5.9 Efan into the 5.2 - JeepForum.com

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 85 Old 02-28-2016, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
AdidasCJ
1996 ZJ 

Garage
5.9 Efan into the 5.2

I have started doing my homework as I wait for the 5.9 efan to arrive. I have both sensors, relays and harness. I have been searching the forms and get the just of how to wire it up. but there is a couple questions that I have that Im kinda confused on.....

Ok to the Harness: The power has two wires, a thick green with red stripe and a smaller orange wire. Do I have the understanding that the green/red gets hooked directly to the battery? (I know it needs an in line fuse, however, what size fuse?). With the smaller gauge orange wire being hooked up to ACC circuit when the key is on?

ALSO; I wish to hook a switch to the fan so I have the option to cut the power just incase I find some puddles... What wire would I use? Would it be the orange wire?

If im thinking correctly... is it:
(( ACC wire > Swtich > orange fan wire ))

I plan to leave the switch in the 'on' position to allow the fan to run as it should, but have the option to cut the power if needed.

Next part im not sure of, the harness has a plug for the A/C. How and or where does this go? What/where does it get spliced into?

There is also a plug looking thing on the harness that I dont know where or what its even for... (pic below)

Thanks in advance for the insight. Looking to do the fan install in the next couple weeks.

****UPDATE @ Post 62 03/20/2016 ****

96 ZJ 5.2; IRO 4.5, Adj. Upper/Lower CA, Bilstein 5100s, 265/75/16 Goodyear, IRO OTK, 5.9 efan, 242.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 Old 02-29-2016, 12:37 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdidasCJ View Post
Ok to the Harness: The power has two wires, a thick green with red stripe and a smaller orange wire. Do I have the understanding that the green/red gets hooked directly to the battery? (I know it needs an in line fuse, however, what size fuse?). With the smaller gauge orange wire being hooked up to ACC circuit when the key is on?
Yeap, red/green is the power feed. It's behind a 60Amp flat fuse on the PDC on the 5.9s - same large size as ie. ABS fuse is.

Orange doesn't have anything to do with A/C, it's for the ignition relay (orange wire has 12V only when the ign. key is at "RUN" postion).

Quote:
ALSO; I wish to hook a switch to the fan so I have the option to cut the power just incase I find some puddles... What wire would I use? Would it be the orange wire?
Yeap, orange feeds the ignition relay, which in turn allows the low- or high speed relays to operate. I haven't added a switch yeat, but plan to do so. When going through mud or deep water, it's nice to have the e-fan off. Keeps the engine bay clean

Quote:
Next part im not sure of, the harness has a plug for the A/C. How and or where does this go? What/where does it get spliced into?
You need the 5.9- specific A/C hard line, which has a place for the connector and the switch itself. They are a junk-yard-only part..

Quote:
There is also a plug looking thing on the harness that I dont know where or what its even for... (pic below)

That's the diagnostic connector.
Pull the "dummy" plug off from the end, and you can then use a multimeter to check things if the e-fan doesn't work

Here's a wiring diagram for the system, to make your life easier

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #3 of 85 Old 02-29-2016, 12:45 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Btw., do yourself a favor and get a VDO PM6069 replacement fan motor at this point. You also need WPT-168 pigtail harness; Ford e-fan motor uses a different plug from Jeep.

If your fan motor hasn't been replaced, it's more than likely it will die soon. My motor died @ ~120k miles, and they are known to die way sooner than that.

With the wiring harness on the garage table, I'd simply cut off the Jeep connector alltogether, and solder the Ford pigtail harness to the Jeep harness. I suggest soldering and using heat-shrink tube (with glue).

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #4 of 85 Old 02-29-2016, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
AdidasCJ
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
Yeap, red/green is the power feed. It's behind a 60Amp flat fuse on the PDC on the 5.9s - same large size as ie. ABS fuse is.

Orange doesn't have anything to do with A/C, it's for the ignition relay (orange wire has 12V only when the ign. key is at "RUN" position).

You need the 5.9- specific A/C hard line, which has a place for the connector and the switch itself. They are a junk-yard-only part..

Yea ACC = Ignition

And DAMN, how can I hook up the fan without that hard line... Im sure there is a way... Don't the 5.2 also have a sensor/switch on their hard lines?

Quote:
Btw., do yourself a favor and get a VDO PM6069 replacement fan motor at this point. You also need WPT-168 pigtail harness; Ford e-fan motor uses a different plug from Jeep.

If your fan motor hasn't been replaced, it's more than likely it will die soon. My motor died @ ~120k miles, and they are known to die way sooner than that.

With the wiring harness on the garage table, I'd simply cut off the Jeep connector alltogether, and solder the Ford pigtail harness to the Jeep harness. I suggest soldering and using heat-shrink tube (with glue).

I was JUST reading another post about the fan motor. Autozone has a motor for ~50 bucks. So ima go ahead and just take care of it NOW before it causes me a headache later.

THANKS!

96 ZJ 5.2; IRO 4.5, Adj. Upper/Lower CA, Bilstein 5100s, 265/75/16 Goodyear, IRO OTK, 5.9 efan, 242.
post #5 of 85 Old 02-29-2016, 02:12 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdidasCJ View Post
Yea ACC = Ignition
My bad... I read A/C, not ACC

Quote:
And DAMN, how can I hook up the fan without that hard line... Im sure there is a way... Don't the 5.2 also have a sensor/switch on their hard lines?
It's not an absolute must to have that A/C switch for the low speed fan operation - source the relay control voltage by splicing into ie. the A/C compressor magnetic clutch feed wire. When the A/C compressor kicks on, so does your e-fan.

5.2s don't have that connector at all - 5.9s have two switches on the A/C hard lines, where 5.2/4.0 only has one. I can't remember if the common one found on all models is a pressure sensor or pressure switch. If it's sensor, IMO you better tap into the A/C compressor magnetic clutch feed

Quote:
I was JUST reading another post about the fan motor. Autozone has a motor for ~50 bucks.
THANKS!
So ima go ahead and just take care of it NOW before it causes me a headache later.
Just remember the pigtail harness as well Soak the e-fan rotor assembly spring-loaded hold-down clip with penetrating fluid, it may be stuck pretty bad. Also, once you get it off beware that it may fly away fast I suggest pulling it off under a rag, makes it far easier to find it..
Fan rotor is a press-fit on the motor, pry it off nice and easy - it'll come off eventually.

Feel free to ask if you run into any issues.. I've had a few hickups with the e-fan, even though IMO it's a very good and reliable system overall.

..it was just past week I noticed my e-fan wasn't kicking on at all - of course in heavy city traffic during rush hour going 0-15 miles an hour most of the time Made for a fun drive back home.. good thing it was only ~30F outside and snowing with winds.. kept the engine just below overheating.
Eventually I found out it was BOTH my e-fan high current relays I bought a couple years ago had failed at exactly the same time. Both clicked, and I could even measure 12V going through them so I didn't suspect them to be the reason. However, they were so corroded internally they couldn't handle the high amperage the e-fan requires. Glad I had saved my OEM relays - they still work after being installed at the assembly plant back in early 1998 ..beware of cheap Chinese crap, I gotta find better high-amp relays than the ones I bought last time.

***Under construction***
post #6 of 85 Old 02-29-2016, 02:17 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I have no low speed for AC with my setup at the moment and other than not having AC until I get moving.

It took my mechanic a few weeks to track down the high pressure line with the second port for the fan switch when we redid the AC on my niner.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #7 of 85 Old 02-29-2016, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
AdidasCJ
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
My bad... I read A/C, not ACC

It's not an absolute must to have that A/C switch for the low speed fan operation - source the relay control voltage by splicing into ie. the A/C compressor magnetic clutch feed wire. When the A/C compressor kicks on, so does your e-fan.

5.2s don't have that connector at all - 5.9s have two switches on the A/C hard lines, where 5.2/4.0 only has one. I can't remember if the common one found on all models is a pressure sensor or pressure switch. If it's sensor, IMO you better tap into the A/C compressor magnetic clutch feed

Just remember the pigtail harness as well Soak the e-fan rotor assembly spring-loaded hold-down clip with penetrating fluid, it may be stuck pretty bad. Also, once you get it off beware that it may fly away fast I suggest pulling it off under a rag, makes it far easier to find it..
Fan rotor is a press-fit on the motor, pry it off nice and easy - it'll come off eventually.

Feel free to ask if you run into any issues.. I've had a few hickups with the e-fan, even though IMO it's a very good and reliable system overall.

..it was just past week I noticed my e-fan wasn't kicking on at all - of course in heavy city traffic during rush hour going 0-15 miles an hour most of the time Made for a fun drive back home.. good thing it was only ~30F outside and snowing with winds.. kept the engine just below overheating.
Eventually I found out it was BOTH my e-fan high current relays I bought a couple years ago had failed at exactly the same time. Both clicked, and I could even measure 12V going through them so I didn't suspect them to be the reason. However, they were so corroded internally they couldn't handle the high amperage the e-fan requires. Glad I had saved my OEM relays - they still work after being installed at the assembly plant back in early 1998 ..beware of cheap Chinese crap, I gotta find better high-amp relays than the ones I bought last time.

Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
I have no low speed for AC with my setup at the moment and other than not having AC until I get moving.

It took my mechanic a few weeks to track down the high pressure line with the second port for the fan switch when we redid the AC on my niner.

Ima try to see if the guy i got this fan from still has access to that niner and try to get the hard line for it... Is it the SAME hard line on the 5.2 vs the 5.9, just the 5.9 has the two places for the switches?

**EDIT** What does the switch that is currently in the 5.2 hard line control? Could I (A); remove that switch for the 5.9? or (B) Splice the 5.9 switch wires to it and have one switch pull double duty?

post #8 of 85 Old 02-29-2016, 02:50 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yes, its physically identical except for the second port.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #9 of 85 Old 02-29-2016, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
AdidasCJ
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Yes, its physically identical except for the second port.
Ima see if I can get the hard line... hell my AC needs a recharge anyways, so now would be the time to replace that line....

Is there a special tool to remove the hard lines?

post #10 of 85 Old 02-29-2016, 04:24 PM
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

They unbolt on the A/C clutch, and you need a quick disconnect tool on the A/C Condensor "the big radiator thing in front of the coolant radiator"

I actually pulled a 5.9 fan from a JY like 3 weeks ago.. I sold the fan and relays and low/high speed switch.. but i didnt realize there was a 3rd relay and the A/C switchs as well, the guy said he didnt care about the A/C switches or the A/C hard line though because he bought the fan as a spare for his 5.9 so he already had it.

I went back anyway and pulled the 3rd relay and the two A/C switches for my 5.9 as spares.. but i left that hard line on it since i didnt need it.. I just checked the yards website that 5.9 is still there.. But its like an hour drive away from me, and i litterally have no money to get the quick disconnect tool, or to purchase it from the yard.. Also need to watch my gas.

If you despretly want it.. I can go back and get it for you, but I'll need money up front.. Last time i got a part for someone on this forum it was the auto temp fan relay... and i wasted $15 on it and the person never responded back.. So im not about to do that again. Did you get ALL the wire harness.. for the 3 relays, the fan, and the low/high speed switches and the TWO a/c switches ?

The offer is out, but i will want money up front via paypal lol
post #11 of 85 Old 02-29-2016, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
AdidasCJ
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
They unbolt on the A/C clutch, and you need a quick disconnect tool on the A/C Condensor "the big radiator thing in front of the coolant radiator"

I actually pulled a 5.9 fan from a JY like 3 weeks ago.. I sold the fan and relays and low/high speed switch.. but i didnt realize there was a 3rd relay and the A/C switchs as well, the guy said he didnt care about the A/C switches or the A/C hard line though because he bought the fan as a spare for his 5.9 so he already had it.

I went back anyway and pulled the 3rd relay and the two A/C switches for my 5.9 as spares.. but i left that hard line on it since i didnt need it.. I just checked the yards website that 5.9 is still there.. But its like an hour drive away from me, and i litterally have no money to get the quick disconnect tool, or to purchase it from the yard.. Also need to watch my gas.

If you despretly want it.. I can go back and get it for you, but I'll need money up front.. Last time i got a part for someone on this forum it was the auto temp fan relay... and i wasted $15 on it and the person never responded back.. So im not about to do that again. Did you get ALL the wire harness.. for the 3 relays, the fan, and the low/high speed switches and the TWO a/c switches ?

The offer is out, but i will want money up front via paypal lol

Thanks for the offer. But I was able to obtain the upper line from the same niner that this fan came from. It should be here in a few days.

I can say tho... this mod has cost me a little cash, but if ima do it RIGHT... MIGHT as well do it ALL IN. LOL

post #12 of 85 Old 02-29-2016, 07:35 PM
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

How much did you pay ? I sold the 5.9 fan, 2 relays and 2 low and high speed switch on the t fitting for $250 on ebay.. Sold in two days LOL and i only paid $24 for the fan. I should have sold it for more.

Glad youre getting the a/c line
post #13 of 85 Old 02-29-2016, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
AdidasCJ
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
How much did you pay ? I sold the 5.9 fan, 2 relays and 2 low and high speed switch on the t fitting for $250 on ebay.. Sold in two days LOL and i only paid $24 for the fan. I should have sold it for more.

Glad youre getting the a/c line
Im at about 200.00 for: Fan, relays, harness, hard line, upper/lower sensor with t-fittings.

I know I know im not doing too bad. But its from a member here so he did take care of me. I will spend the extra ~50.00 for a NEW fan motor when it does arrive, but that's to save me a headache later when the stock 5.9 fan motor dies... It is 19 years old after all.

So around 250.00 when its all said and done. But is a mod to address my slight temperature issue I had when out on the trail.

OH and a few bucks for a rocker switch. I want to be able to kill it if I encounter a puddle.

I always look at these type of things as, me being better than the last owner at taking care of things. Plus I can truly say, I built my rig, I didn't buy it!

post #14 of 85 Old 02-29-2016, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
AdidasCJ
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Welp... Went ahead and got the next part for it... Gotta still call the ford dealership tomorrow.

post #15 of 85 Old 03-01-2016, 05:47 AM
jeepjeepster

Not looked into it, but Ive always wondered if this would work for the A/C.

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalo...ch-p-2754.html

1994 ZJ-I6 w/216,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/65,155 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/90,300 mi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.