545RFE-Is it any good? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 545RFE-Is it any good?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 10-25-2005, 03:50 PM   #1
Dieseljoe
2006 WK 

545RFE-Is it any good?

I'll be buying a 06 Grand Cherekee Overland in May and I'm trying to get as much info on Jeeps.This will be my first one.I've lost faith in Ford so I'll jump ship(I hope it's worth it)and buy a Jeep.My question is about the 5 speed auto transmission 545RFE.Is it any good?I've heard there might be some problems with this tranny.Any info would be great.Joe

Dieseljoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2005, 03:55 PM   #2
HemiWay

That tranny is fine but the different one that is mated with the V6 had problems in 05. That transmission with my Hemi has performed flawlessly.
HemiWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2005, 04:15 PM   #3
brandoncrone
1996 ZJ 

Its an awesome tranny, Ive been rebuilding transmissions for years and the 7 years that it has been around, Ive never had to rebuild one.
brandoncrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2005, 04:59 PM   #4
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

I agree with what's been posted. I've got the 545RFE in my 05 WK hemi, and the 45RFE (the early version of the 545RFE with one less gear) in my 00 Dakota. Both are smooth and responsive and I haven't had a single problem with either one. They do have a tendency to get into the highest gear possible as soon as possible in normal driving...they'll jump out of 5th or 4th pretty easily with a reasonable prod of the gas pedal, but it really doesn't like to move from 3rd to 2nd unless you're really into the gas pedal. They don't hunt for gears much either...generally the programming for gear changes is good. I could go on and on about how it goes about its business, but the bottom line is that it's a good transmission from both a reliability and drivability perspective.

Hemiway is right...there have been some issues with the W5A580 transmission mated to the V6...that's the re-worked benz transmission that is also used in the 300C/Magnum/Charger when equipped with the hemi engine. The problems with that have centered around water in the fluid causing shuddering, and fluid leaking out if it gets too hot causing a fire risk. Those issues don't seem to be present in the 300C/Magnum/Charger that I'm aware of, so it's just something with the installation of it in the WK.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2005, 07:30 PM   #5
brandoncrone
1996 ZJ 

Also wanted to mention that the 45RFE is the exact same transmission. Soldierguy, you could have the 545 in your Dakota simply by getting a trans controller from a truck with the 545 in it. Ive been told that you can reprogram the existing controller to give the vehicle the 5th gear. Also the 545 will soon have a flash to make it a 645. The trans is basically able to produce 6 forward and two reverse gears (different models will utilize one of the two reverse gear ratios).

Also I wanted to mention that the Hemi in the LX cars (300C, Magnum and Charger) use the 545RFE trans. The 3.5L uses the NAG (MB trans). This trans does not have the torque capacity to handle the Hemi....looks like we have one step up on the Germans!
brandoncrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2005, 07:38 PM   #6
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

I'll chime in too... good tranny... way better than the tranny's they have put in any 6 cyl grands...
Unread 10-25-2005, 07:40 PM   #7
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncrone
Also wanted to mention that the 45RFE is the exact same transmission. Soldierguy, you could have the 545 in your Dakota simply by getting a trans controller from a truck with the 545 in it. Ive been told that you can reprogram the existing controller to give the vehicle the 5th gear. Also the 545 will soon have a flash to make it a 645. The trans is basically able to produce 6 forward and two reverse gears (different models will utilize one of the two reverse gear ratios).

:

On the WJ you can go to the dealer and make the 99-00's a 5 speed like the 01-04's but either the dealers don't know what you are talking about or want to much money... I wonder if it would help with highway gas miliage...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.