93 GC normal running temprature - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 93 GC normal running temprature

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-08-2002, 10:52 AM   #1
Jackylman

93 GC normal running temprature

Whats the normal running temp of the Grand Cherokee 4.0L. In this hot temprature mine is running in between 215 and 220 highway speed 80mph with the A/C on. I can turn the A/C off and it will drop to 210.

Jackylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2002, 01:41 PM   #2
Drafter75

That seems to be in the normal operating temp range for this engine.
[b]Have you hugged your Jeep today?[/b]
Drafter75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2002, 03:49 PM   #3
Jackylman

Thanks for the info. It just seems a little high to me. Especially when in the winter or cooler weather I can't get it to break 210.
Unread 07-09-2002, 10:03 PM   #4
Intrepidjeep

Your radiator is probably not flowing as freely as it did in its younger days.

You can certainly try putting in a cooler thermostat.
2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L
Intrepidjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2002, 11:29 AM   #5
Jackylman

Bran new radiator. Water pumps about a year old and the cooling system has been flushed. Went from a 1 core radiator to a 2 core. The one core would just keep on climbing till it pegged out. This 2 core seems to stop at 220. That just sounds high to me though. So I'm looking for information on normal running temps on this engine. Is 220 within its limits or do I need to find away to cool this beast down more?
Unread 07-10-2002, 05:53 PM   #6
Drafter75

Had a 4.0L in an 89 Cherokee. Temp normally ran just a tick under 210 on the gauge. On a hot day with AC, it could run anywhere between 210-225 in stop and go, then back down to 210 on the open highway. Obviously, it's important to keep your coolant fresh, at the proper level, etc... and it sounds like you are.

Since then, I've had 4 JGC's with 5.2L and 4.7L V8's... these all seem to run right in that same range. So like I said before, it's pretty normal and nothing to really worry about. On the other hand, you don't have much of a safety margin in case something happens to REALLY raise the coolant temp. I guess it's a matter of what you're comfortable with.

You may want to consider some type of aux trans cooler. This will help lower your overall temp and also help prevent a trans overtemp condition that will lockout your OD.
[b]Have you hugged your Jeep today?[/b]
Drafter75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.