93 to 98 ZJ heights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 93 to 98 ZJ heights

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-21-2002, 02:05 PM   #1
jdwiseman

93 to 98 ZJ heights

I have a 94 Limited. My friend has a 98 Laredo. It seems his vehicle is about an inch or two taller than mine. Now, at the risk of seeming to have size issues, I wanted to know why this might be. We have the same size tires and I presume the same size wheels. And my suspension is in good shape. Finally, his vehicle is stock.

Any thoughts? I figured maybe it was just how the 96 to 98s were made.

John

jdwiseman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2002, 02:52 PM   #2
Big Dumb White Guy

older springs????

A guy walks into the psychiatrist office wearing only Glad Wrap shorts. The shrink says, "Well, I can clearly see you're nuts."
Big Dumb White Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2002, 05:51 PM   #3
Beerman

maybe your friend has the up country package.
Unread 02-23-2002, 02:25 AM   #4
The Grand Pooh-Bah
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

The UC or Up Country option included springs that would raise the vehicle about 1" higher then the same vehicle without the package. It also include the factory tow hooks, skid plates and HD shocks. Another reason he might be higher is the engine. Do you both have the same engine? The Grand Cherokee ZJ model came with three engines 4.0 I6, 5.2 V-8, and 5.9 V-8 (98 only). The age of the spring are another factor.

The Grand Pooh-Bah
Unread 02-23-2002, 09:51 AM   #5
jdwiseman

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grand Pooh-Bah:
The UC or Up Country option included springs that would raise the vehicle about 1" higher then the same vehicle without the package. It also include the factory tow hooks, skid plates and HD shocks. Another reason he might be higher is the engine. Do you both have the same engine? The Grand Cherokee ZJ model came with three engines 4.0 I6, 5.2 V-8, and 5.9 V-8 (98 only). The age of the spring are another factor.

The Grand Pooh-Bah
I don't think he has the Up Country package. I have noticed no tow hooks, nor does he have trailer hitches and I sincerely doubt he has the skid plates. His 98 was a former rental for a year. I doubt seriously that the rental company would have gone for much more than the basics.

For some reason, the engine size did not occur to me. He has the 4.0 while I have the 5.2 Litre. Seems mine is lower in the back too.

I have a few more miles than he does, but not by much at all considering the year difference. Even before I noticed his slight difference in height, I was considering rasing mine. I was just not sure if I wanted to buy a lift kit that would raise it too much.

Anyway, it's a low priority right now.

Thanks!

John
Unread 02-26-2002, 07:51 PM   #6
WharfRat123

Age will sag springs just as much as mileage will.

My bet is that it is spring sag plus engine weight.

What is this about lifting too much? If you are under 7", you're doing just fine, IMHO
Unread 02-28-2002, 09:17 AM   #7
jdwiseman

Quote:
Originally posted by Wharf Rat:
What is this about lifting too much? If you are under 7", you're doing just fine, IMHO
That's strange. According to one girl I dated, it was the other way around.

John
Unread 03-02-2002, 02:15 PM   #8
Mike Tedeschi

Hey, my jeep has 133,000 miles on it, and i used to have that same sag you speak of where your jeep just looks old and low to the ground, and the new ones look perky and higher off the ground. I replaced my coil springs myself, not that hard if you like to take things apart and are mechanically inclined, and i'm only 17 so...

here are the part numbers for your v8 stock springs WITH UPCOUNTRY PACKAGE:

Front: 5208 8363 spring with code "GN"
Rear: 5208 9145 spring with code "JJ"

i dont really know what the spring codes are so, this will make your jeep one inch higher than when it was new, prob two inches higher than it is now.

hope i was able to help,
Mike Tedeschi
[b]Black 1995 ZJ Laredo[/b] American Racing 15x7 AR-136 wheels, Wrangler GSA 235-75R15, Manik Brush Guard, Boston Pro Series Components, Kenwood Head Unit, two A/D/S/ PQ20s and two A/D/S/ 12 inch subs.
Mike Tedeschi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2002, 02:05 AM   #9
jdwiseman

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Tedeschi:

here are the part numbers for your v8 stock springs WITH UPCOUNTRY PACKAGE:

Front: 5208 8363 spring with code "GN"
Rear: 5208 9145 spring with code "JJ"

i dont really know what the spring codes are so, this will make your jeep one inch higher than when it was new, prob two inches higher than it is now.

hope i was able to help,
Mike Tedeschi
Thanks for the information. I hate to admit that I don't know exactly what the UPCOUNTRY PACKAGE is exactly, but I have stored your post for future reference. One thing at a time. ;o)

That said, I have one more question....What if I just got a 1 3/4 lift kit. I have seen these on ebay for about $120. Would this be a poor Quick Fix on my part?

Oh, and if I ever wanted to replace my leather seats (the driver's seat is beginning to show wear), can I order this from Jeep, or would I end up having to re-do the entire vehicle?

Of course maybe I should post that in its own message.

Thanks again!
Unread 03-18-2002, 12:27 AM   #10
PEEJ JZ

buget boost kits are good for short term, rubicon makes a great one the RE8030 1.5" economy kit, you can see it on they're website rubiconexpress.com and the good thing about them is that if/when you do put on a suspension lift you can use the spacers for added hight for bigger tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.