5.9L Grand Cherokee Fuel Pump Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.9L Grand Cherokee Fuel Pump Issue

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 10-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
bandanaboyz
1998 ZJ 

5.9L Grand Cherokee Fuel Pump Issue

Here is my situation:

I own a 1998 5.9L GC. I have noticed that duirng the past month when I fill up my tank I am short by 6 gallons. Now, my inside guage reads full but my gas tank is not. I have no problem starting the car or driving it. Is this a sending unit issue or is the fuel pump the likely problem? The sending unit part is $55 and an aftermarket fuel pump is about $300.

What should I do? If need be, which fuel pump would you purchase, dealer or aftermarket? Which aftermarket?

TJS

bandanaboyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
Kolak
Vendor

Are you saying that the gas pump shuts off before the tank is full? And that you can't top it off because the nozzle keeps shutting off? If that's the case I would suspect a problem with the tank venting/evap system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandanaboyz View Post
Here is my situation:

I own a 1998 5.9L GC. I have noticed that duirng the past month when I fill up my tank I am short by 6 gallons. Now, my inside guage reads full but my gas tank is not. I have no problem starting the car or driving it. Is this a sending unit issue or is the fuel pump the likely problem? The sending unit part is $55 and an aftermarket fuel pump is about $300.

What should I do? If need be, which fuel pump would you purchase, dealer or aftermarket? Which aftermarket?

TJS
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
bandanaboyz
1998 ZJ 

Kolak, yes that is correct. However, the fuel guage on the instrument cluster reads full. Normally the Jeep takes between 80 & 88 litres of gas. Now it only takes 60 to 65 litres of gas from empty. When I say empty, I mean when the empty light comes on and I am down to my last 20km of travel on my computer.

How do I test the tank venting/evap system?
Unread 10-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #4
CULate
1930 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandanaboyz View Post
Kolak, yes that is correct. However, the fuel guage on the instrument cluster reads full. Normally the Jeep takes between 80 & 88 litres of gas. Now it only takes 60 to 65 litres of gas from empty. When I say empty, I mean when the empty light comes on and I am down to my last 20km of travel on my computer.

How do I test the tank venting/evap system?
My question is how do you know the tank isn't FULL? Because it doesn't take what it use too. The vent should be a closed circuit vent system for smog reasons. I believe there is a small hose that goes up to the filler neck. Getting to anything tank wise is a bear. But you could disconnect it & see. I helped put a fuel pump in a WJ & things are really hard to get to without dropping the tank down. If they have a receiver hitch it is even worse. Good Luck.
CULate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
MiniTubbedNova
1996 ZJ 

the pumps shut off because of the back flow of gas not air... let it fill to stop, wait about 20 seconds and try it agian if it pops immedatily then its full. sometimes with faster puming stations the anti syphon valve causes the pump to stop. or your sender could be bent. how long does it stay on full for.
IRO 4.5" - 33" MT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by -n8man1068
Jeeps don't get stuck. They just take a nap when they're tired of being awesome.
MiniTubbedNova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
bandanaboyz
1998 ZJ 

It does not stay on full very long. I have waited the 20+seconds and the tank only wants to hold about 65L of gas when it normally takes 85L to fill.

How would the sending unit bend?
Unread 10-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
MiniTubbedNova
1996 ZJ 

i dont know how the sending units look in a grand, but older cars have basicly a coat hanger with a float on the end, so in essance you could have more gas than you think. but that would be unlikely.
IRO 4.5" - 33" MT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by -n8man1068
Jeeps don't get stuck. They just take a nap when they're tired of being awesome.
MiniTubbedNova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Kolak
Vendor

Now that I think about it, if the gauge reads "full" when the tank is not, it's probably reading empty when it's not quite empty either. So when you go to fill up, you're not able to add as much fuel as per usual because the tank isn't really empty.

As you mentioned in your earlier post, you can just replace the sending unit. That involves dropping the tank and removing the pump. So given all that, it may be wise just to replace the complete pump module given that you probably have a lot of miles on your Jeep and it's a fairly big job to do.

A complete pump module comes with the pump, filter assembly, and the sending/level assembly, all integrated together.

PM me if you'd like pricing - I sell genuine Mopar replacement parts to JeepForum members at 25% off what you'd pay at the dealership.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.