5.9 overheats!!!!! Going crazy!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.9 overheats!!!!! Going crazy!!!!

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail 99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Dark Headlights Clear Cor99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Chrome Headlights

Unread 01-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
wickedkingszj
1998 ZJ 

5.9 overheats!!!!! Going crazy!!!!

I have a 98 zj with a 5.9l 165k and it constantly overheats.

Info on Jeep:

I have replaced the plenum pan gasket, intake gasket(which were horrible), thermostat, burped cooling system for hours on end with numerous gallons of coolant, E-fan is direct wired on high at all times.

No matter what the temp is outside, no matter what manner I drive (highway, off-road, city), the jeep overheats, heat stops being hot and the overflow bottle boils!!!

I have tried everything to burp the cooling system and I always have the same outcome steam and boiling the overflow bottle.

I'm going crazy over here!!!

Any help is appreciated!!!

wickedkingszj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
kachink
1998 ZJ 

What temps are you getting on the guage?
Are you running a proper coolant mix or just water?
For coolant to actually boil in the expansion tank it's got to be really hot (I don't recall the temp). Plain water will boil in the expansion tank at normal operating temps.
kachink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
wickedkingszj
1998 ZJ 

I run typically 60% coolant 40% water but it doesn't matter either way...would a head gasket allowing exhaust gases into the Copland cause this issue?
Unread 01-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Had a '97 that did the exact same thing. Ended up being a cracked head. Replaced them both with new ones and problem solved.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Did you replace the radiator cap?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #6
wickedkingszj
1998 ZJ 

Brand new radiator cap installed same issue
Unread 01-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #7
wickedkingszj
1998 ZJ 

A few things to add:
When it runs at normal temp 180-220 the idle drops very low almost stalls and I have heat momentarily

Then after a drive around the block it will all of a sudden start blowing cold air and the temp gauge rises.

If I rev the engine to about 3500 rpm the temp will drop 20-50 degrees then I let off and I have heat for a few minutes but it will blow cold eventually and start over heating?

Could the water pump be to blame? There are no signs of a typical failed water pump...pully is good and solid and spins freely, no leaks whatso ever around the pump...

If I have to replace heads or head gasket I'm going to stroke this engine I believe...any hints or tips as to what would be a good setup?
Unread 01-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

A bad water pump can cause the coolant to boil. So can a bad head gasket.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 06:17 PM   #9
Snowfan2
1998 ZJ 

Sounds like a head gasket.

1. Scan for codes
2. Do a compression check with all plugs out, throttle held open with screwdriver and fuel pump relay and coil wire disconnected. Post results.
3. Is there ANY oil in your coolant recovery bottle? If so, watch for little bubbles bubbling into bottle from overflow tube. =head gasket.
4. If you have a low cylinder do a leak-down test or go to NAPA and get what they call a block tester to confirm head gasket. It samples the gas in the radiator and indicates exhaust leak into coolant.
5. Have you blown any hoses?

Fix your fan, it helps nothing running on high full time. If you are in a cold environment it can cause problems.

Sounds like you have more than 1 issue going on. The scan for codes and compression check should sort it out. Compression check and leak down kit at Harbor Freight for about 35 bucks each. Block test at NAPA FOR 40+-.
Snowfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #10
s99
2000 WJ 

I just fixed my overheating problem I had for a week. I was driving with the temperature gauge passing the third quarter (engine smoking). I know you've done this already, but I ended up leaving the rad cap and bleeder open for about 15 minutes running. It blew out sooooo much air and bubbles while filling the rad. Engine stayed cool ever after.

Does the temperature drop while the heater is blowing?
s99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 06:48 AM   #11
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
burped cooling system for hours on end with numerous gallons of coolant
I've only used 2 gallons give er take a little . Where's your coolant going ? Makes it look like a head/gasket issue . I agree with Snowfan . Could be a cracked head also . If compression tests show an issue , and you do end up taking it apart , be sure to have the heads checked for cracks . It would be a lot of wasted time to do a gasket job twice .

Only thing that confuses me here is no mention of white smoke or coolant smelling exhaust Problem seems bad enough , these symptoms should appear . No mention of leaks on the floor , or anywhere on the engine so the typical by-pass(maybe replaced during plenum job) should be fine . Another typical leak is the timing-cover gasket . It would have to be blown completely to the point a leak would be obvious . I have one leaking for 3 yrs and still no issues other than a top up every 6 months or so . If you don't ave a puddle from it , I don't see it being an issue .

You need that compression tested
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 07:26 AM   #12
wickedkingszj
1998 ZJ 

No notice of coolant in exhaust

No leaks present at all inside or out

Coolant bottle will boil as soon as it's up to temp, it bubbles violently when the jeep is hot

There has been a time or 2 where the upper radiator hose blew off the radiator and in turn emptied the cooling system

Also I have flushed the heater core and get good flow in and out

Gonna try compression test...
Unread 01-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #13
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Since you mentioned blowing off the upper rad hose , are you sure the rad is OK ? That kinda pressure could indicate the head issues or a plugged rad IMO .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:12 AM   #14
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedkingszj View Post
Brand new radiator cap installed same issue
Now put a new radiator under it.
Unread 01-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #15
Snowfan2
1998 ZJ 

I have a head gasket leaking and have no coolant smell or fog in exhaust. My compression numbers look about like this...
1. 160
2. 130
3. 162
4. 155
5. 164
6. 163
7. 168
8. 159

2 is way out of spec. I plan to fix it this week.

The NAPA kit is the fastest and easiest way to find out if it is head gasket.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...006_0361073538

Autozone has it also http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=391378_0_0_

Blown hose and bubbling/boiling in coolant bottle hint at head gasket. There are some videos on youtube that might help you figure it out. Search head gasket, leak etc.
Snowfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.