6 Codes... New to codes and Tranny issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 6 Codes... New to codes and Tranny issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 02-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
jakewalczak
1996 ZJ 

6 Codes... New to codes and Tranny issues

I checked for codes and just to throw this out there. I have tried many times to check for these and I don't know if I am an idiot or not, but never got it to work.

What I didn't realize is that you have to quickly switch from on to off, I had always gone slow. I don't know if that is implied; but if any of you have trouble with it... go blitz on it.

alright: I got 12-45-37-45 (again?)- 21-55.

I did it twice and got the same numbers in the same order.

Can I get their meaning please and why there are so many and why I had 45 twice? Please.

I know my coolant sensor is bad and that I have Rear light failure (according to VIC) I also know that my tranny has really been acting up and not wanting to shift into 1st when I have proper levels of fluid (brown I know) and I am sure it is in drive. I also know that I had my computer updated a year ago and that they changed something with the O2 sensor and now it is not "reading the right levels" or something; I didn't pay much attention because stealer ship said it wasn't a big deal and told me they'd charge 200$.

I know jack about codes and about transmissions or 02 sensors... but if I can get good enough direction/instructions I feel I can do quite a bit on my own.

I am also wondering if I should just bite the bullet and take the car in due to tranny troubles (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/96-zj-cant-shift-out-1st-gear-512391/)
I am just worried that I will do further harm and cause more damage by ignoring it.

I don't mean to impose, but I would love some feedback, info, any links to other posts (i suck at using the search feature), or even just the advice to take it in somewhere.

I have a FSM on my computer so I can always check that, just don't know where to begin or really what to do.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread 02-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
KingPrat
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakewalczak View Post
alright: I got 12-45-37-45 (again?)- 21-55.
Alright, 12 and 55 are basically always there. 12 says that the battery has been disconnected in the last 50 starts. 55 is end of codes.

37: torque converter solenoid circuit fault
45: Overdrive solenoid. Problem detected in the overdrive solenoid circuit

Is your transmission in limp mode? (won't shift out of 2nd or so) Nevermind....saw your other thread.

Sounds like you have electrical problems. Could just be the sensors. hopefully someone can chime in a little more.

Nokian Vatiiva tires: 235/65-17

Previous:1997 ZJ TSi 4.0. Some stuff added

Western New England College '08
Golden Bear Lacrosse #13
Week 11 USILA Rank: #15
2008: 16-5
NCAA Elite 8
TCCC Champions

Please read and share!!
KingPrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
jakewalczak
1996 ZJ 

Thanks for that info... im sure there is a list of those codes; where could I find them?

For code 37 & 45; what should I do with that- replace or something? I honestly don't know where or what they are or do... And why might 45 come up twice?

Thanks
Unread 02-05-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
KingPrat
2001 WJ 

Here's the link. http://hem.passagen.se/suntool/jeep/error_en.html

I know it says 93-95, but they're pretty standard through 98.

And the code popped up twice cuz there were 2 seperate times that the code was thrown.

Nokian Vatiiva tires: 235/65-17

Previous:1997 ZJ TSi 4.0. Some stuff added

Western New England College '08
Golden Bear Lacrosse #13
Week 11 USILA Rank: #15
2008: 16-5
NCAA Elite 8
TCCC Champions

Please read and share!!
KingPrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
jakewalczak
1996 ZJ 

Thanks for that man, appreciated.

Now what do I do to correct these codes? Do I take it in or try to mess around with it on my own?

Does anyone have any assistance for this?

Thanksssssssssssss
Unread 02-06-2008, 04:55 PM   #6
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Remove the positive battery cable for a few minutes. Turn the ignition to Start once with the cable removed. This will clear the codes. Then after a drive or two, pull the codes again and see what returns.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
jakewalczak
1996 ZJ 

alright.

Once the blizzard dies down a bit ill do that and post results probably after the weekend.

Thanks for your direction.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.