$500 Used 44re...? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > $500 Used 44re...?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineCHASSIS SAVERô Labor Day 2 for 1 Sale!!!JKS Flex Connect in Actions!

Unread 07-03-2015, 05:20 PM   #1
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

$500 Used 44re...?

So im FINALLY going to get the ball rolling with the ZJ. After a couple months of it sitting, and coming to the conclusion that obtaining $2,200 for a rebuild, is simply a unrealistic option...im opting to get a used one off a mutual friend.

I got a quote of $500 with a 30 day warranty on a used 44re. At this point mileage is unknown, hoping to atleast get a ballpark range in the near future. I will be having my mechanic removing my current tranny and installing the new-used one. I plan on buying my B&M Supercooler transmission cooler along with a new rear mail seal and oil pan gasket. Seeing as how he will have full access to both those parts when the tranny is pulled. I may as well kill 3 birds with 1 stone.

As for when the time comes to look at the used tranny, is there anything I should look for, play with, move around or simply keep an eye out for when picking it up? This guy is a trusted acquintance, however people do miss stuff, we are only human.
Besides leaky seals and broken visual exterior components, what else do I need to keep and eye out for?

Thanks in advance...

-Evan

Unread 07-03-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
AdidasCJ
1996 ZJ 

Most of the time you can find one at the junkyard for MUCH cheaper. (50% off happening this weekend at Pick a part).

Is it a crap shoot... sure. Miles... Unknown... But you could always get it cheap and have it serviced then installed.

I pulled the tranny out of an XJ today to get to the xfer case. Tranny looks in good shape on the outside, hell even the fluid that was coming out looked decent.

Just a thought
AdidasCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2015, 05:39 PM   #3
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdidasCJ View Post
Most of the time you can find one at the junkyard for MUCH cheaper. (50% off happening this weekend at Pick a part).

Is it a crap shoot... sure. Miles... Unknown... But you could always get it cheap and have it serviced then installed.

I pulled the tranny out of an XJ today to get to the xfer case. Tranny looks in good shape on the outside, hell even the fluid that was coming out looked decent.

Just a thought
Id love to save the money, but for me $500 is a break on the old wallet after trying to save up for a rebuild on my current one.
Upon installation my mechanic will be throwing in fresh ATF4 and checking the torque specs on the bands, and adjusting if need be.
Buying any used tranny is a crap shoot, which is why i was so hesitant on doing so and initially aiming for a rebuild. But that option is just not in the cards.

Plus, theres no way in hell im laying under a car at our local pick n pull during the middle of summer. Its 106* as it is down in Chico, CA most days, and once you step into a Pick N Pull, the temperature shoots up with all thay glass and metal absorbing and reflecting the sunlight.
Unread 07-03-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
AdidasCJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1395 View Post

Plus, theres no way in hell im laying under a car at our local pick n pull during the middle of summer. Its 106* as it is down in Chico, CA most days, and once you step into a Pick N Pull, the temperature shoots up with all thay glass and metal absorbing and reflecting the sunlight.
Should see how sunburned I am from pulling the Xfer case today at the Hesperia P&P.. LOL

AdidasCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #5
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdidasCJ View Post

Should see how sunburned I am from pulling the Xfer case today at the Hesperia P&P.. LOL
Haha. Yeah and I have a 2 year old daughter who isnt allowed to go into a Pick n Pull lol.
I feel your pain man, i went down to Chico in the middle of last summer and seperated a 231 from behind a AW4. Both were already pulled from under the XJ, but still. I cant handle the heat from even inside my house, let alone out in the sun wrenching.
Unread 07-05-2015, 12:29 PM   #6
t600
1998 ZJ 

I wish you the best of luck on the used transmission, but I would still be trying to save up for the rebuild on your original one.
t600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2015, 01:05 PM   #7
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t600 View Post
I wish you the best of luck on the used transmission, but I would still be trying to save up for the rebuild on your original one.
Wish I could man. But with rent, bills, a 2 year old and cost of living...im lucky enough to get this $500 saved up for a used transmission :/
Unread 07-05-2015, 04:38 PM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1395 View Post

Wish I could man. But with rent, bills, a 2 year old and cost of living...im lucky enough to get this $500 saved up for a used transmission :/
Yeah kids are extremely expensive.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2015, 05:02 AM   #9
t600
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1395
I hear you loud and clear about the kids. I'm just saying it's hard to know how long the used transmission will hold up. Just something to think about down the road. I'm sure I would try the used transmission option first too. I would keep the old one and put it in the "some day" pile.
t600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #10
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t600 View Post

I hear you loud and clear about the kids. I'm just saying it's hard to know how long the used transmission will hold up. Just something to think about down the road. I'm sure I would try the used transmission option first too. I would keep the old one and put it in the "some day" pile.
Its been 2 months since my incident with the 44re took place. In these past 60+ days, I have been saving up, looking around for cheapest rebuilds while sticking with a reputable shop. I have been inquiring about personal loans through my bank and the local credit unions, I have been asking close friends and family members to even co-sign for me on a personal loan. Nothing is looking up for me.
I was soooo against the idea of buying a used transmission from the get go. Everybody and their brother was telling me to just go pull a junkyard tranny, and why would I bother spending $2,000+ on a rebuild when i only spent $2,000 on the Jeep. Well, because I would LOVE that peace of mind knowing my transmission is like new with a rebuild along with the 100,000 mile warranty this shop offers with their rebuilds.
I hate the idea of getting a used transmission, even though it IS tested and approved by somebody. You just dont know how it was treated, serviced and maintained during its lifespan. But at this point in time, purchasing a used tranny, is the most realistic option I have on my plate. The girlfriends car is having twice the miles put on it, and now IT is having problems that I have been addressing. But a child that goes to daycare, and both of us working full time, its about time I get this Jeep going.

...plus I hate being a 24 year old, beard wearing man, driving around a Nissan Sentra that has a Little Mermaid license plate frame.
LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.