Is 500 rpm too low for idle? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Is 500 rpm too low for idle?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-27-2013, 05:30 AM   #31
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9mfd View Post
...after cleaning the IAC, the idle does not change when put under load (like the A/C pump or putting it in drive)...
Normal, that's the purpose of the IAC.

KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #32
95zjdriver

mine does the same thing but it came out of no where and now when i put it in reverse the whole thing locks up tranny and motor any idea what it could be ?
95zjdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 06:35 AM   #33
lildoggy
1995 ZJ 

whole jeep vibrates when under load

I just got a 4.0 95 ZJ, it starts great but when shifting out of park or neutral the jeep would vibrate like crazy. It would run and settle down just fine until I'd come to a stop sign or light then, while braking, the vibration would begin again and sometimes cut out or stall.
Checked drivetrain, exhaust, mounts and the codes. No check engine light. Watched a youtube that sort of described my problem and the fix was to replace the throttle position sensor (TPS) while being careful not to mess with the throttle body by cleaning it or moving the throttle. (sometimes that causes the PCM to mess up the learned idle apparently resulting in an abnormally high idle situation.
I did as the video instructed and picked up a new TPS at Advanced Auto for around $40. Put it on (simple 2 torx bolts) and the jeep ran just fine. No more vibration or stall. Happy as a clam here although at some time in the future I plan to clean the throttle body, etc. Hope this might help someone since I had a hard time figuring this out and I have the service manual which wasn't much help in that regard.
lildoggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 06:38 AM   #34
lildoggy
1995 ZJ 

low idle lead to my fix

I forgot to add that I noticed a very low idle of 300-400 rpms when I was having my vibration and stall which led me to my fix. It now idles at 600 rpms which seems to be working out for me for now.
lildoggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #35
Alexandru999
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
700-800 is normal. Possible bad IAC sensor.
mmm, get 550-ALMOST 600 solid, all the time and i cleaned my IAC last summer it was still good ! .. for 4.0's its normal like that i think

if its colder outside it will stay a bit up and slowly drop to 500-550
Alexandru999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
engine , idle speed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.