8.8 brake options - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 8.8 brake options

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

8.8 brake options

hey, picking up an 8.8 with drums on it.

just wondering, will my discs from my D35 work? if not, will the backing plates from a junkyard 8.8 work? (and perhaps use pads/rotors from my D35)

just throwin ideas out there.

thanks

13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

gonna hit the JY this weekend and grab some 8.8 backing plates and caliper mounts. we'll see if the stock jeep stuff works or not.
Unread 12-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

I've never done that particular swap (as you well know haha) but I seem to remember reading that the backing plate bolt pattern was the same on 8.8s and D35s, making the discs a direct swap.

Of course, I also figure you've got enough D35 parts kicking around to check that theory, eh?
Unread 12-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post
gonna hit the JY this weekend and grab some 8.8 backing plates and caliper mounts. we'll see if the stock jeep stuff works or not.
Post back up if they do. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a free 8.8 that's drums. With the prices that JY's around here want for axles, I'd be willing to bet I could come in under that price for the conversion.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
edpmedic
1995 ZJ 

Is the ABS going to work right with the conversion?
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Feel the Sunshine on your face
edpmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSplat View Post
I've never done that particular swap (as you well know haha) but I seem to remember reading that the backing plate bolt pattern was the same on 8.8s and D35s, making the discs a direct swap.

Of course, I also figure you've got enough D35 parts kicking around to check that theory, eh?
they are "close" requires egging out a couple holes and opening up the id of the whole plate.
i put 44a backing plates, calipers, and rotors on mine because the 8.8 stuff was too rusty to reuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edpmedic View Post
Is the ABS going to work right with the conversion?
short version. it takes a lot of extra work.
you can wire in the 8.8 sensor and grind every other tab off the reluctor ring on the carrier. but zj abs is next to worthless so it's definitely not something i'd put effort into.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
they are "close" requires egging out a couple holes and opening up the id of the whole plate.
i put 44a backing plates, calipers, and rotors on mine because the 8.8 stuff was too rusty to reuse.

short version. it takes a lot of extra work.
you can wire in the 8.8 sensor and grind every other tab off the reluctor ring on the carrier. but zj abs is next to worthless so it's definitely not something i'd put effort into.
i've got enough ZJ axles Trev u know it! a 44a here, a couple 35s, maybe an 8.8 lol

i think i might try finding the backing plates off a 95 and up exploder; IF i can find an exploder with the right setup thats not rusted to pewp. worst case scenario is it doesn't work, i'm out 20$ and i bolt up the D44a stuff that we know fits.

thats for the heads up ratmonkey!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.