5spd grand cherokee shift knob - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5spd grand cherokee shift knob

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 01-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
N30N_Dave
1993 ZJ 

5spd grand cherokee shift knob

very stupid question but how do you get the stock shift knob off a 1993 5spd grand cherokee? i got a b&m t-shifter for it and i wanna change the stock one but i have no idea how to get it off.

N30N_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

It either screws on or, more likely, is a press-on.

Try too unscrew it. You could use a strap wrench.

Or a block of wood under the lip, and a couple gentle yet firm taps from a mallet or something.

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

it's threaded with a lock nut under the cap with the shift pattern on it. you "should" be able to just twist it off with some effort. if not you can lightly heat the shift knob and pry that cap out to loosen up the lock nut.

if you plan on saving that rare piece of history that is. if not just pry out the cap and take the nut off the fastest way you can think of.

oh yeah, the shift boot locks into a groove on the bottom of the knob, so you'll probably have the boot flopping around after you swap the shifters.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
N30N_Dave
1993 ZJ 

no i dont wanna ruin it i wanna save it cuz it is rare to see a factory 5spd grand cherokee im keep all the original parts ill see if it twists off when i get it back from the shop
Unread 01-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Should be the same as a 5-spd XJ. Locking ring that you turn to the right as you're looking at it from above, then the body of the shift knob unscrews lefty-loosey. On my XJ, I seem to remember there being a plaster-like substance inside the rubber "boot" of the knob that effectively disintegrated when I was in Phoenix, AZ many moons ago
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
N30N_Dave
1993 ZJ 

ok ill have to take a look at it as soon as i get it back cant wait to get it back and inspected and get it ready for some trail rides idk i just have a thing for zj's everyone tells me to get a wrangler or cherokee kinda been there done that had a 96 cherokee country and i submerged it lol and i have a 09 jk now and the 6 speed trans is a piece of **** lol
Unread 01-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

You wouldn't ruin it.

Some twist off some push on. That is why I said use a block of wood, don't just wrap on it.

a strap wrench uses a rubber strap to wrap around a part, that wouldn't ruin it either.

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #8
N30N_Dave
1993 ZJ 

ok lol ill take a look when i get it back
Unread 01-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

there is no extra twist to the knob. if you can't get it to turn you'll have to pop the cap off the top and loosen the lock nut.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.