500 bucks this week, what to get? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 500 bucks this week, what to get?

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 09-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
Lol where did you hear that tire size matters with a 249?
Cmon polka,everybody knows size matters

dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #17
Kolak
Vendor

If you've got stock diameter tires, maybe just do a 2" lift - be it a budget boost or some new springs. Finish it off with some nice shocks such as the Bilstein 5100 series. That will keep you within budget.

PM me if you'd like to chat - I have Bilsteins on special right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pageman View Post
so far i went factory size just to keep things simple.the trans is all sealed as well as t case. i have a massive trans cooler from a way bigger diesel truck so temps are always cool. i also just finished the durango air hat mod
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #18
pageman
1995 ZJ 

thanks for the advice guys but today i when and did some SERIOUS wheeling. i mean crazy obstacles,hills, axle flex ruts with the gulf coast jeepers and i have found massive weaknesses

so far water not much of an issue so snorkel can wait. my buddy whit a 2 inch bb got stuck in things that i made it in factory so i am out performing what the jeep can do. what i noticed on uphill climb is that i would very often frame out on the t case bracket and that on extreme flex and hill climbs the lack of lockers showed(once both axels flexed one wheel hit there air and i was going no where). my main issue is the constant frame out so i think a lift will give me the flex and body clearence i need but i just bought tires so how usefull will a lift be whith factory size but super tires be. with lockers i believe i can circumnavigate the clearance whith some good spotting as long as i keep the truck moving if i can keep the t case higher im set because i hit rocks and obstacles with tires and they clear just fine its on brims of hills i have issues and once im lifting a wheel or 2 it goes no where whith factory diffs

Quote:
f you've got stock diameter tires, maybe just do a 2" lift - be it a budget boost or some new springs. Finish it off with some nice shocks such as the Bilstein 5100 series
mr.kolak i belive you will be a huge help here( 99% of people here recomend you lol) i dont think a 2inch bb will suffice for what i am doing, i was use to a built land cruiser and have the skills for that but im just expecting to much of my rig right now. i need the rig to catch up to me. and if i have to save a few more weeks im ok whith that cause i want a rig built right that can meet my realistic expectations

whats your thoughts
pageman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 12:59 AM   #19
Kolak
Vendor

The next lift height increment is 3.5". At that height, you need more than just springs and shocks. You'll need longer links for the swaybars, an adjustable front trackbar, etc. That's going to put you over your $500.00 budget, so I'd suggest saving some more money and doing it properly the first time.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 01:42 AM   #20
97ZJ_FOORx4
1997 ZJ 

What Kolak said,save for a good lift and do it right the first time if that's what you want is a lift.
97ZJ_FOORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #21
pageman
1995 ZJ 

Im whith you on that. Has to be built right the first time.how much would i look at in parts alone since i can do all the work my self.

Also you think maby a spartan or assey locker should be befor the lift or wise versa? I would think a lower rig thats locked will make it farther than a lifted rig running open it just takes a very good spoter
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #22
97ZJ_FOORx4
1997 ZJ 

A BB would Prolly run under $200, maybe a bit more.
As for a locker why not weld the rear end?
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #23
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

2" BB 31s rear locker.
if you have a 95 ZJ your 249 transfer case is also useless and is likely why you got hung up. it does not lock up 50/50 (stays kind of open) and can make it feel weird. if you really want to use that thing swap out the AWD for a 242 or 231.

i'd like to see how you vented your transmission too. the vent hole is in the tranny casing directly behind the torque converter. you cannot access it without pulling the motor/and/or tranny out of the jeep.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #24
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
You can get to the vent by just pulling the crossmember and lowering the transmission.

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #25
pageman
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
As for a locker why not weld the rear end
why would i ever do that? this is a 60% trail 40% road jeep so i do need it to actualy have some road manners lol.it stays parked most of the week unless i get tired of riding the cbr1000 or its starts raining cats and dogs.my mud tires will wear fast enough i dont want it worse

i just ran the vents up high when i replaced the vc since my t case was out and tranny right there.since i just did the vc im not doing a t case swap for a while. my budget has now increased to about a grand. iv been doing some reading and shopping and i concluded 4.5 is the highest i can go whith still keeping things simple, and whith 4.5 i can run 33's which is the biggest i would go since this is a expedition rig i cant have crazy high becuase it wont be nimble and way to top heavy during steep grades and climbs.from what i shopped a iro kit is about 700$ and i figure whith 1000 i can get the best adjustable components and bilstine shocks.i want this lift to never give any problems cause i skimped out on 100 dollars and to be direct bolt on no cutting and welding if possible. and after the lift i figure a aussy rear lunch box and this will be perfect untill years down the road i can buy the land cruiser i always wanted.

my.kolac i will send you a pm to see if you can tell me what im looking price wise to get things together
Unread 09-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #26
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

If you're not "skimping out", that 4.5" lift is going to run over $1000 fast.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #27
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
You can get to the vent by just pulling the crossmember and lowering the transmission.
don't make me go home and post a pic of the vent hole on the spare tranny i have sitting on the ground.
on the 46rh trust me, theres no breather. theres a hole into the bellhousing and thats it.

the 'breather' is behind the torque converter.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #28
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
I Plugged in a vent tube on top of the transmission. It had a nipple for the, what I thought was the breather tube. I dont know what else it would be? We just had the trans lowered a bit and got to it fine. I dunno mang

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #29
pageman
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
If you're not "skimping out", that 4.5" lift is going to run over $1000 fast.
yah i talked to kolac and he advised me this and i am willing to spend the cash when the next pay check comes in. i want this done right!
Unread 10-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #30
97ZJ_FOORx4
1997 ZJ 

I just ordered the 4.5 in premium lift with fully adjustable CA'S and bilsteins from him today. Kolak seems pretty cool. He also saved me a decent chunk of change going through him. But yeah I'd plan on around 1500 for the lift + other things if you want it done right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.