5.9 - Coolant Leak, upgrade parts! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.9 - Coolant Leak, upgrade parts!

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-08-2012, 04:24 AM   #16
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanJeep View Post
Regarding the MSD coil, it's actually pretty funny, the Jeep guys are the only people who seem to think this thing makes power.

Without trying to sound like a dick, there is no way in hell your lifted 5.9 gets 21 mpg highway at 75 mph. 15-16 at 60 mph maybe, but 21 mpg at 75 is not happening on a lifted SUV.

Back to the plugs, I have never heard of anyone recommending platinum plugs except for the people at the parts store. Copper is a much better conductor than platinum. The double platinums are simply a longevity feature, but many would suggest that double, triple, and quad tipped plugs are a marketing gimmick.
Who said the MSD coil gives more power ? I said the box does ...

My 5.9 isn't lifted . Welcome to hell , lol . That's a 95 Orvis in my avitar . I know , it's hard to tell the difference , ha ha . I can't get better than 14-15 with the 95 but happy with that considering the lift .

Champion dble platinums . They can market them however they like , they work good , and get the best mpg's from my jeep I've ever seen . They accually pay for themselves with the savings . Again , I wouldn't push something that I haven't proven works

newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #17
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
It isnt an o ring kit, its a replacement metal tube for the heater bypass. However its a short dodge version "ours are long" but the O ring is what you want on it.. The only way to get these "special" o rings is from that tube kit, or from a waterpump box or the felpro gasket kit. Your waterpump should have 1, and i bought 1 of those tube kits, took the o ring off and returned it for another one so i had 3 o rings lol. I tore one, the 2nd went on fine and i have a 3rd extra. The part number on autozone's website is 56399 , or just type in heater bypass tube and pick the 2nd one

The oil pan doesnt have to come off as i said. The timing cover is held on by 2 bolts through the oil pan. Take them off, take the timing cover off and the oil pan has a lip hanging open. Take a rag and cover the openeing so you dont get old gasket material or something in your oil.. When you reseal everything clean the old gasket of oil and dirt and put RTV over it so it wont leak when you put the timing cover back on.

Yes i replaced the front main seal on the timing cover for the crankshaft. No i didnt buy the sleeve kit for it. I forgotr what the sleeve thing is for but mine didnt need it. Just get the fel-pro gasket kit for the timing cover and water pump without the sleeve. Oh and that kit will have a o ring as well lol
I also had 2 o-rings, one in the water pump's gasket kit and the other in the timing cover gasket kit. All i did was clean the end of the heater bypass tube of all rust and debris, slip the o-ring on and slathered on the RTV and plugged it in, no fuss no problem. Of course i let everything sit overnight so it cured up nice and tight before i replaced the coolant and fired the engine up doing the initial leak check..... all was well.
Smokey1r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #18
ech0sh4y
2005 KJ Liberty 

Ordered the Hughes plenum kit tonight. I'll be taking off the intake tomorrow and seeing how bad it looks.

Also I was going to order my other parts (still working on it right now)...

As for the double roller timing set, I noticed the part number in the picture is an option (auto zone part) as well as an alternate part number. Looks to be two different sizes, P/N: 78103 shows that it's .250" diameter chain, while P/N: 78203 shows that it is .222" diameter chain. I did a quick search for the 78103 chain and this eBay listing show for LA blocks only, would this not work on Magnum blocks?

Also does anyone else recommend a timing chain tensioner? The guys at speedfreaks said that it is best to replace the thrust plate... didn't make sense, here is a link to one:
https://hughesengines.secure.nharmon...=&partid=11213

~ Brian
2005 KJ CRD
2008 JK
ech0sh4y is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #19
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

i wouldnt bother with the chain tensioner.. I just put a stock timing chain back on mine, no double roller just a normal chain... Considering my old chain after 120k miles didnt have much slack in it i didnt see the point.. The new chain should last another 100k +... But then i was also on a money constraint
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #20
ech0sh4y
2005 KJ Liberty 

So this is what I have on order thus far:
- Plenum kit from hughes
- Plenum plate
- Intake gasket
- TB gasket
- T-stat (not sure on brand)/seal
- New hardware
- Valve cover gaskets
- Timing Chain Gasket Set
- T.C. Gasket
- T.C. Seal
- Water pump gasket
- Harmonic Balancer
- Idler pulley

Still waiting to hear back about the double roller chain size then I'll order that. Other wise I think this should get me back together. Please keep in mind that I have replaced the plugs and cap/rotor so far. Thought about porting the kegger but I'm going to steer clear as it does not seem to net much. I will clean up the injector holes however.

I thought about putting a cam in at this time and some roller rockers and upgrading the 5.9.. But future projects. Just need to get it back on the road.

~ Brian
2005 KJ CRD
2008 JK
ech0sh4y is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2012, 06:20 AM   #21
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ech0sh4y View Post

Still waiting to hear back about the double roller chain size then I'll order that. Other wise I think this should get me back together. Please keep in mind that I have replaced the plugs and cap/rotor so far. Thought about porting the kegger but I'm going to steer clear as it does not seem to net much. I will clean up the injector holes however.
Did you find out about that chain ?

I contacted Cloyes . They did confirm mine would work but couldn't confirm it would fit under the cover , they didn't say it would not .

I used the same parts source (MOPAC) and it's the only one they list for a SBC . The LA block and magnum blocks are the same , heads are different .

I still have yet to get at the jeep to repair it , things just keep getting in the way . I also have to figure out the Dorman harmonic balancer removal puller set-up . I have to get it done very soon , I'll be leaving for work again in a few weeks .

Just thought I would update this thread and will again after the t-chain has been installed .
Unread 01-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #22
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

This part number says it only fits 1991 or older Dodge..

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
Timing Chain
Attachment 359517

StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 12:59 AM   #23
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
This part number says it only fits 1991 or older Dodge..

Installed , works just fine . Lots of LA block engine parts swap over to magnums

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.