5.9 swap Questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.9 swap Questions

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #16
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David97 View Post
If anyone has any tips/tricks they want to share feel free as well.
Basically do things that are easy with the motor out that are relative PITAs when the motor is in.

Replace the front trans seal.
Get both EGR gaskets ahead of time.
Do the plenum gasket fix.
Be careful not to bend the CPS bracket when you mate the motor to the trans.

Depending on how many miles on the new motor:
Replace rear main seal, oil pump and pickup. And oil pan gasket of course.
Replace front engine seal (Viton is best) and use the Mopar performance gasket on the timing cover. You will need to buy that gasket separately. If you have ever had to replace a timing cover gasket, you'll understand why to use the best. Low center of page
http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/ram.html

Check the plugs and do a compression check. If anything is iffy, time to pull the heads. That's easy work with the motor on a stand.

This is the best gasket set I have used
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sl...iew/make/dodge

All I can think of now.

HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #17
David97
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
Basically do things that are easy with the motor out that are relative PITAs when the motor is in.

Replace the front trans seal.
Get both EGR gaskets ahead of time.
Do the plenum gasket fix.
Be careful not to bend the CPS bracket when you mate the motor to the trans.

Depending on how many miles on the new motor:
Replace rear main seal, oil pump and pickup. And oil pan gasket of course.
Replace front engine seal (Viton is best) and use the Mopar performance gasket on the timing cover. You will need to buy that gasket separately. If you have ever had to replace a timing cover gasket, you'll understand why to use the best. Low center of page
http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/ram.html

Check the plugs and do a compression check. If anything is iffy, time to pull the heads. That's easy work with the motor on a stand.

This is the best gasket set I have used
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sl...iew/make/dodge

All I can think of now.
Yeah, I plan on completely rebuilding the 360 before it goes in regardless lol. Gonna tear it down, and send it off to get machined and all that good stuff. Mostly, because I want no more leaks. But I also want my motor to last for a very long time.

Now the wait to get everything, and to get her done. Though I'm not gonna rush this, I think I can get everything needed by the end of the month. Then spend all of September having it sent it for honing, porting and polishing, and whatever other machining it may need. Plus rebuilding it, I should have a pretty damn reliable motor in my 95 by end of September. Still sucks waiting though

Thanks again man.
David97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #18
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

This is the same route I'll eventually take. Mine is my DD and I want 5.9 power without having to give up my '97. My 5.2 isn't dying any time soon so I have time to do it right.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #19
David97
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj97ltd View Post
This is the same route I'll eventually take. Mine is my DD and I want 5.9 power without having to give up my '97. My 5.2 isn't dying any time soon so I have time to do it right.
Mines not dying, shes still strong for the most part, just leaking almost every where. So instead of being without a vehicle to fix it all, it's just easier to swap in my case. I do beat the piss out of my jeep though. I am not easy on her at all... But she stays strong, reliable, and pulls hard. Just almost every seal is leaking lol

I'm thinking about maybe selling the 318, or rebuilding it, then building it up mildly. After the 360 is in of course. However we will get to that part later don't the road.
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #20
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

You could always do a "lo-po" 408. Nothing too destructive with a ton of torque. Run on cheap gas, maybe 9.0:1 compression.
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #21
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Quote:

And I think lastly (at least the only other thing I really need clarification on) is the ECU. Some say I "need" a 98 5.9 ECU. Others say keep the 318's as it'll work without issue. I believe I read on a thread Ratmonkey said you can use the stock 318 ecu, without issues, but recommends getting it tuned. However you really wont see many issues without a tune. SCT Tuners are out of stock as of right now anyways so that'd have to be put off for now. The other option for ECUs I read was a mopar performance ecu, but seeing as how hard those puppies are to find, I'm thinking the 318 ecu is what ill be using.
Well, to run a '98 ECU you'd need to convert your '95 to OBDII - no easy task. I can tell you I've been running a 5.9 using a stock '94 5.2 ECU for years with no problems. I changed to the 703 injectors shortly after install.
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #22
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Then spend all of September having it sent it for honing, porting and polishing, and whatever other machining it may need.
Plan on new heads. Yours may be ok, but at least you won't be surprised if they are cracked.
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #23
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
You could always do a "lo-po" 408. Nothing too destructive with a ton of torque. Run on cheap gas, maybe 9.0:1 compression.
New crank, pistons, rods. Custom block machining.

How about a hi-po 360? Aluminum heads and 10:1 compression.
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #24
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Quote:

New crank, pistons, rods. Custom block machining.

How about a hi-po 360? Aluminum heads and 10:1 compression.
Yeah but then you have no choice but run hi octane.
Unread 08-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #25
David97
1995 ZJ 

Quote:

Yeah but then you have no choice but run hi octane.
I only run premium 91+ anyways lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using JeepForum
Unread 08-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #26
David97
1995 ZJ 

Quote:

Plan on new heads. Yours may be ok, but at least you won't be surprised if they are cracked.
Another reason why I'm gonna completely break it down and rebuild it lol

Unread 08-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #27
David97
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSplat View Post

Well, to run a '98 ECU you'd need to convert your '95 to OBDII - no easy task. I can tell you I've been running a 5.9 using a stock '94 5.2 ECU for years with no problems. I changed to the 703 injectors shortly after install.
Good to know. No issues whatsoever with the stock ecu?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.