5.9 Vibrations... Transmission mount? Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.9 Vibrations... Transmission mount? Help

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 99551 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
5point9Limited
1998 ZJ 

5.9 Vibrations... Transmission mount? Help

Hey guys, My 5.9 is vibrating during acceleration. Starts at 20mph and lessens at 40. Slight vibes at 45-58mph then it gets bad. I had the rear tires balanced to no avail.
When I get underneath, It seems as though when I push on the trans near the transfer case, that it is loose and possibly not doing its job.

Do you think this is a trans mount? If so, what kind should I get?

Thanks!

Goodyear MT/R 245-75-16, Mopar PCM ECU, 52mm APS Throttle Body AND spacer, Flowmaster Exhaust, Homebrew K&N Intake, Summit 3" exhaust cutout, OME steering stabilizer, 2.25" B. Boost, ProComp MX-6 adjustable shocks,
Up-Country springs.
5point9Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

It could be

Trans mount
Motor mounts
Harmonic balancer is bad.

If the trans mount is bad you should replace the motor mounts with it because it's very likely they are bad as well. It could be other things like worn ball joints too. You just have to start ruling them out one by one. Take a short pry bar and try to move the motor up and down on the drivers side motor mount. If you can't move it then they are good. Here is what mine looked like at 127k miles. Totally shot.

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
5point9Limited
1998 ZJ 

Thanks man, I saw your video upon researching my problem. The vibrations are CLEARLY from the middle to rear of the Jeep. I'm doing the Trans mounts tomorrow. I'll report back. Thanks a lot.
Goodyear MT/R 245-75-16, Mopar PCM ECU, 52mm APS Throttle Body AND spacer, Flowmaster Exhaust, Homebrew K&N Intake, Summit 3" exhaust cutout, OME steering stabilizer, 2.25" B. Boost, ProComp MX-6 adjustable shocks,
Up-Country springs.
5point9Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

It's one mount. I strongly suggest doing the motor mounts as well. If they are bad it will wear the new trans mount out a lot faster.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.