8.8 brake calipers- will zj calipers go on an 8.8? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 8.8 brake calipers- will zj calipers go on an 8.8?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #16
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

My jeep is like a woman. Give me money. and more money ..and more money. AND MORE MONEY!!!!!!! Thanks for the input dudeskies

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #17
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I guess you missed the bit about having to ream the bore out and drill the holes right.

I used the 44a backing plate/dust shield and the cast mount/slide piece from the 8.8 because it had smaller divots.

Used the zj calipers, ebrake, rotor, etc.
oh. that must have been a pain in the butt. i kind of figured thats what you did after i put this post in. i'm lazy and my times worth more than making crap work. took me 20 mins to pull brake plates off a junkyard axle, and i grabbed side gears and spare shafts for pewps and giggles. you didn't post that in this thread though I'm sure you've posted it numerous times.

to OP, if you're NOT a handy fabricator (like myself) i'd look for the Ford stuff; its not that expensive and it'll all bolt together nicely.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #18
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

My ZJ calipers worked on a 97 exploder 8.8. Rotors too

Build thread^^
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #19
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
My ZJ calipers worked on a 97 exploder 8.8. Rotors too
I know this thread has been idle for a few months...but I just finally got mine 8.8 swapped in this past Saturday...

I was able to reuse my ZJ D35 Calipers, Rotors, & E-Brake Cables on the 8.8 from a 98 explorer. The 8.8 had some clip like things where the brake pads sit/slide...removed those because they wouldn't fit otherwise. And they were not on my D35, so figured it was a non essential and maybe only a smooth surface to allow sliding easier or just used for quieting any rattles. Eitherway, the pads do not touch there now, shouldn't be a problem, they fit, they work perfectly.

No need to replace the brakes on my 98 Limited.
KyBoy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #20
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBoy1991 View Post
I know this thread has been idle for a few months...but I just finally got mine 8.8 swapped in this past Saturday...

I was able to reuse my ZJ D35 Calipers, Rotors, & E-Brake Cables on the 8.8 from a 98 explorer. The 8.8 had some clip like things where the brake pads sit/slide...removed those because they wouldn't fit otherwise. And they were not on my D35, so figured it was a non essential and maybe only a smooth surface to allow sliding easier or just used for quieting any rattles. Eitherway, the pads do not touch there now, shouldn't be a problem, they fit, they work perfectly.

No need to replace the brakes on my 98 Limited.
I didnt use the slider pieces on mine either.

Build thread^^
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #21
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

You might as well just get new calipers anyway. At advance, the core is worth almost the same price of the caliper, so in the end you're really only spending 5 or 10 bucks for a new (reman) caliper that you don't have to modify.
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #22
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle713 View Post
You might as well just get new calipers anyway. At advance, the core is worth almost the same price of the caliper, so in the end you're really only spending 5 or 10 bucks for a new (reman) caliper that you don't have to modify.
While this may be true, there was NO mods to mine. that's the whole point here...the ZJ calipers mounted right up. No need to bleed brakes or deal with anything.....unbolt then rebolt to the new axle and drive away.
Unread 02-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #23
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBoy1991 View Post
While this may be true, there was NO mods to mine. that's the whole point here...the ZJ calipers mounted right up. No need to bleed brakes or deal with anything.....unbolt then rebolt to the new axle and drive away.
Yeah, thats you though. It seems as if some people can swap theirs no problem, and others cant get them to work, like johnnyzj.
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #24
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Maybe there is something that changed from the years of the jeep D35....not sure....most I've seen looks like the 96-98 D35 seems to bolt right up to the 96-98 explorer 8.8

Thank God I got lucky is all i can say.
imag0290.jpg  
Unread 02-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #25
plntman
1998 ZJ 

if the 8.8 is stronger why do you need that big truss on the axle. I have the 8.8 under mine and the brakes that I just put on my 35 fit on the 8.8.
plntman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #26
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plntman View Post
if the 8.8 is stronger why do you need that big truss on the axle. I have the 8.8 under mine and the brakes that I just put on my 35 fit on the 8.8.
You gotta have brackets on the axle anyways and when I researched it, it was worth the little bit extra money for the complete truss.

Build thread^^
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:03 AM   #27
MilanJeep

My Dana 35 rotors and calipers were a direct fit

Milan
MilanJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #28
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
You gotta have brackets on the axle anyways and when I researched it, it was worth the little bit extra money for the complete truss.
Exactly what he said...I got one of the first runs of the Artec kit, and it was within $20 of the IRO bracket kit. Had I not received the huge discount, or just gotten lucky to find it, I would have went with a regular bracket kit and welded the tubes and called it good. Now this way, if I decided to get stupid later in life I know there's no way I will worry with that axle. It was just too good of a deal to pass up at the time....but if I had to buy them at this point I wouldn't have gone with the truss just because of money.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.