5.9 Magnum swap into my 95 5.2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.9 Magnum swap into my 95 5.2

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 05-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

5.9 Magnum swap into my 95 5.2

So this thread is basically going to be a 'build' of my engine swap, I'm new to engine work (never attempted anything like this) so any critique and advise is more than welcome. The main reason I've taken this project on is because I wanted to learn about engines, without having to tear down the engine that is currently in my Jeep. I figured why not buy a 5.9, learn about it, fix it up and swap it in?

So going on that I went out and bought a 5.9 Magnum engine from a 99 Dodge Ram.

Home and on the stand

As you can tell it needs some work. So begins the tear down.

dirty

Heads off

This is pretty much were I am now, I have the oil pan off and will be taking the timing cover and chain when I get some free time.

So here's the plan

Keep everything stock, or mostly stock.

Take the block to get cleaned and machined as needed.
Replace Pistons if needed
New timing chain
New water pump
New heads if needed
Pretty much new everything

I have a ton of work left to do, but I wanted to go ahead and get this posted, hopefully any engine gurus can advise me and make sure I'm pointed in the right direction.

Like I said, I've never done engine work, ever, so this is all new to me. If the project fails, I'm only out some time and money, and at least I'll have learned about engines.

Thanks for checking it out

Unread 05-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
samuraiwarrior2
1995 ZJ 

I'm really interested to see how this goes! This is something I started thinking about doing to my 95 Orvis one day. Keep us updated on how everything comes together.
Unread 05-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
firsttimeZJ13
1995 ZJ 

Did you get the computer from the 5.9 as well? Or do you plan on having yours flashed to work? I know carbs very well but not too much about the technology crap!
Unread 05-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeZJ13 View Post
Did you get the computer from the 5.9 as well? Or do you plan on having yours flashed to work? I know carbs very well but not too much about the technology crap!
OBD1 5.2 ZJ computers have enough fuel trim overhead to run a stock or near-stock 5.9. Open-loop running probably leaves something to be desired but I've never gotten around to installing an AFR gauge on mine.

OP: Good luck with your build! The Magnum motors are dead easy to work on and are a good place to learn how to build. Follow your shop manual, have your heads inspected for cracks, and be sure to Plasti-gage your bearing tolerances.
Unread 05-23-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

cool project!

The 95 computer will handle it stock. You will need to run at least midgrade.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
You will need to run at least midgrade.
Do you have any mods that are necessitating the higher-octane gas? I've only ever needed to run regular gas in mine and never had any problems.
Unread 05-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Awesome way of learning! Wish I had the room to tear down an engine. How much did you pay for the engine and stand?
Unread 05-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSplat View Post
Do you have any mods that are necessitating the higher-octane gas? I've only ever needed to run regular gas in mine and never had any problems.
That is a good question. Here is what I got so far...

When I installed the performance computer on my '95, lots of pinging. Mainly pulling grades on hot summer days. Back to stock and hardly any. Seems when warming up there is a bit.

My '94 never pinged with the 5.9 swap. But the '95 returnless system seems to be a bit different.
Unread 05-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #9
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
That is a good question. Here is what I got so far...

When I installed the performance computer on my '95, lots of pinging. Mainly pulling grades on hot summer days. Back to stock and hardly any. Seems when warming up there is a bit.

My '94 never pinged with the 5.9 swap. But the '95 returnless system seems to be a bit different.
Aaaah shoot, I'd forgotten you had the Mopar computer, it's probably running a more aggressive spark timing that requires the higher octane. The factory 5.9 ZJ needs premium gas for that same reason.
Unread 05-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #10
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Aaaah, I didn't know you had the Mopar computer, it's probably running a more aggressive spark timing that requires the higher octane. The factory 5.9 ZJ needs premium gas for that same reason.
But it still pings when warming up with the stock computer. I keep the performance computer on the shelf as a spare now.

Anyway been like this for 4 years now.
Unread 05-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #11
red2black00
2000 WJ 

Invest in a good torque wrench!
red2black00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #12
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Follow your shop manual, have your heads inspected for cracks, and be sure to Plasti-gage your bearing tolerances.
I'm glad you mentioned plasti-gage, I'd never heard of that, but I just googled it and it should be easy enough to check. Thanks!

Any other things to check? I've read a lot on the parts I need to order to make my 5.9 work with the 95 zj. But I'm sure that there are things I don't know still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3 View Post
Awesome way of learning! Wish I had the room to tear down an engine. How much did you pay for the engine and stand?
It definitely is! I've always wanted to learn about engines so I'm glad I finally can. I think I paid $500 for the engine at one of the local yards, the stand was around $170 at Northern Tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2black00 View Post
Invest in a good torque wrench!
Yes! I have a cheap HF torque wrench now, but will be upgrading to a nicer more exact one before I start re-assembling everything.
Unread 05-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #13
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Awesome! I'll look forward to following this. I wanna rebuild my 5.9 eventually, and this'll be a good guide I believe. Good luck man!
Unread 05-23-2014, 09:42 PM   #14
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myusername1674 View Post
I'm glad you mentioned plasti-gage, I'd never heard of that, but I just googled it and it should be easy enough to check. Thanks!
There's lots of little things like that you'll run into that require a special tool and/or a little know-how - the FSM of course will tell you to use a $250 specialized tool while some will use a piece of hockey stick. Things like Plasti-gage will keep you from having to buy expensive micrometers, but sometimes you do need the right tool for the job - tough to get pistons installed without a piston ring compressor! Feeler gauges will be needed for checking your piston ring end gap, things like that. Give the FSM procedure a read though a couple times before you start putting things together so you know what steps are coming up next - there's nothing worse than getting elbow-deep in a motor and having to stop because you didn't have all your ducks in a row for the next assembly step.

Also on the to-get list: Some good engine assembly lube and make sure you have both a foot-lb torque wrench and an inch-lb torque wrench. You don't have to break the bank on those either - you'd be surprised how good the not-crazy-expensive torque wrenches can be.
Unread 05-23-2014, 09:46 PM   #15
red2black00
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myusername1674
I'm glad you mentioned plasti-gage, I'd never heard of that, but I just googled it and it should be easy enough to check. Thanks! Any other things to check? I've read a lot on the parts I need to order to make my 5.9 work with the 95 zj. But I'm sure that there are things I don't know still. It definitely is! I've always wanted to learn about engines so I'm glad I finally can. I think I paid $500 for the engine at one of the local yards, the stand was around $170 at Northern Tool. Yes! I have a cheap HF torque wrench now, but will be upgrading to a nicer more exact one before I start re-assembling everything.
One other thing idk what they are called but there are these little plastic caps things that you can get to put on the bolts on your connecting rod when you are putting them in the block it's just protection for the crank that way if you accidentally bump it you have less of a chance at scarring the crank
red2black00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.