5.9L stroked or no? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.9L stroked or no?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-14-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
Travis873o
1996 ZJ 

5.9L stroked or no?

so i'm doing a 5.9 swap. and was wanting some opinions on if i should stroke it or not.

i was already plannin on a whole new valvetrain, intake, exhaust, etc.

what are some positives and negative of strokin it.

any thoughts?

Travis873o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If the cylinder heads are machined correctly you can run it on regular 87. If not then it is premium which can get expensive. I have mostly seen stroked 4.0's but if you can afford it I say go for it.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Travis873o
1996 ZJ 

well i dont have a problem runnin premium, in fact that's what i've always ran in the jeep.
and i was going w/ mopar performance aluminum heads, but if i get it stroked what should i go w/?
Unread 09-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Premium gas, 10 mpg (maybe?), all kinds of supporting mods (built 46RE~ $3-4k), and you're 18?

A regular 5.9 is fast enough without another $5k+ in what it would cost to do a custom shortblock. What's wrong with the 5.2 that's in it? Might be easier to sell what you've got and just find a factory 5.9, unless you've got the mechanical ability and time to burn.
Unread 09-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Squahsman - If he's 18, he's probably a student. And everyone knows we'd all rather be swapping an engine than doing homework.

Plus, it would be awesome to see what he could do with a stroked 5.9 if he has the time and money to invest .
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
Travis873o
1996 ZJ 

squashman: ha yes 18 here, and i knew i'd need a built 46re reguardless if i got a stroked/built 5.9 as opposed to just a built 5.9. and the 5.2 is good, however i've added so many things to slow it down and plan to do more (front, rear steal bumpers, bigger tires, etc) and i want something not only to compensate for the small loss, but to make it quick as well. and although i've never done a motor swap, i'm very good with mechanical stuff.

comptiger: yes, i would much rather be swapping a motor than doing homework. lol
Unread 09-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis873o View Post
squashman: ha yes 18 here, and i knew i'd need a built 46re reguardless if i got a stroked/built 5.9 as opposed to just a built 5.9. and the 5.2 is good, however i've added so many things to slow it down and plan to do more (front, rear steal bumpers, bigger tires, etc) and i want something not only to compensate for the small loss, but to make it quick as well. and although i've never done a motor swap, i'm very good with mechanical stuff.

comptiger: yes, i would much rather be swapping a motor than doing homework. lol
I hope you've got a good part time job then. I'd say realistically you're looking at $3-4k plus if you got parts cheap for the short block and another $3-4k for a built 46RE. If you're in college, save your money for booze instead. If you're not in college, save your money for booze once you get there. No sense taking on that kind of headache/cost . . . it'll get frustrating when you can't do exactly what you want with it or it takes you forever to get the setup that you wanted because of limited work hours.

I went to school and bought my first ZJ senior year, and still had to work basically to support the Jeep, which didn't leave me much cash for other stuff. Even with the job I have now, it's just as much of a problem . . . the mods and problems just get bigger.

/Snowleopard post.
Unread 09-14-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Stroke it and you will find every weak point of your drivetrain.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #9
WyoZJ
1994 ZJ 

what he said ^

Front and rear Trailready bumpers, roof rack, IRO Rear long arms, and HD adjustable track bar for sale
WyoZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #10
Travis873o
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
I hope you've got a good part time job then. I'd say realistically you're looking at $3-4k plus if you got parts cheap for the short block and another $3-4k for a built 46RE. If you're in college, save your money for booze instead. If you're not in college, save your money for booze once you get there. No sense taking on that kind of headache/cost . . . it'll get frustrating when you can't do exactly what you want with it or it takes you forever to get the setup that you wanted because of limited work hours.

I went to school and bought my first ZJ senior year, and still had to work basically to support the Jeep, which didn't leave me much cash for other stuff. Even with the job I have now, it's just as much of a problem . . . the mods and problems just get bigger.

/Snowleopard post.
well i am taking 12 hours of school and waiting tables full time in the evening, yet somehow manage to find time on the weekends to not remember what exactly happend on my two days off lol

but i do realize this is not at all going to be cheap. ...trust me. lol

and if I do go for a 5.9 swap i WILL be swapping a built 46re for the 44re, i realize they arent the best of transmissions.
Unread 09-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #11
Travis873o
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
Stroke it and you will find every weak point of your drivetrain.

Hunter
besides the transmission not being able to hold up to the power, what else would be weak? say i plan on going from cv to ujoint axles, and from cv to ujoint front drive shaft, and hpd30 instead of the lpd30. would these modifications hold up to the power of a built 5.9?
Unread 09-14-2009, 04:40 PM   #12
Travis873o
1996 ZJ 

also, how bad would it impair the life of the engine?
Unread 09-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #13
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I just know that after 15 years of a 220 HP 318, my new 5.9 is causing all the drivetrain components to give me grief.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #14
Joshhamburger
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis873o View Post
squashman: the 5.2 is good, however i've added so many things to slow it down and plan to do more (front, rear steal bumpers, bigger tires, etc)
What exactly have you done to slow your jeep down? Your looking at 6-8 grand at least to make this swap work, plus a lift and tires. If you want something to go fast in, I'd suggest using that 8 grand on a wrx or some other rice rocket.
Joshhamburger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #15
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

here's my list so far.
complete junkyard 5.9, rusty but decent internally 500$
bore and hone, media blast, hot tank, new cam bearings, new freeze plugs, new tower bushing. 650$
esp 4" crank(cast), forged rods, custom 10.5:1 srp pistons. 1200$
assembly, file fit rings, two sets of main bearings since the crank journals were between sizes. 740

up on deck, hughes cam and valve springs 300$
gasket kit and timing set, 200$
heads(already on my other motor) 750$
air gap intake from hughes(on my other motor) 750
sct tuner 550

manual transmission and performance clutch swap, 1350 in total parts
8.8 rear swap, rebuid and brackets(not counting claytons arms and frame side) 900$
front wj akebono and rear cobra brakes 500$

i'm sure there'll be a hp30 or tj d44 in the front end next as well.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.