93 5.2 wont stay running - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 93 5.2 wont stay running

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 12-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
dpshoup
2002 WJ 

93 5.2 wont stay running

Went out today to do some shopping, ran fine....come out of one store, started up and was running rough, no response to throttle...engine died. Waited about 5-10 min, jiggled wires at the coil, IAC, distrib, etc...started up and got us across the street to the next store...kept it running while daughter went in store...died again, restarted fine, held it at about 2k RPM, died again and wouldnt restart. Got it towed home....all thoughts welcome...

Has fuel on the rail...

[COLOR="DarkRed"]02 WJ-4.7 My DD[/COLOR] [04 WJ-4.0, 00 XJ-4.0 Gone]
[COLOR="SandyBrown"]03 WJ-4.0 Dau #1 DD[/COLOR]
93 ZJ-5.2 Dau #2 DD

[COLOR="Blue"]USN Jeep Club #153[/COLOR]
dpshoup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Has fuel at the rail or fuel PRESSURE at the rail?

check your coil, they like to crack when they get wet or in cold weather.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
RedRocket1994
1994 ZJ 

There was also a TSB really early on (1994, I think), concerning the effects of heat on the coil. If there is a crack, especially, it will start acting funny when hot. See if it runs any better when it's cold.

Remember: Every time you call a Jeep a "car", God kills a kitten.

[COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club #657[/COLOR]
RedRocket1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
dpshoup
2002 WJ 

Update

Have spark from the coil and at the plugs. No pressure on the rail. Got a pressure tester and replaced fuel filter. Still no pressure. Fuel pump relay tests good...

Guess I will replace fuel pump tomorrow. Getting dark now and jeep is at the end of the driveway on the side of the road...

Bad thing is I just filled the tank day before yesterday....

93 ZJ-5.2 Dau #2 DD

Unread 12-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

This comes from the 1998 Jeep ZJ manual, specifically a ZJ with a 5.2 engine. It should be the same for your vehicle and engine.

FUEL PUMP PRESSURE TEST WITH PRESSURE TEST PORT

Check Valve Operation: The electric fuel pump outlet contains a one-way check valve to prevent fuel flow back into the tank and to maintain fuel supply line pressure (engine warm) when pump is not operational. It is also used to keep the fuel supply line full of gasoline when pump is not operational. After the vehicle has cooled down, fuel pressure may drop to 0 psi (cold fluid contracts), but liquid gasoline will remain in fuel supply line between the check valve and fuel injectors. Fuel pressure that has dropped to 0 psi on a cooled down vehicle (engine off) is a normal condition. When the electric fuel pump is activated, fuel pressure should immediately rise to specification.

NOTE: The fuel pressure test port is used on certain engines only. The test port will be located on the fuel rail near the throttle position sensor. A sealing cap is screwed onto the test port.

All fuel systems are equipped with a fuel tank module mounted, combination fuel filter/fuel pressure regulator. The fuel pressure regulator is not controlled by engine vacuum.

WARNING: The fuel system is under constant fuel pressure even with the engine off. Before disconnecting fuel line at fuel rail, this pressure must be released. Refer to the fuel system pressure release procedure.

1. Remove the protective cap at the fuel rail test port. Connect the (0-60 psi) fuel pressure gauge to the test port pressure fitting on the fuel rail.
2. Start and warm the engine and note pressure gauge reading. Fuel pressure should be (49 psi +/- 5 psi) at idle.
3. If engine runs but pressure is below 44 psi , check for a kinked fuel supply line somewhere between fuel rail and fuel pump module. If line is not kinked, replace fuel pump module assembly.
4. If operating pressure is above 54 psi , electric fuel pump is OK, but fuel pressure regulator is defective. Replace fuel filter/fuel pressure regulator.

In my neck of the woods, the fuel pump module costs around $300 at Jeep. It includes the fuel pump, the fuel sender and the fuel pump regulator. It is simple to do, the biggest thing is dropping your tank. I hope this helps.

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
dpshoup
2002 WJ 

New fuel pump....works like a charm.

93 ZJ-5.2 Dau #2 DD

Unread 12-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Fantastic... I am glad you are going!

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.