5.9L Tranny prob, Need advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.9L Tranny prob, Need advice

Clayton Off Road WJ Skid Plate TestingIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!

Unread 11-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
Jeep_zj93
1994 ZJ 

5.9L Tranny prob, Need advice

So my 5.9L ran great today and ran great to work at 3pm, parked it at 3:30 and didn't touch it till 10pm.

Started it up and the Check Engine light came on, backed up fine, shifted into drive and it clunked hard and was slipping. Check trans fluid and is fine.

So when I take off from a stop in Drive it wants to slip and take of in 4th, if I shift it to 1st it kicks to 1st and does fine, I shift to 2nd and doesn't go and then I kick it to Drive and it kicks to 2nd and then drive. Doing 60mph I can hammer the gas and it kicks down just fine and doesn't slip.

I will be checking the "CEL" in the morning but wanted some input.

Jeep_zj93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

my moneys on governor pressure sensor and solenoid drop pan replace 2 sensors bout 100$ each
squazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
Jeep_zj93
1994 ZJ 

Its was the governor pressure sensor, Odd tho I drove it to work to use the scaner and it drove 100% fine. Shut the CEL off and havnt had a prob since.

Code was P1762
Jeep_zj93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

They dont always fail permanently they can be intermittant. Most of the failures are due to debris clogging the governor solenoid screen and its possible that its venting enough pressure at times and sometimes its not.

On the gears you had, do you think its possible that you had 3rd in drive and had 2nd gear when manually shifted. Only reason I ask is 3rd gear is the default gear position for max governor pressure and 2nd can be achieved by manually shifting. Also 2nd gear will be there at heavy throttle because of high T/V pressure. If it was taking off in 4th you probably will have other problems.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.