93-95 ZJ cabin filter (with pics) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 93-95 ZJ cabin filter (with pics)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing our NEW JK tail light adapter wiring harness!!

Unread 03-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

93-95 ZJ cabin filter (with pics)

I got new wipers today. And since I was there to change them, I decided to take half an hour and do a cabin filter mod I was planning on doing for a month now. The idea is to stop the fumes and various other funky smells that come in cabin when standing still in city traffic.

Duration: 30 min
Difficulty: none
Cost: $5 (probably much less in the US)
Tools: phillips screwdriver (5 cowl bolts), flat-head screwdriver (lever to remove wiper arms), cutting blade (for the filter material), zip-ties (to fix the filter material to the grille)
Parts: filter material (for the kitchen aspirator, it says it filters odours, it's made for filtering odours - it's gotta work here too)

(click on images to enlarge)

1. Remove wiper blades & arms. This is pretty straight-forward: pull the little securing pin and lift the entire blade/arm. Remove both, of course.

Note the leafs and grawel here, just waiting to get sucked in and launched through the air ducts:

2. Remove 5 screws holding the cowl down. Remove the rubber thing that runs along the cowl from the engine side. No glue here, just pull it out. Then lift the cowl, and push it towards the windshield. You can't remove it from the ZJ without disconnecting the washer tube, so I just lifted it enough to clear the space needed.

3. On the passenger side, in the firewall, locate the "mighty grid" protecting the air intake for the cabin. Remove the 3 plastic pins holding the "mighty grid" (it's "mighty" because it couldn't filter anything smaller than an air-to-ground missile).

If I knew those darn pins are so stubborn to get out, I would have bought new pins and just cut the existing ones - unfortunately, saturday afternoon most stores are closed around here.

6. Take the said grid home, lay it on a piece of filter intended for kitchen aspirator, and cut it more or less along the grid. The filter costed some US$5 here, and there's enough material for 8-10 filters, maybe even more.

7. I didn't even have the zip-ties I wanted to use to fix the filter material to the grid (on the inside of the grid), so I used some insulating tape (for insulating wires) I had by hand. It's not pretty but it works. Will get zip-ties for the next filter change, though. I want that to look nice, although nobody would ever see it.

8. Return everything back the way it was (grille with filter to the firewall, cowl, cowl rubber, cowl bolts, wipers)

The aftermath
I did a 20-minute drive in town, and I didn't get the nasty smells or fumes I usually get. OK, the traffic wasn't as it's in the peak hours, but still - no funky smells entered. For the 30' job this was, I am happy with how it came out. The most difficult part here was to remove the wiper blades and to pry out the darn plastic pins. Next time I'll get new pins and the smalles zip-ties to put on the filter.

Well, that's it - off to have a beer now. Cheers!

Unread 03-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
harwood909
1995 ZJ 

Very nice right-up. JEEPS WORLD WIDE

Literally Built
harwood909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I'm in the A/C trade so its why I,m cautioning you on this. A cabin air filter is a great idea as long as its changed often. WJ's use a pleated filter that takes awhile to clog up. If you let it go too far the fan will overheat or take out the resistor block or reduce your airflow and cause freeze up problems with the a/c. I just don't like fooling with the wiper arms cause I'm lazyLOL. So change it when it gets dirty.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

Thanx for the heads up! I belive I'm gonna check on the filter every 4 months or so, just to make sure it's clean

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 03-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
a70eliminator

That looks like a particulate filter? there are specialty filters designed to eliminate odor causing fumes, I traveled through Georgia last week and sure could have used one.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 01:05 AM   #6
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

It's a filter that's used in kitchen aspirator (dunno the name in english, sorry) - the thing you have above your cooking post that sucks up odours and fumes and sends it through the tube to the outside.

Like this: http://image.shutterstock.com/displa...n-64419199.jpg

I tried putting the filter over my mouth and it really doesn't constrict my breathing. A little bit, of course, but it's so little I hardly noticed. It is designed to have the air sucked through it and to clean it of odours, that's why I opted for it. And still, since the grid I tied the filter to is not a tight fit, and the filter doesn't have that rubber gasket on the edges (like air filter for the engine), it's not air-tight, in sense that some air can still pass by the filter on the edges of the grid/filter combo.
Still, I hope it would last for 4 months - we'll see in july when I open it and post back the it's state
Unread 03-07-2011, 01:26 AM   #7
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

I hate outside smells from other vehicles also, this is why i turn the recirculate on. Blocks air from outside and uses air from in the Jeep. Thanks for the write up tho if i ever want to do something like this i will give it try
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 01:30 AM   #8
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Where that filter is located, a little tip would be if you started losing air volume in all positions except "MAX" then the filter is getting restricted. That will work only if that fresh air inlet is sealed up pretty tight which I doubt. MAX/Recirc air will not go through that filter setup so you might notice if its clogging up before you have to remove the cowl panels again.

Anyway nice write up, let us know how its working.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 02:35 AM   #9
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

^^dat true. Saw it the moment I put the filter on and back to the Jeep - it's not gonna be a really tight filter. But since I was there already, I did it anyways. Should stop most of the odours, I presume. Next time I open it and check for resctrictions (and possibly change the filter), if I'm happy how it works I'm gonna put some silicone all around there to seal off the holes completely thus allowing the air only throug the filter.

My other idea was to buy a piece of cork-board, the thin kind, and to cut it in the way it fits over the hole(s) in the firewall, and approx 1/2" over. Then, I'd cut some wire net (with holes similar to those of the original grille). I'd put the filter on the same way I did now, but I'd drill a few more holes to hold the grille better (like in all 5 corners and maybe 2 more in the middle of longer sides) to keep it tight.

But that's not gonna happen before I see how this works...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.