5.9L Electric Fan MELTDOWN! Replacement options? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.9L Electric Fan MELTDOWN! Replacement options?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

5.9L Electric Fan MELTDOWN! Replacement options?

Out with the family on a Sunday Drive today running errands, started smelling something burning, like melted plastic, and all of a sudden smelly acrid white smoke pouring from under the hood (while my kids are FREAKING OUT).

Immediately pull over, pop the hood, and there is smoke pouring from the back of the electric fan...

I went to remove the connector and the the 3 wires going to the fan came off the fan in a plastic melty gooey mess. Just got home, so will remove once it cools down a little bit. Temps shot up to between 210-250 ish.

What are my replacement options (something preferably with an easy install, since I'm not too handy with the custom modded stuff)?

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Have you looked at the Ford Taurus fan installs? You'd have to bypass your swoopty Niner fan controls, but DC fan controllers sells a pretty sweet setup, that and a JY fan, and you'd be as good as new.

I used the first controller-
http://www.dccontrol.com/fancontrol.htm

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I found the replacement parts #'s I need and already picked up the motor and have the new pigtail on order to be here Tuesday.

Fan Motor Part Number: PM9069
Pigtail Harness: WPT-168

Any help on how I get the fan removed from the motor?

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 05-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
Scottso699
2006 WK 

The fan should just pull off - the only thing that will keep it on there is that little round clip thingy in your picture. Nothing else keeps it attached to the motor. I got a replacement motor from Autozone - same as a motor from a Ford crown victoria.

2006 WK Overland
2014 WK2 Limited
Scottso699 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Never mind, I gave the motor a good whack with a hammer and the Fan popped off... Now just waiting for the new pigtail harness to hook everything up...
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.