93 4.0l ZJ Alternator Test good but won't charge! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 93 4.0l ZJ Alternator Test good but won't charge!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-01-2008, 07:30 AM   #1
nkropelnicki
1993 ZJ 

93 4.0l ZJ Alternator Test good but won't charge!

I'm a newbie to Jeeps, just bought mine a couple weeks ago, however for some reason, the alternator isn't charging the battery! pulled the alternator, & tested out @ 60 amps, so i know it puts out. I had corrosion, so i changed the cables out, & i checked the fuses & the ground connection as well as the belt tension and everything checked out fine. A couple times, i could turn on the a/c & the voltmeter would jump from my 9 volts to 14 instantly, but now it won't even go to 12 volts, even @ 2,500rpm. I've looked on the forums & found something in relation to the regulator in the ECU, but after a reset, i still cannot find the source of the problem! Can someone help me so i don't have to continue driving my wife's (Pink) car to work???

nkropelnicki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
sandman
1993 ZJ 

do you have a good ground?
Unread 09-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
nkropelnicki
1993 ZJ 

Of course i do, i only drive on pavement until i get good at working on them.

I am SO kidding.

"...i checked the fuses & the ground connection as well as the belt tension and everything checked out fine."
Unread 09-01-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
mopar3389
1998 TJ Wrangler 

get the battery tested. seems too simple but I've seen the same thing happen a few times before. If it's good, you might have an issue with the battery losing power some other way, but I'd need more detail on that to help you.
Unread 09-01-2008, 04:17 PM   #5
nkropelnicki
1993 ZJ 

Yeah it's a brand new battery, & i had it tested also, & they said it's good.
Unread 09-02-2008, 08:28 AM   #6
jeepinjoe123
1994 ZJ 

i know u said u checked the fuses but change the two generator output fuses in the engine bay fusebox fixed my problem
1994 JGC limited 5.2l 4in F>R swap 31in. dune grapplers, soft 8's, flowmaster 40 series and duals out the sides, taurus e-fan, high flow intake, 231 swap, 44a swap, NGK plugs, Shell 93 octane only, homemade choppped and drilled light bar, gold>black stripes, in the process of making true cowl induction hood and putting 96-98 cladding, bumper cover, and grill on
jeepinjoe123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
nkropelnicki
1993 ZJ 

the two 60's, correct?
Unread 09-07-2008, 02:37 PM   #8
jeepinjoe123
1994 ZJ 

yes sir
i changed those two and my problem was gona both times
1994 JGC limited 5.2l 4in F>R swap 31in. dune grapplers, soft 8's, flowmaster 40 series and duals out the sides, taurus e-fan, high flow intake, 231 swap, 44a swap, NGK plugs, Shell 93 octane only, homemade choppped and drilled light bar, gold>black stripes, in the process of making true cowl induction hood and putting 96-98 cladding, bumper cover, and grill on
jeepinjoe123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #9
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

I had a problem with my 94 ZJ. Had battery tested, they said it was good. Tested alternator, tested good but changed anywas since they said the battery passed load test. Ended up being battery all along, couldn't even jump start with cables.
jabsther is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2008, 06:16 PM   #10
nkropelnicki
1993 ZJ 

The battery is brand new, & It runs fine on a full charge... until the battery dies. I pulled the alternator out (PITA!!!) & it tested good @ autozone.

They suggested that I need to replace the ECM due to a faulty voltage regulator, but i've read on different forums that have said some alternators have built in regulators... So on my 93 ZJ 4.0l, is the regulator on that little wiring harness that connects to the alternator, or am i truly screwed?

Battery - ok
wiring - clean, no corrosino
ground - good,
belt tension, good
fuses & relays are good
alternator - good

and if it is on the ECM, can i just rig a voltage regulator on the output, & go straight to the battery?
Unread 09-10-2008, 06:23 PM   #11
nkropelnicki
1993 ZJ 

I also did a close circuit test, where you check to make sure there is no power going anywhere while it's off, I pulled the fuse on the IOD, & disconnected the positive cable & connected the ground of a test light to the battery & connected the probe to the cable, & verified there are no open circuits, unless IOD is plugged in.
Unread 10-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #12
1989Cherokee
2001 XJ Cherokee 

First off, sorry to revive an old post.

nkropelnicki, did you ever find a definitive answer as to what was causing your alternator problems and did you get it fixed? I'm only wondering because I also have a '93 ZJ 4.0 and am having the same problem, when I start the jeep the alternator gauge will not go up, it stays in the red area. Then, after a while of driving it finally goes up and charges at about 14. I have also checked my grounds and had my alternator tested and it passed with flying colors. Thanks for any help, and sorry again about reviving the old post.
4.5" RC Lift, Adj Upper and Lower CA's, TC Drop
30x9.5x15 Mud Kings on stock steel rims
1989Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2008, 05:11 AM   #13
nkropelnicki
1993 ZJ 

Yeah it seems temperature related, because when it get's cold, it charges great & once it gets hot, it doesn't work so well, so i'm suspecting that maybe the coil doesn't make great contact when warm.. phantom prob i think on my end.
Unread 10-29-2008, 04:04 PM   #14
1989Cherokee
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkropelnicki View Post
Yeah it seems temperature related, because when it get's cold, it charges great & once it gets hot, it doesn't work so well, so i'm suspecting that maybe the coil doesn't make great contact when warm.. phantom prob i think on my end.
mine seems like it could be temperature related like you say because now that the weather is cold, I am having this problem almost everyday, where as when the weather was warm, it would only happen on rare occasions, I hope this doesn't turn out to be one of those phantom electric problems
4.5" RC Lift, Adj Upper and Lower CA's, TC Drop
30x9.5x15 Mud Kings on stock steel rims
1989Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #15
stockline19
1994 ZJ 

if you think its temp. related try going out in the cold (when the problem is happening) and take a heat gun (gently, dont melt anything or burn anything up) start warming up your components until the symptoms are gone, start with the alternator and pcm and work your way around fuses and modules and all that good stuff, see if anything works for you
stockline19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.