5.9 Electrical Gremlins. Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.9 Electrical Gremlins. Help!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
Keyjeep
1998 ZJ 

5.9 Electrical Gremlins. Help!

My '98 5.9 LTD is doing some weird stuff...

First thing that happened was the drivers side fore/aft seat adjusted drive cable broke... No big deal I thought, and found a replacement...

Then it broke again...
But the reason became clear about a week ago when I was in the garage, working at my bench... The Jeep was sitting there unlocked, no key in and I heard a strange noise.. I went to look for the source, and there it was... the seat was jumping back and forth, the backrest was on the move too, as were the mirrors!
Its stopped after about a minute.
Then yeaterday I went to use the car, it started fine, and then the seat and mirrors started jerking again, and would not stop!
I had to disconnect the battery.

Ideas???

Keyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Memory function acting up possibly. Mine used to do it. And I got it to stop by simply unplugging the harness in the driver side door panel that plugs into the memory buttons. Only thing is that the driver door will not lock/unlock with the keyfob anymore. Which is worth it to me. Just have to remember to lock it before you leave it and if you don't lock it but hit the lock button and open it the alarm will go off. Ask me how I know...
Unread 03-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
Keyjeep
1998 ZJ 

I read that the mirror position sensor can be a problem...
My drivers side mirror stopped working recently...
I just found a complete used mirror on Ebay, and its on it way.
Lets see if that will fix it.
Keyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Unplug the memory switches. I did this, my door still locks with the fob. My mirror was nuts, but my seats were fine. I doubt that anything in the mirror would effect the seats, so your problem is probably with the switch module.
MN59ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.