5.9 serpentine belt... help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.9 serpentine belt... help!

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-27-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
aletheuontes

5.9 serpentine belt... help!

ok guys... my first thread and I need some help because this is driving me crazy!

I got my 5.9 in February 07 and about a month later, the serpentine belt started squealing. I used some belt conditioner and that helped for about a day, then it started back up. After a few weeks, the squeal only got worse... so I finally replaced the tensioner. This lessened the noise, but the squeal was still present. The local garage suggested replacing the belt, so I did and it was fixed! Or so I thought...

Not too long after this, my rear-end gave out so the jeep was parked for a few months. But I just put a new rear-end on it and am driving it again (yay!). But now, after driving about 200 miles, the stupid belt is squealing again!!!!!!!

WHY???

The only thing I can figure now is that I have a pulley that is causing the belt to wear unevenly....?

Please help!

aletheuontes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2007, 10:12 AM   #2
micifus
Original GC'er

1993 ZJ 

Very well could be your water pump. With the belt off check the shaft to the WP see if there is any play

1970 Jeepster Commando 225 V6
32"x11.5" BFG A/T
4" Lift

"For every one thing I fix two things break"
micifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
Nurburgringer
1998 ZJ 

could also be the idler pulley and/or tensioner pulley bearings are shot. They are pretty cheap at Rockauto.com and easy to replace, I just did both on my 5.9 as a preventative measure at the same time I did the water pump (Pepboys) and ASP underdrive crank pulley (Summitracing.com) to replace my bent stock one.
Obviously a new belt at the same time is also a smart move.
Kurt
Nurburgringer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.