710 cap -rant - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 710 cap -rant

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-12-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
leob1

710 cap -rant

Checked the oil last night, and it was a bit low, so I decided to add some. Grabbed the oils fill cap, and turned to the left. It turned and clicked, and turned and clicked but didn't come off. WTF? Maybe it's like a medicine bottle and you have to push down, push turn click, push turn click, no go. Am I turning it the wrong way? turn the other way, and the same result. WTF? So I decide to use brut force, grap the cap and pull. Half of it come off. It turns out the cap is made in two peices, so you can't overtighten it(HAH!). I was then able to get the channel-locks on the remaining part to get it off to add the oil. What a stupid design.

leob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

The 2 piece caps suck. wait for engine to cool down and replace it w/ a 1 piece cap.
Unread 07-12-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
AAA
1997 ZJ 

Probably the same person who designed the 710 cap also designed the coolant engine plug on the 4.0L. What a stupid design. Who comes up with a plug where you have to use a 5/16" square tool, that doesn't exist. I tried to use some steel key stock, but it started to fail, so I had to give up on it before it broke off and got stuck inside the plug. Idiots.
AAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 12:19 AM   #4
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAA View Post
Probably the same person who designed the 710 cap also designed the coolant engine plug on the 4.0L. What a stupid design. Who comes up with a plug where you have to use a 5/16" square tool, that doesn't exist. I tried to use some steel key stock, but it started to fail, so I had to give up on it before it broke off and got stuck inside the plug. Idiots.
It's actually an 8m/m square drive - which does exist (same plug drive is used on the Peugeot BA-10/5.)

A tool can be readily improvised using an 8m/m or 5/16" hex key and a grinding wheel in a few minutes' time. It's a leftover influence of Renault - but if it takes a standard thread (I'm informed that it's likely 3/8" NPT,) then it can be replaced with a standard plug and ditched.)

The "ratcheting" plugs are asinine - last time I drove through Oregon, I told the pump jockey to "only click the cap once." When I filled up again in NorCal, the damned cap came off in my hand, and I had to grab the bottom part with the edge of a blade to turn it. (I can understand why disabled people would like the "service" being offered - but I want the option to refuse if I prefer to do it myself!)
Unread 07-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
AAA
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
It's actually an 8m/m square drive - which does exist (same plug drive is used on the Peugeot BA-10/5.)

A tool can be readily improvised using an 8m/m or 5/16" hex key and a grinding wheel in a few minutes' time. It's a leftover influence of Renault - but if it takes a standard thread (I'm informed that it's likely 3/8" NPT,) then it can be replaced with a standard plug and ditched.)

The "ratcheting" plugs are asinine - last time I drove through Oregon, I told the pump jockey to "only click the cap once." When I filled up again in NorCal, the damned cap came off in my hand, and I had to grab the bottom part with the edge of a blade to turn it. (I can understand why disabled people would like the "service" being offered - but I want the option to refuse if I prefer to do it myself!)

Yes, if you have a grinder. I don't, so I bought some steel key stock - not strong enough. I wonder if these car designers sit around just thinking up 5 or 6 things on your car that are designed to really screw with the car owner - things that require tools that you can't find or have to make yourself. I stand by my previous thought.......Idiots.
Unread 07-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

they make interesting fastener drive styles simply so that people who shouldn't be taking these things apart, can't. especially not with their basic wal-mart ratchet set.

although torx does make sense from an engineering stand point(more drive engagement from your tools, though most people screw up the insertion of the tooling)

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
phbrown
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
they make interesting fastener drive styles simply so that people who shouldn't be
although torx does make sense from an engineering stand point(more drive engagement from your tools, though most people screw up the insertion of the tooling)
Unread 07-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

Removing torx bolts is what Jeepers do if they go to Hell.
Unread 07-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
AAA
1997 ZJ 

Welcome to Hell (WTH)
Unread 07-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
gothchick
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster51 View Post
The 2 piece caps suck. wait for engine to cool down and replace it w/ a 1 piece cap.
x2 QFT.

Finished 4x2 --> 4x4 conversion.
gothchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
Jerbear0612
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster51 View Post
x3
Jerbear0612 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.