5.9 Cooling Fan causes extreme voltage drop when it turns on - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.9 Cooling Fan causes extreme voltage drop when it turns on

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 11-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #16
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
My DC controls fan controller made that exact same noise, but the sound came from the fan motor. It is caused by pulsed DC, which controls the fan speed and is by design. Maybe the relay or the temp switch that engages the relay is bad. I would hook the fan directly to the battery and see how it acts.
The stock blower motor (with ATC) is controlled in the same manner, and is in the vicinity of the passenger kick panel. Could be that when the voltage drops, the blower motor becomes audible? Perhaps test this with the blower turned off and see if the noise still appears.

Still need to see if the cooling fan or the alternator are causing the voltage drop, though.

Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #17
Zew

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I spoke to Kolak about it and he thinks the motor is toast. He also thinks that since its drawing so much power its making relays screech. So he recommended that I buy a new fan motor. He says he's got the same part number but its for a ford application and he also sells a pigtail harness to adapt it to my 5.9 if i cut the plug off the old motor. I'm probably going to go that route as long as none of the blades on the fan are broken etc.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited - Kolak Ignition upgrade, K&N CAI, DT Headers w 3" Kolak exhaust/Flowmaster 50/Magnaflow CAT, Front/Rear Baer Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Front/Rear EBC Greenstuff Pads, Alpine CD/MP3/iPod Control Deck, RF 6.5 Power Series Separates

My V8 swap thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my-5-2-v8-swap-618350/
Zew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #18
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Hmm, whenever my electric fan comes on when im idle i always hear the RPM's of the engine changing slightly, and sometimes I get a incy wincy dimming of my lights for a split second... Im assuming its because the electric fan draws a considerable amount of Amps and the change in tone of my engine is the alternator working harder. My electrica fan motor is fairly new only about a year old.. The old one did the same thing

Other then this which im sure is normal i havent noticed anything odd.. I have no other 5.9 to compare to so i dunno. I get the same affect when I roll down or up my windows, and I heard from Rat monkey that this was normal because the window motors draw a lot of power
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #19
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

If its anything like the Taurus 2 speed fan then the amperage draw will be somewhere around this;

High speed start up current = 116A
High speed running current = 36A
Low speed start up current = 52A
Low speed running current = 12A

Have you checked to see if your low speed fan is even working? I know on mine when the low speed side stopped my temps would get up over 210 a bit then the high speed would kick in which causes more draw and would be more noticeable through the lights, especially when it jumps to the high speed only w/116amps start up current instead of switching from low to high
Unread 11-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #20
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

To me it seems like only your high speed is coming on. Unplug the upper rad hose sensor and jump the harness. Your fan shouldn't vibrate on high speed, if it does you might have bent fan blades or the bearing in the fan motor is toast.
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #21
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

Those numbers can't be even close to being right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachjf View Post
If its anything like the Taurus 2 speed fan then the amperage draw will be somewhere around this;

High speed start up current = 116A
High speed running current = 36A
Low speed start up current = 52A
Low speed running current = 12A

Have you checked to see if your low speed fan is even working? I know on mine when the low speed side stopped my temps would get up over 210 a bit then the high speed would kick in which causes more draw and would be more noticeable through the lights, especially when it jumps to the high speed only w/116amps start up current instead of switching from low to high
Unread 11-21-2012, 02:54 AM   #22
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreenZJ View Post
Those numbers can't be even close to being right.
Those are jaguarjoes numbers from the Taurus fan he tested over in the efan thread;

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/t...l#post12149513
Unread 11-21-2012, 07:01 AM   #23
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

The reason I said this is because Ford uses a 50 amp fuse for the fan on the 90's Taurus.

Quote:
Those are jaguarjoes numbers from the Taurus fan he tested over in the efan thread;

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/t...l#post12149513
Unread 11-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #24
Zew

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well... I ordered a 150 amp alternator and replacement fan motor from Kolak last night. He's the only one that is able to get the mopar 150 amp alternators according to him. None of the parts stores stock them. Hopefully I can return the 136 amp I bought... somehow I doubt it. It'll go on craigslist i'm sure. bah.

I looked at my fan blades last night and there's no cracks or chunks missing so i'm guessing the bearings are toast in the motor. Once I get it all apart and swap everything I'll update the thread with what I found.

If by some chance the upper temp sensor isn't working... Is that even available anymore? I thought I read somewhere that it's not.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited - Kolak Ignition upgrade, K&N CAI, DT Headers w 3" Kolak exhaust/Flowmaster 50/Magnaflow CAT, Front/Rear Baer Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Front/Rear EBC Greenstuff Pads, Alpine CD/MP3/iPod Control Deck, RF 6.5 Power Series Separates

My V8 swap thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=618350
Unread 11-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #25
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zew View Post
Well... I ordered a 150 amp alternator and replacement fan motor from Kolak last night. He's the only one that is able to get the mopar 150 amp alternators according to him. None of the parts stores stock them. Hopefully I can return the 136 amp I bought... somehow I doubt it. It'll go on craigslist i'm sure. bah.

I looked at my fan blades last night and there's no cracks or chunks missing so i'm guessing the bearings are toast in the motor. Once I get it all apart and swap everything I'll update the thread with what I found.

If by some chance the upper temp sensor isn't working... Is that even available anymore? I thought I read somewhere that it's not.
I returned my 136 amp I got from Oreilly's. You could have found a shop that rebuilds alternators. Would have probably been cheaper. I paid 100 bucks with core charge for a freshly rebuilt 150.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #26
Zew

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I returned my 136 amp I got from Oreilly's. You could have found a shop that rebuilds alternators. Would have probably been cheaper. I paid 100 bucks with core charge for a freshly rebuilt 150.
The mopar 150 amp was 107 from Kolak with a 50 core charge. I'm not too far off from what you paid. I couldn't wait to have it rebuilt because it's my daily driver and my TJ still needs to have the engine sitting on the stand installed into it... I can't have any downtime.

My V8 swap thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=618350
Unread 11-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #27
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
The reason I said this is because Ford uses a 50 amp fuse for the fan on the 90's Taurus.
When I swapped the Taurus fan into my TJ I used a 75a inline fuse to power both relays and never had an issue. The duration of the amp draw spike is so short that it doesn't have time to pop the fuse and then almost instantly drops to the 33a it takes for normal operation.
Unread 11-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #28
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

Automotive fuses are fast-blow fuses.

Quote:
When I swapped the Taurus fan into my TJ I used a 75a inline fuse to power both relays and never had an issue. The duration of the amp draw spike is so short that it doesn't have time to pop the fuse and then almost instantly drops to the 33a it takes for normal operation.
Unread 11-22-2012, 12:21 AM   #29
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Automotive fuses are fast-blow fuses.
My TJ ran with it for over a year on the 75a fuse I originally put in it so apparently not fast enough to catch the amp spike.
Unread 11-22-2012, 07:23 AM   #30
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

If the fan runs in a Taurus with a 50 amp fuse, it's safe to say that it will keep running with anything higher, like a 75 amp fuse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.