5.9 swap Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.9 swap Questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 08-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
David97
1995 ZJ 

5.9 swap Questions

Right, so I have searched, and looked at the FAQs, along with numerous threads and google searches. However I am at times finding conflicting information. So need some clarification.

Background information; 95 Laredo with the 318/5.2. Virtually everything is leaking, so instead of going through the hassle of being without a vehicle to fix such, im opting to just do a 5.9/360 swap. Plus who doesn't want a little more power out of their Jeep?

Anyways, I know I need a z vin 5.9, and Ive found quite a few option at my disposal at good prices. Any z code 360's from what is it 96-01 Dodge ram 1500/2500s and vans should work correct? So long as its a z code motor?

Next is according to the FAQs, for the 93-95 360 swap, "Late '95 ZJs may not need the torque converter because some of them came with '96 flexplate and torque converter." So late model as in how late? Like 6/94+ build date or?

Then to the flexplate. My understanding is Id need a flexplate of a 5.9 ZJ right? Or according to the FAQs I can "oval out" one of the hole and make it work. Not too fond of that idea, so if someone can clarify which flexplates will work without ovaling anything id appreciate it. If there are any other then a 5.9's.

Motor mount, no big deal, be going with Ironman mounts, so just order ones for the 5.9 correct?

And I think lastly (at least the only other thing I really need clarification on) is the ECU. Some say I "need" a 98 5.9 ECU. Others say keep the 318's as it'll work without issue. I believe I read on a thread Ratmonkey said you can use the stock 318 ecu, without issues, but recommends getting it tuned. However you really wont see many issues without a tune. SCT Tuners are out of stock as of right now anyways so that'd have to be put off for now. The other option for ECUs I read was a mopar performance ecu, but seeing as how hard those puppies are to find, I'm thinking the 318 ecu is what ill be using.

As people are helping me with this, ill still be researching and what not other threads and info. Especially ratmonkeys build which I have bookmarked.

Appreciate any and all help, as well as clarifications for the things aforementioned.

David97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

the 318 ecu will run a 360, but it will run it lean because it doesnt know its running a bigger cube motor than what it was programmed for. best options are having your ecu flashed, or looking for a mopar performance one. i was told this by a chrysler tech who wrenched in the heyday of these engines
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
David97
1995 ZJ 

Yeah I don't think I'd be able to find a performance ecu anytime soon. So looks like the 318 ecu will have to suffice until SCT gets the tuners back in stock.

Unless I can find a good priced stock 9er ecu.
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I would trust texas on this one: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/z...ml#post3020645

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
David97
1995 ZJ 

That's where I got all my swap basics from. lol I always have the faqs thread open in another tab.
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Sorry didn't read all the way. The only other well documented 360 swap around was ratmonkey, but he went 5 speed (and 5 speed ecu) before he the 360 in as far as I can tell from skimming.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
David97
1995 ZJ 

All good. Yeah he did a lot of work haha. But since I just replaced my transmission I don't feel like a 5speed swap. Least not yet. haha Still lots of great info on his build, so much to go through though.
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

All I can find says the a 318 ECU will run a 360 but it may suck after the learning period. All the injector swap thread say it learns based on sensors except for at WOT, but an engine is not an injector.

A 9er pcm won't fly in a 95 because it's odb2, you'd end up rewiring most of the jeep I think.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

just keep in mind, a leaner running engine equates to higher engine temps. maybe you could use a 360 ecu from an obd1 dodge truck?
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
David97
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
All I can find says the a 318 ECU will run a 360 but it may suck after the learning period. All the injector swap thread say it learns based on sensors except for at WOT, but an engine is not an injector.

A 9er pcm won't fly in a 95 because it's odb2, you'd end up rewiring most of the jeep I think.
Ah, yeah forgot about the OBD1/2. Hm. SCT needs to get their tuners back in stock lol Definitely don't feel like rewiring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
just keep in mind, a leaner running engine equates to higher engine temps. maybe you could use a 360 ecu from an obd1 dodge truck?
Already looking at what I want/need to upgrade cooling. Should have mentioned that. lol

Wonder if that would work? I need too look into that idea, and see if I can find a answer. If not, ill just play the waiting game.
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Efan either niner or taurus is a good option especially if it sees trail duty (low rpm work). There's info on using a volvo (i think) controller to get things running really clean.

Compared to the 4.slow the v8's run on ice so I wouldn't worry (yet).

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #12
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David97 View Post
Anyways, I know I need a z vin 5.9, and Ive found quite a few option at my disposal at good prices. Any z code 360's from what is it 96-01 Dodge ram 1500/2500s and vans should work correct? So long as its a z code motor?
yes, any magnum 5.9 will work

Quote:
Next is according to the FAQs, for the 93-95 360 swap, "Late '95 ZJs may not need the torque converter because some of them came with '96 flexplate and torque converter." So late model as in how late? Like 6/94+ build date or?
I don't know. I wrote that FAQ. You are going to have to disassemble and see what you got. You may or may not need a torque converter. My 95 had the later correct one, but heck I replaced it anyway.

Quote:
Then to the flexplate. My understanding is Id need a flexplate of a 5.9 ZJ right? Or according to the FAQs I can "oval out" one of the hole and make it work. Not too fond of that idea, so if someone can clarify which flexplates will work without ovaling anything id appreciate it. If there are any other then a 5.9's.
Don't oval out the flexplate. Flexplates are fairly cheap, just get the correct 5.9 one. Hughes has them as do many others.

Quote:
Motor mount, no big deal, be going with Ironman mounts, so just order ones for the 5.9 correct?
yep

Quote:
And I think lastly (at least the only other thing I really need clarification on) is the ECU. Some say I "need" a 98 5.9 ECU. Others say keep the 318's as it'll work without issue. I believe I read on a thread Ratmonkey said you can use the stock 318 ecu, without issues, but recommends getting it tuned. However you really wont see many issues without a tune. SCT Tuners are out of stock as of right now anyways so that'd have to be put off for now. The other option for ECUs I read was a mopar performance ecu, but seeing as how hard those puppies are to find, I'm thinking the 318 ecu is what ill be using.
The stock ECU will work fine. My 5.9 motor is from a 98 ZJ. She pulls very hard with a 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust and not much else. Well there is ignition stuff and an efan, but that's all bolt on. I often wonder if she has a few more ponies than a stock niner. 95 V8s had the best fuel delivery of all ZJs IMO. You will be fine.

Oh yea, she pinged on hot days pulling grades with the performance ECU. Wasn't worth the trouble.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #13
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I bought and installed a much horsepower 5.9...375 HP. I didn't change the fan. I did have the performance ecu. Check kolak from my SIG. I regeared to 4.56s and also had thorley headers and a 3 inch exhaust. Don't go cheap and oval out anything...buy new parts and it'll run like a scalded deer.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #14
David97
1995 ZJ 

Yeah I already looked up the harmonic balancer and flexplate. Probably going to start ordering stuff next week. Ill probably get a new torque converter anyways as well. Think it was only like 130 bucks or something like that.

Anyways, thanks for help clarifying some stuff for me. Appreciate it.

If anyone has any tips/tricks they want to share feel free as well.
Unread 08-14-2013, 01:19 AM   #15
Rich93ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Subbed....Would love to know how it works out for you as I might be interested when my 5.2 takes a dump. Keep us updated on the progress Good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.