5w30 vs 10w30 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 18 Old 09-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Robert_Beers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormer1092 View Post
Allot of cars run 5w30? I don't understand why it would break down quicker. I change my oil every 3000 miles no matter what.
I don't totally understand either but it seems to be the specific additives that they are using. Read up on the reviews of 5w30 weight oils on Bob's site and you'll see what I mean though. I would also recommend that you send your oil to Blackstone to have it anylized. It's cheap and pretty interesting. Obviously the most important part is changing it regularly which probably makes all this talk and analysis useless in the first place

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 Old 09-15-2012, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
stormer1092
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Beers View Post
I don't totally understand either but it seems to be the specific additives that they are using. Read up on the reviews of 5w30 weight oils on Bob's site and you'll see what I mean though. I would also recommend that you send your oil to Blackstone to have it anylized. It's cheap and pretty interesting. Obviously the most important part is changing it regularly which probably makes all this talk and analysis useless in the first place
yea probably. I've been running quaker state defy and so far have been loving it. I've read up on numbers and the iron number was really low. I don't know what they go by. Parts per million or something. That was also in a 5.9L which means it probably going to be less in the 4.0
post #18 of 18 Old 09-15-2012, 09:35 AM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

It's a matter of how much base stock they use vs additives. The more base stock used the better longevity from what I understand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.