75kmiles - Mommy's 96CG Limited Needs New Shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 75kmiles - Mommy's 96CG Limited Needs New Shocks

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-21-2003, 11:26 PM   #1
duffin

75kmiles - Mommy's 96CG Limited Needs New Shocks

I'm looking for recommendations to replace the OEM shocks for a smoother drive around town.

Wife uses our 96 Grand Cherokee Limited as a mommy car. We don't need lift or off-road performance.

However, we do drive fast!

I did see the suggestions in this thread, but found nothing else using the search function.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...threadid=41974

Suggestions anyone?

duffin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2003, 01:58 PM   #2
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I would check your local paper for a sears store with the rancho 5000s on sale or check on the Monroe Gas Magnums. I ran the monroes for about three years.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2003, 08:14 PM   #3
Stocker

FWIW, I had Monroe Gas Magnums on my pickup for a few years - they wore out and got floaty (loss of rebound control) way too soon IMO. YMMV

edit: I have heard good things about Ranchos. Just don't let Sears sell you their Roadhandler (I think that's what they're called). Their total lack of control caused me to return them a week after I put them on a van I once owned.

Last edited by Stocker; 06-22-2003 at 08:18 PM..
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2003, 12:58 AM   #4
duffin

I had a local Jeep only mechanic install Chrystler SVT gas shocks which are considered an upgrade to the Limited trim suspention package.

Excellent ride!

There is also a sway bar upgrade available from Mopar.
duffin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2003, 06:45 PM   #5
brad335

Same situation with me. My mom gave my my jeep for my 16th b-day...anyway. I put Monroe Sensitrac shocks on my GC, they seem to be decent for the buck. I think if i had to do it over again, i would have put rancheros on it though.
Unread 06-24-2003, 10:02 PM   #6
miked315

What are the best shocks for the money..just for street driving. Monroe wanted like 250 bucks for all 4..is it really worth spending that much? What's the difference going to be? Better ride, longer life of shocks? Just wondering if anyone else has an opinion, I appreciate the suggestions that have been given already though. I have a 98 ZJ that needs shocks (60k miles). It rides like **** right now.
-Mike
miked315 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2003, 11:53 PM   #7
alaningles

still have that set of monroe sensatracs for the rear with less then 3k on them...came off my 96 limited...will sell cheap as no job yet

alan
alaningles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.