5.9 crankshaft pilot bushing questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.9 crankshaft pilot bushing questions

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-20-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
Aceladriver

5.9 crankshaft pilot bushing questions

I have read that not all 5.9 crankshafts are drilled for pilot bushings so I figure the 5.9 in the 98 ZJ might not be.

Does anyone know of any way surefire rule as to which cranks were used in which applications? I'd like to find out before I take the trans out.
Maybe by serial # or application?

I figure the hole that's there can't be enlarged in place since it has to be precise. True?
If I can't put a pilot bushing in then that's the show stopper right there.

I know wheelup1 at JU did the swap but haven't seen any info on the pilot bushing problem. (I PM'd him a few minutes ago but he hasn't posted in 2 years)

Also, what applications where the close range NV3550s used in?
I know the NV4500 (4550?) is heavier duty but I've heard that first gear is almost a granny gear. I'm looking more for on road performance.

Unread 07-02-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
sharpie
go to driveautogear.com!

I was wondering this too. If anyone has a picture of the back of the crank (mine is in my Demon already), a picture would be deeply appreciated!

Check out our shirts in the Vendor Display Forum!

- Brian
Drive Auto Gear
Drive Auto Gear Website

Like us on Facebook!

XJ Writeups:
| DOORLESS IN A 97+ | D44 SWAP | REBUILDING A CV DRIVESHAFT | HOME-BREWED CENTER CONSOLE
sharpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
Aceladriver

I never did get 100% solid info on this.
Wheelup1 said he had the PB hole on his crank enlarged to fit a pilot bearing.
EMTimZJ used a solid bushing type and I believe he said it fit right in.
If you ask on the Dodge forums they will tell you all Magnum cranks are drilled for PBs, but some Jeep folks said their's were not. So maybe it was a case of them not trying or finding the right PB?

Not really great pics but this is what I have.

First pic is from EMTimZJ's Project Tortoise (94 5.2) Next are some generic pics of various bushings I found online, last is a (pretty crappy) pic of a 98 5.2 crank.

Wow time flies huh? That post was from 2007! OMG!

I never did my conversion - but through a strange turn of events last year I ended up buying Wheelup1's 5spd SC'd 5.9 from the guy he sold it to.

It's a solid driver and I haven't had any reason to tear into it yet so I still don't know any more than I did before about the PB issue.

I can tell you it's a blast to drive though. As a matter of fact I took it to work today!
Unread 07-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
sharpie
go to driveautogear.com!

whoa great info. Maybe the best option is foe me to just check mine with mirrors. If I had it drilled, it'd make the 4-speed swap much easier

Check out our shirts in the Vendor Display Forum!

- Brian
Drive Auto Gear
Drive Auto Gear Website

Like us on Facebook!

XJ Writeups:
| DOORLESS IN A 97+ | D44 SWAP | REBUILDING A CV DRIVESHAFT | HOME-BREWED CENTER CONSOLE
sharpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Aceladriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie View Post
whoa great info. Maybe the best option is foe me to just check mine with mirrors. If I had it drilled, it'd make the 4-speed swap much easier
A bit late with the reply but...

I don't think you'd be able to tell much with a mirror if you could even see anything at all.

From another forum, this is what ratmonkey found;

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
The 318 pilot hole was .020" undersize for the dodge ram pilot bearing. Easy clean up. I'll drop off the second bearing I got t the machine shop so they can do any other work needed to that crank.

Should have it movable(minus exhaust) by sunday.
So of four Jeep V8s that I know of, I think only EMTimZJ was able to install a bearing or bushing without it needing work (at least I'm pretty sure he didn't machine for it)
Not sure if that means he did a better search for the parts or if that means his 5.2 was drilled different than some other Jeep Magnum V8s
Unread 08-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

I did a engine swap 318 to 360 in an 85' Ramcharger, once the 360 was in my truck I found that the PB didn't fit. My motor guy put it in a lathe and turned it down so it would fit, he even made me an extra. If we would have known during engine build he could have made pilot hole bigger.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #7
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

i used a bearing, if i would have searched a little harder i could have found a solid bushing for it in the correct size.
iirc the 318 had a .980" hole.
my 4" stroker crank came out .060" undersize from the pilot bearings i want to use(dodge ram with the magnum motor).
the stroker crank came out at .940" on the dot.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.