93 to 96 Engine swap. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 93 to 96 Engine swap.

New Hours at RUFFSTUFF!Enjoy 5% off in April 2000-2006 Jeep Wrangler Ignition CoiEnjoy 5% off in April 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler Door Weather

Unread 04-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #1
skit6x

93 to 96 Engine swap.

Can I swap a 318 and tranny from a 93 Grand Cherokee Laredo to a 96 Grand Cherokee Laredo?

skit6x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2015, 02:48 PM   #2
kachink
1998 ZJ 

I haven't had direct experience with this, but it's my understanding that you can swap an ODBI (93-95) engine to an ODBII (96-98) ZJ, but you need to use all the sensors, etc from the later engine. Transmission is going to be a different story. 93 is going to have a 46RH hydraulically controlled transmission, which I believe has a separate TCM, where the 96 transmission is controlled by the PCM, which is going to be expecting a 44RE, electrically controlled transmission.

I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable will chime in, but I don't the transmission swap would be simple.
kachink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2015, 03:13 PM   #3
skit6x

Thanks for the information. Sounds like it would require plenty of work.
Unread 04-19-2015, 04:06 PM   #4
Taz360ZJ

yeah you can long block the '93 engine, and use it in the '96, the trans will not exactly swap over. the RH series is hydraulically controlled and the OD is separately controlled, and the RE series is electronically controlled. plus the RH is longer anyway, you would need the shafts, etc. it will cause all sorts if mayhem with the computer trying to find the trans.
Taz360ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #5
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz360ZJ View Post
yeah you can long block the '93 engine, and use it in the '96, the trans will not exactly swap over. the RH series is hydraulically controlled and the OD is separately controlled, and the RE series is electronically controlled. plus the RH is longer anyway, you would need the shafts, etc. it will cause all sorts if mayhem with the computer trying to find the trans.
Pretty much right on ^

In addition, to put the 46rh in the 96 you would have to treat the trans like a manual trans, PCM wise. Either sct $$$ or dodge manual trans PCM from a 96 ram or maybe dakota. Then you'll need a separate tcm for the 46rh, I don't believe they are cheap either.
Unread 04-19-2015, 09:54 PM   #6
dflewelling
1995 ZJ 

The engine would be easy. I did the reverse half of what you're pondering. I took a 96 318 and put it in my 95 just ditched the obdII sensors. The 46Rh has no tcm, the only electronically controlled function is the torque converter lockup, and that's controlled by the PCM. The rest is all hydraulic pressure controlled.The 46rh is a good transmission, but you'd require modifications to make it work.
dflewelling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 02:42 PM   #7
skit6x

I'm just going to rebuild my i6. Too good of a motor to switch. Hard to believe I made it drop a piston. Tough old motors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.