8.8 brake calipers- will zj calipers go on an 8.8? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 Old 09-26-2012, 06:43 PM
riot1987
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,038
My jeep is like a woman. Give me money. and more money ..and more money. AND MORE MONEY!!!!!!! Thanks for the input dudeskies


http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/riots-97-grand-1436100/

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 28 Old 09-27-2012, 09:47 AM
JohnnyZJ
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I guess you missed the bit about having to ream the bore out and drill the holes right.

I used the 44a backing plate/dust shield and the cast mount/slide piece from the 8.8 because it had smaller divots.

Used the zj calipers, ebrake, rotor, etc.
oh. that must have been a pain in the butt. i kind of figured thats what you did after i put this post in. i'm lazy and my times worth more than making crap work. took me 20 mins to pull brake plates off a junkyard axle, and i grabbed side gears and spare shafts for pewps and giggles. you didn't post that in this thread though I'm sure you've posted it numerous times.

to OP, if you're NOT a handy fabricator (like myself) i'd look for the Ford stuff; its not that expensive and it'll all bolt together nicely.

07' JKUR rollin on 35s
JohnnyZJ is offline  
post #18 of 28 Old 10-02-2012, 07:52 PM
riot1987
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,038
My ZJ calipers worked on a 97 exploder 8.8. Rotors too

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/riots-97-grand-1436100/

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline  
post #19 of 28 Old 02-04-2013, 07:11 AM
KyBoy1991
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Louisville
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
My ZJ calipers worked on a 97 exploder 8.8. Rotors too
I know this thread has been idle for a few months...but I just finally got mine 8.8 swapped in this past Saturday...

I was able to reuse my ZJ D35 Calipers, Rotors, & E-Brake Cables on the 8.8 from a 98 explorer. The 8.8 had some clip like things where the brake pads sit/slide...removed those because they wouldn't fit otherwise. And they were not on my D35, so figured it was a non essential and maybe only a smooth surface to allow sliding easier or just used for quieting any rattles. Eitherway, the pads do not touch there now, shouldn't be a problem, they fit, they work perfectly.

No need to replace the brakes on my 98 Limited.
KyBoy1991 is offline  
post #20 of 28 Old 02-04-2013, 07:46 AM
riot1987
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBoy1991 View Post
I know this thread has been idle for a few months...but I just finally got mine 8.8 swapped in this past Saturday...

I was able to reuse my ZJ D35 Calipers, Rotors, & E-Brake Cables on the 8.8 from a 98 explorer. The 8.8 had some clip like things where the brake pads sit/slide...removed those because they wouldn't fit otherwise. And they were not on my D35, so figured it was a non essential and maybe only a smooth surface to allow sliding easier or just used for quieting any rattles. Eitherway, the pads do not touch there now, shouldn't be a problem, they fit, they work perfectly.

No need to replace the brakes on my 98 Limited.
I didnt use the slider pieces on mine either.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/riots-97-grand-1436100/

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline  
post #21 of 28 Old 02-04-2013, 08:41 AM
Freestyle713
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,380
You might as well just get new calipers anyway. At advance, the core is worth almost the same price of the caliper, so in the end you're really only spending 5 or 10 bucks for a new (reman) caliper that you don't have to modify.

94 Grand Cherokee 5.2 33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcorvino View Post
Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottD16 View Post
I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.
Freestyle713 is offline  
post #22 of 28 Old 02-04-2013, 09:31 AM
KyBoy1991
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Louisville
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle713 View Post
You might as well just get new calipers anyway. At advance, the core is worth almost the same price of the caliper, so in the end you're really only spending 5 or 10 bucks for a new (reman) caliper that you don't have to modify.
While this may be true, there was NO mods to mine. that's the whole point here...the ZJ calipers mounted right up. No need to bleed brakes or deal with anything.....unbolt then rebolt to the new axle and drive away.
KyBoy1991 is offline  
post #23 of 28 Old 02-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Freestyle713
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBoy1991 View Post
While this may be true, there was NO mods to mine. that's the whole point here...the ZJ calipers mounted right up. No need to bleed brakes or deal with anything.....unbolt then rebolt to the new axle and drive away.
Yeah, thats you though. It seems as if some people can swap theirs no problem, and others cant get them to work, like johnnyzj.

94 Grand Cherokee 5.2 33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcorvino View Post
Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottD16 View Post
I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.
Freestyle713 is offline  
post #24 of 28 Old 02-04-2013, 12:41 PM
KyBoy1991
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Louisville
Posts: 686
Maybe there is something that changed from the years of the jeep D35....not sure....most I've seen looks like the 96-98 D35 seems to bolt right up to the 96-98 explorer 8.8

Thank God I got lucky is all i can say.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0290.jpg  
KyBoy1991 is offline  
post #25 of 28 Old 02-05-2013, 03:13 PM
plntman
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: conway
Posts: 37
if the 8.8 is stronger why do you need that big truss on the axle. I have the 8.8 under mine and the brakes that I just put on my 35 fit on the 8.8.
plntman is offline  
post #26 of 28 Old 02-05-2013, 04:08 PM
riot1987
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by plntman View Post
if the 8.8 is stronger why do you need that big truss on the axle. I have the 8.8 under mine and the brakes that I just put on my 35 fit on the 8.8.
You gotta have brackets on the axle anyways and when I researched it, it was worth the little bit extra money for the complete truss.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/riots-97-grand-1436100/

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline  
post #27 of 28 Old 02-06-2013, 01:03 AM
MilanJeep
Registered User
 
MilanJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 293
My Dana 35 rotors and calipers were a direct fit

98 5.9 ZJ - 4.5" lift, 33x12.50 MT/R Kevlars
02 Z06 - Supercharged, E85, lots of rwhp, built and tuned by me

Milan
MilanJeep is offline  
post #28 of 28 Old 02-06-2013, 06:43 AM
KyBoy1991
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Louisville
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
You gotta have brackets on the axle anyways and when I researched it, it was worth the little bit extra money for the complete truss.
Exactly what he said...I got one of the first runs of the Artec kit, and it was within $20 of the IRO bracket kit. Had I not received the huge discount, or just gotten lucky to find it, I would have went with a regular bracket kit and welded the tubes and called it good. Now this way, if I decided to get stupid later in life I know there's no way I will worry with that axle. It was just too good of a deal to pass up at the time....but if I had to buy them at this point I wouldn't have gone with the truss just because of money.
KyBoy1991 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Teves calipers to Akebono calipers 2002WJHO WJ Grand Cherokee Forum 69 08-05-2012 12:13 PM
How do I know what brake calipers I have? gmp211 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 4 09-03-2009 10:07 AM
WJ Brake Calipers 01Limited45324 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 8 07-07-2009 08:19 PM
Brake calipers zaq123 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 3 09-26-2005 07:42 PM
How do I tell which brake calipers I have? askoop ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 5 03-01-2005 12:59 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome