90,000 mile service - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 90,000 mile service

2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-16-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
lsejlowe
2002 WJ 

90,000 mile service

I'm rolling up on 90K in my '02 Overland and want to do a full round of preventative maintenance. The stealership wants $600 for their standard 90K maintenance routine. WTF are they thinking? Here's what I'm planning on:

-Oil change
-spark plugs
-coolant drain and refill
-front axle oil change w/ limited slip additive
-rear axle (DANA 35) oil change w/ limited slip additive
-transmission drain and refill, new filters
-transfer case fluid change
-general check of suspension and steering

Anything I should look for in the transmission while the pan is off? I know these things have a terrible track record, but I haven't noticed any real problems yet. WJjeeps says not to mix other coolant with the Mopar stuff. Am I fine just draining the radiator and block and filling it back up? On the DANA 35, do I just pry that rubber plug out, or is there more finesse to it? Should I use the Mopar oils in the differentials with Mopar limited slip additive, or am I fine using Lucas and Mobil 1 with a different brand additive?

What else would you guys add to the list?
TIA

lsejlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsejlowe View Post
I'm rolling up on 90K in my '02 Overland and want to do a full round of preventative maintenance. The stealership wants $600 for their standard 90K maintenance routine. WTF are they thinking? Here's what I'm planning on:

-Oil change
-spark plugs
-coolant drain and refill
-front axle oil change w/ limited slip additive
-rear axle (DANA 35) oil change w/ limited slip additive
-transmission drain and refill, new filters
-transfer case fluid change
-general check of suspension and steering

Anything I should look for in the transmission while the pan is off? I know these things have a terrible track record, but I haven't noticed any real problems yet. WJjeeps says not to mix other coolant with the Mopar stuff. Am I fine just draining the radiator and block and filling it back up? On the DANA 35, do I just pry that rubber plug out, or is there more finesse to it? Should I use the Mopar oils in the differentials with Mopar limited slip additive, or am I fine using Lucas and Mobil 1 with a different brand additive?

What else would you guys add to the list?
TIA
Maybe consider greasing the suspension components.

If you are draining the coolant, probally wouldn't hurt to flush it at the same time.

I have just pried the the plug out off the differential with a large, flat screwdriver.

the other stuff I am not sure about because I have a ZJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

drain and fill the radiator. Back flush the heater core and everything to get as much out as possible. That will get rid of most to all the fluid, then you can put the coolant you want in it.

I would take the diff covers off to change the fluids, that way you can take a look at the internals.

Make sure you replace both trans filters, there are two.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
CMARJEEP
2001 WJ 

You have a Dana 44a not a 35....
Unread 08-16-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
lsejlowe
2002 WJ 

thanks for the replies. What do you mean when you say to backflush the heater core? I was thinking about just draining the radiator and block, filling with distilled water, running it for a few minutes (with heater on full blast), draining it all again, and then filling with 50/50 coolant and distilled water. Seem like it'll work?

As for the DANA 35/44 question... when I looked underneath I saw only a rubber plug, no metal threaded plug. I'll look for a stamping to confirm, but I think I've got the 35. Was the Overland supposed to come with a 44 in 2002?

If I pull the diff covers, do I just use a bead of RTV when re-installing? Or is there a gasket?
lsejlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Backflushing involves buying a Prestone back flush kit at auto zone and connecting a garden hose to one of your heater core hoses to really flush things out.

After you drain the radiator you will want to run a garden hose through it before you fill it with water and let it run a while. I would use regular water, not distilled, while running it for a few minutes, just to not waste $ on distilled water. Use distilled with the coolant.

The V8 always came with the 44a. Its not a 35 or a 44, its a 44a. The center ection housing is aluminum.

Some companies do, but I dont think Mopar makes a gasket for the 44a. I always use RTV, its much cheaper than a gasket.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2008, 09:27 PM   #7
reneveah
2003 WJ 

Another Post

Last edited by reneveah; 08-16-2008 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: Snother post
reneveah is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.