500 bucks this week, what to get? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 500 bucks this week, what to get?

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 10-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #31
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

dont worry about the 249 ive seen them run 35s. You have a dana 35 not 44a if its stock. The d35 will be ok with 33s. but i wouldnt go any bigger. keep an eye out for a used 8.8. I have both. two jeeps. so see i weeknesses in both. the d35 being the weaker. but im trying to get a 8.8 now. after the lift and tires youll want to regear and get a better rear. now most of my jeeps have died in water. know where your intake is and dont push it. until you get that snorkel. or youll end up with a hole in the block or rods through the pan or the dreaded hydrolock. good luck on the build.

Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #32
pageman
1995 ZJ 

now what does the 8.8 come out of? my modding is limited to land cruisers and rovers so jeep is new territory for me and im reading all i can. i really want a 242 just cause i cant stand the 249 desighn and lack of much thought put in. whith my land cruiser i never had any issues whith snaging it on hills and the cruiser is heavier. luckily there is a big local junk yard and i know the owner. also if i get the 4.5 lift from kolac will the axle swap bolt on the lift?

also i rally never flood the jeep but when you wheel in latin america where you cross rivers a lot you learn how to go through and not flood, but there is also no better peace of mind than a snorkel
pageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #33
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

People with tons of experience have hydrolocked motors before, experience crossing a river isn't a guarantee it might happen the next time.

8.8 swap will run you about $1000 since you'll have to buy the axle (out of a Ford Explorer), get either the IRO bracket kit or the Artec truss for it and have them welded on. If you find one with 3.73 gears you can save a bit of money there but you might as well lock it before it goes in.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #34
pageman
1995 ZJ 

yah that swap is a bit expensive lol especialy if the factory can handle 33's which is my max any way.

i will agree there is no replacment for a snorkel but whith a little common sence i can keep hydrolock in others rig.
Unread 10-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #35
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Ive seen 8.8s off other jeeps on cl for 350$ unfortunetly its always when im broke. d35s are iffy I would take her apart and take a look at the bearings shafts and gears and throw in some fresh fluid. there known for to eat shafts. wheel bearings cut into them. craigslist and ebay are good places to look for used mods. as for the tcase there all pretty much the same. the lift should cure that.
Unread 10-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #36
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Iforgot to ask do you has the tank armor? if not look for one on a 98. the unprotected plastic tank is a design flaw and a half.
Unread 10-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #37
pageman
1995 ZJ 

kevin i have noticed that! its always on my mind crawling down rocky obstacles.i have seen on the 2000 gc has a ghetto but effective plating. is the shield a easy swap in. i should be able to find one easily at the junk yard

keep any suggestions like this coming!
Unread 10-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #38
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

yes it is however the bolts may be a pita so bring your bfh and some acetone atf mix. Its actually refered to as a skid plate but I think it looks like a midevil shield. the 98 5.9 has three skid plates one for the radiator and fan one for the t case and the gas tank. although i have heard alot of 97 and 98s had them aswell. not just the 5.9 limited. Its just the only ones ive seen them in personally. the hooks on the front are good to have aswell. anything from 93-98 is mostly a fit to a 95. makes shopping at the jy easy.
Unread 10-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #39
pageman
1995 ZJ 

t case im not to worried cause every time its the t case cross member that gets hit not the case and there are like 7 other braces waiting to be swapped at the junk yard. and ill definatly look for shielding ESSPECIALY if its cheap and at my local junk yard
Unread 10-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #40
chetzar
1994 ZJ 

Everyone has an opinion, and everyone's is different. If it were me, I would first make sure everything is mechanically sound, fix anything that needs to be, but hasn't. Then, depending on the miles, I would get rid of the 249 Transfer Case. I left my 249 way longer than I should have and it cost me more money in the long run, it ate CV Half Shafts, u-joints, ruined bushings, etc on my front end. I picked up a 242 from George over at Transfer Case Unlimited (recommended by Kolak). If you are wanting to keep a 249 style case, he builds a 249/247 hybrid, using the parts from a 249 with the progressive coupler from the 247.
chetzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #41
pageman
1995 ZJ 

the jeep is sound it was very well taken care of. and yah i dont like the 249 case some swear by it others swear at it( a quote i picked up from some one here and i now know why) and i swear at it more than a sailor i hate the thing

i like the choice of 2 hi for economy and tire wear and use 4 when i need it. so my next step is going to the faq and reading what 242 will direct swap into my 95 especially since there are a few in the junk yard
Unread 10-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #42
Spike300
1993 ZJ 

Lunch box the rear
a cowl snorkel (did mine for~$70 kn cone filter some 3 inch flextubing from oreilly, 5.2 dakota airhat, and a piece of 3 inch exhaust tubing)
ford contour fan and flexalite controller, ( stuck my controller in a plastic pencil case to protect from splashes) mine about $200 for conroller and fan and adapter for thread in sensor in upper rad hose

5.2-242 tcase-44a-30x9.50x15 MT/R-American Racing Burst Rims -[COLOR="Red"]Optima[/COLOR] -E3 plugs-[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Cu[/COLOR]st[COLOR="DarkGreen"]om[/COLOR] Pa[COLOR="DarkGreen"]in[/COLOR]t-Amsoil-Addco Front and Rear-polyurethane bushings

[B]To be installed[/B]: RE gen2 discos, military battery terminals
[B]To be rebuilt:[/B] HP30
[B]To be received:[/B]
[B]To be paid for:[/B]

[B]Next on the list:[/B] complete redo of brakes and
lines
[B]Needed:[/B] fittings, coil of brake tubing, Russel speed bleeders

Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #75
Spike300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #43
pageman
1995 ZJ 

definatly a locker in the rear. and I have already done the Durango air hat conversion. an exshaust system is next because I have a welder and can be done super cheap(im thinking 2 3/4 all the way since that's the size of the high flow cat I got and the rest is smaller diameter from factory I belive). I definatly need a lift I just get snagged on the t case over and over again
Unread 10-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #44
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The economy part of putting it in 2wd is a complete myth with the ZJ. You are still turning the whole front end, gears, axle shafts, ect. To get better economy with 4wd you need locking hubs. Which the ZJ does not have. The 249/247 hybrid is probably the best option for a DD sometimes wheeler besides jut replacing the VC. Since you have an early 249 I would just get rid of it but they are better in the snow and rain than the later ones. They are just more sensitive to wear since they are split 50/50 and don't have lo lock. I wouldn't put a 242 in any ZJ. They are just as big as the 249 but have a thinner chain and more moving parts to break. I think George makes one that uses the later 242 HD with the wider chain that fits ZJ's. I'd call and ask.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #45
pageman
1995 ZJ 

that makes sence polka. yah this is a 60% trail and 40% road so im not concerned about econ but its always welcome

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.