5NINE with bad frame: Dumpster or Donor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5NINE with bad frame: Dumpster or Donor?

New rockridge 4wd sales rep!!!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ BDS 2" suspension lift!! FINALLY a GREAT 2" l

Unread 01-25-2015, 05:52 PM   #1
98zjteen
1998 ZJ 

5NINE with bad frame: Dumpster or Donor?

The UCA mounts on the frame, along with almost all of the rockers, and a good amount of the rear half of the frame are rusted/gone entirely. It is getting close to becoming unsafe to drive on the road, but the drivetrain is solid.
WHAT WOULD YOU DO? Sell it piece by piece, or find a donor ZJ and drop in the 5NINE goodies? (Keep in mind that I am a broke law student who is limited on time, but not tools or capabilities.)

downloadw.jpg   download.jpg   download2.jpg   downloadh.jpg   downloadm.jpg  

98zjteen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Find a donor and swap the goodies
Unread 01-25-2015, 06:52 PM   #3
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Piece by piece its worth more. Than donate the skeleton for a tax break

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2015, 04:51 PM   #4
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Considering as you don't have an excess of time. I'd part it out, I feel like it would be the most beneficial under those circumstances.

Edit: Though of course swapping the goods would be more fun

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2015, 10:33 PM   #5
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
That thing is not becoming unsafe to drive, it is unsafe to drive it with that amount of body/ uniframe rust. That thing would've been banned here from road use probably at least 5 years ago (rust issues).

As far as your options go: I would part it out and by another vehicle. If you had the time and money, swapping the niner parts into another V8 could be an option.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #6
98zjteen
1998 ZJ 

[QUOTE=Timo_90xj;27958257]That thing is not becoming unsafe to drive, it is unsafe to drive it with that amount of body/ uniframe rust. That thing would've been banned here from road use probably at least 5 years ago (rust issues).

Gotta love living in Michigan. If we had inspections, half of the cars would be banned from the roads.
Unread 01-27-2015, 09:42 AM   #7
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98zjteen View Post
Gotta love living in Michigan. If we had inspections, half of the cars would be banned from the roads.
Man that's nasty. One would think that in this modern, high-tech, world, someone would come up with something that hated snow more than it hated steel, and would be cheaper than salt. No go, huh?

"Michigan cars, we build 'em, we killed 'em."
MrRoundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2015, 09:54 AM   #8
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98zjteen View Post
There's plenty of road salt here as well (~4 moths of winter/ road salt in southern Finland), but thankfully nothing as bad as across there with the amount of salt sprayed on the roads.

Rust is an issue, but a lot of people take their new vehicles to a rust-protection treatment the day they drive it out of the dealership parking lot. Having roughly double prices on vehicles compared to the USA, it's worth the extra cost.. We have plenty of 10+ year old vehicles with no serious rust issues

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #9
98zjteen
1998 ZJ 

I am looking for a rust-free ZJ, but that is a battle on its own. I hope to have a house and garage in about a year, but I am not thinking that the ZJ will hold out that long, and I am betting my parents don't want a lawn ornament until then. Plus the garage is full with a TJ frame-off build. Talk about bad timing.
Unread 01-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #10
Cbob4
1995 ZJ 

Thank God I live in FL, and my ZJ has lived here all it's live. Mainly in the Lakeland area, which is a healthy distance away from either coast...
Cbob4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2015, 10:53 AM   #11
98zjteen
1998 ZJ 

If anyone knows of a donor ZJ, let me know. Also, if you want to call dibs on any of my parts in case I decide to part it out, PM me and I will make a note of it. I still don't know what I will be doing with it, but I may as well see what people want (and how much I can get for it, of course).
Unread 01-27-2015, 02:30 PM   #12
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, I really feel for you rust belt guys. Here in the High Desert, nothing rusts. I drive a 15-year old WJ with not a speck of rust anywhere. Of course, we rarely get snow. Salt? Never heard of it. Of course, when so much as 3 snowflakes hit the ground on the mountain passes, the Highway Patrol immediately shuts down the freeway.
Unread 01-27-2015, 07:16 PM   #13
heapster
1983 CJ7 

Dumpster diving

Oh man your question hurts my brain. I would tell you to use it as a donor for a nicer zj but I need parts, If you take your time deciding let me know. If I am back to work by the time you decide to off some parts I would be interested.

Doug I
83 CJ Long term project
heapster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #14
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Donate the parts to me. That way you can part it out and use it as a donor vehicle

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #15
98zjteen
1998 ZJ 

Looks like the Niner has to go. I can't find a donor ZJ anywhere in Michigan that has a "rust-free" frame

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.