5.9 limited transfer case external shaft? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.9 limited transfer case external shaft?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
volksman
1998 ZJ 

5.9 limited transfer case external shaft?

while looking for a 242 case for my niner for an eventual swap..........

the 249 in my 5.9 has no rubber boot at the rear output.
this seems contradictory to some of the info i have read.

simply put:
should my niner originally have had the external shaft with rubber boot or the
internal without rubber boot?

Unread 10-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
vansskaterfreek
1998 ZJ 

i have a 5.9, i have the external rubber boot on the 242 i installed and works great, i submerged it and havent gotten water on the slip yoke yet
Unread 10-06-2009, 01:58 AM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

The 249 is internal slip. The oil seal keeps oil in and dirt out. No need for a boot.
The 242 and 231 can be internal or external depending upon year and vehicle application.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.