93 GC 5.2L crankshaft removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 93 GC 5.2L crankshaft removal

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 08-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
va2ir

93 GC 5.2L crankshaft removal

My buddy down the way has a 93 GC with the 5.2L 318 motor. He spun a rod bearing, the rod on number 1 cylinder broke and the engine stopped. Its been examined with a camera, and there is no other damage. After the broken parts were removed, the engine turns easily by hand. Last night we pulled the timing gears off with the chain, and now the crank is ready to drop. He wants to change it for a new one incase the old one got bent.

Question: Does the tranny (auto) have to come off? A local tekkie says the trans can stay on.

Has anyone done a crank removal and re-install on this motor? What is the procedure? he has the Haynes book which is almost useless.

Thanks

Ian R.

va2ir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

I can't think of a way to remove the crank-to-flexplate bolts without removing the transmission.

I've only removed the crank with the motor out. With the timing chain already out, just remove the rod and main caps and the crank comes straight out. Putting it back is more of a challenge due to lining up the rods with the crank. Cover the rod bolts with plastic tubing to protect the crank.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.