5.9 liter drives like a u-haul - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.9 liter drives like a u-haul

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 08-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
joshuatchandler
1998 ZJ 

5.9 liter drives like a u-haul

Just got my first jeep a few months ago. I've had small sporty cars until this jeep so I understand that there will be a big difference in street performance. But, I have also driven larger vehicles and mine seems to perform terrible on streets and highways. When I hit a bump on the interstate I feel like I'm gonna crash and most likely die. It feels like the car wants to jump off the road. The best way i can describe it is like driving a u-haul.... what could be the problem?

joshuatchandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
jutgin
2013 JK Wrangler 

cheap lift, worn tires, worn shocks, needs alignment, ball joints, tie rod ends. There's more I'm sure. You may need to take it an alignment shop and have them check it all out.
jutgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
joshuatchandler
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutgin View Post
cheap lift, worn tires, worn shocks, needs alignment, ball joints, tie rod ends. There's more I'm sure. You may need to take it an alignment shop and have them check it all out.
thanks man. I definitely have worn tires. I did not know that could cause this problem. it also needs an alignment. it doesn't have a lift and i just had the ball joints and axles replaced.

The dude i bought it off of was a mechanic and he "jack legged" a few things just to sale it. he put split boots on it so the first time it took it in the woods mud got in there and ruined the ball joints. He also somehow rigged up the power steering and the pulley fell off and pump screwed up... but i still love my purchase, i'll never go back to a car again.
Unread 08-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
turtlerace
Best taken in small doses

1979 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuatchandler View Post
thanks man. I definitely have worn tires. I did not know that could cause this problem. it also needs an alignment. it doesn't have a lift and i just had the ball joints and axles replaced.

The dude i bought it off of was a mechanic and he "jack legged" a few things just to sale it. he put split boots on it so the first time it took it in the woods mud got in there and ruined the ball joints. He also somehow rigged up the power steering and the pulley fell off and pump screwed up... but i still love my purchase, i'll never go back to a car again.
Post his name up on here so no one takes their jeep to him to fix!
Unread 08-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
jutgin
2013 JK Wrangler 

^^^^^^^ X2
jutgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

It could be a number of things.

I really think you need to paint us a clearer picture. What exactly happens? The Jeep wobbles? wanders? bumpsteer? death wobble?

What you take it in for an alignment they will tell you if there is anything wrong (from what they can tell) before they try to align it.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
joshuatchandler
1998 ZJ 

my steering wheel shakes around 60 but i assume that is tires and/or alignment. what i'm talking about is when i hit a bump at high speeds it just feels really loose and it will immediately pull one direction or the other.

"bump steer" and "wobble" sound the most relevant. It's definitely not death wobble. My dads truck had that, i never got in it again.
Unread 08-03-2009, 12:04 AM   #8
Mikedc3
1998 ZJ 

Track Bar, Tie Rods, Steering Box, Control Arm Bushings all need to be checked.

Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while you look at both ends of the track bar and all tie rods. Look for play in them. Get a good look at the control arm bushings for any cracks\tears etc.

Sounds like your front axle may be wandering after you hit a bump which results in the pulling.
Mikedc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 05:26 PM   #9
joshuatchandler
1998 ZJ 

steering stabilizer fixed it.
Unread 12-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #10
reedjor
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Steering stabilizer can also mask a bigger problem and make you think it's fixed... like running dual steering stabilizers on a sloppy lift.
reedjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 07:57 AM   #11
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

There are a couple of things that running a 98 year model Jeep will need to have replaced.

Shocks
Swaybar bushings or a new bar and bushings like an Addco bar
Steering stabilizer
alignment

Those should get it up and riding much better.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.