5.9 advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.9 advice

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-03-2007, 09:38 PM   #1
98zjteen
1998 ZJ 

5.9 advice

It is a long story, but i met a couple with a 5.9 in a parking lot and asked them if it was for sale. They said it wasn't on the market, but it will be soon. I called back three days ago and test drove it. I drove it like I stole it and was impressed. It shifted smooth and ran great. It has almost 170,000 miles. I offered $4000 and they took it. Did I get a good deal? And when I get it (after selling my inline 6 ) what should I do first (performance wise) cold air? cat? By the way, it will be used off road.

98zjteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2007, 07:21 AM   #2
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

Don't get a cold air intake, that is lame. If you want to go new exhaust, the Kolak cat-back is by far the best. Kolak ignition up-grade and mopar perf. ecu are fine.

kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com is who you want to get a hold of. Nick (kolak) can get you what you want, either lift components or performance items for the 5.9L. He has his own 5.9L and knows what he is talking about. Prices and service are great.

HTH

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2007, 08:01 AM   #3
IronManVa
SandSurfer

If it is in good shape you got a deal!
www.jeeporvis.com ... www.jeepartist.com ... www.kmaoffroad.org Virginia Beach ... www.obxbreakers.comOff season Jeeper Deals
IronManVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2007, 08:23 AM   #4
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Add Edelbrock headers to what's done in this writeup. Will be a perfect fit.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=804146

and you'll see splendid power gains across the board. The 2.5" exhaust will maintain great lowend torque for your offroading pleasure.

Add the Mopar performance PCM if you can find one.

Then go with the Harland Sharp 1.7 rockers. After that, its get expensive.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2007, 08:27 AM   #5
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTimZJ
Don't get a cold air intake, that is lame. If you want to go new exhaust, the Kolak cat-back is by far the best. Kolak ignition up-grade and mopar perf. ecu are fine.

kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com is who you want to get a hold of. Nick (kolak) can get you what you want, either lift components or performance items for the 5.9L. He has his own 5.9L and knows what he is talking about. Prices and service are great.

HTH
Don't listen to Tim, pair a K&N FIPK or other intake with nice exuast. That is if you have money to spend on performance. Becucase a FIPK is not really a great bang for your buck when it comes to power. However if you can score one used, which you should be able to if you watch the forsale forums over at www.jeepsunlimited.com for awhile.

New they are like $279 but I paid $125 for a used one.

I have one and I am happy I do, it really improves the sound when paired with my FM40 muffler.
Unread 06-04-2007, 08:30 AM   #6
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

The FIPK only helps at WOT. You know that right?
Unread 06-04-2007, 08:35 AM   #7
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.nein
The FIPK only helps at WOT. You know that right?
And with stock gearing and 32's, I drive @ WOT all the time just to maintain speed
Unread 06-04-2007, 08:45 AM   #8
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep
And with stock gearing and 32's, I drive @ WOT all the time just to maintain speed
4.slow?
Unread 06-04-2007, 09:15 AM   #9
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

I have been upgrading every one of my vehicles and one the first things I do is an intake then exhaust and so forth. I have never (until letely on this forum) heard so much criticism about an intake. I would match my performance gains to any stocker out there and see if there isn't an improvement. Rule of thumb...more air in and more air (less restrictive) out equals more power. Usually means a loss in mpg's but if done right then you get an increase. I say this because now that I have finished off mine with a set of headers I now get over 20 on the hwy and 14-16 in the city to where I used to get 16-17 on the hwy and 11-13 in the city. Remarkable improvements if I may say so.
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2007, 09:22 AM   #10
mk07138
1997 ZJ 

There are other ways to improve your intake than paying tons of money for a FIPK or other name brand intake. Search the forum for some of the homemade versions.

I'm poor so I drilled holes in my stock airbox to improve flow (idea I got from searching the forum ) and got noticeable gains in MPG as well as acceleration (butt dyno ).
32" x 11.50" Kumho AT KL78's
mk07138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2007, 09:33 AM   #11
sand zj
1996 ZJ 

I noticed great gain w/ my Cold Air Intake, especially when I paired it with my free flowing exhaust. Can't say any MPG #'s but I noticed an increase in acceleration and better WOT power (which I use a lot).

Tim- Common now buddy....I may have spent money poorly but that is one engine upgrade I can vouch for. No you won't get 15 more ponnies like they claim but I see and increase in pwr.

'96 ZJ 7" LA, 318, 231, 8.8 (welded), d30 (LockRight), 4.10's, 33x13.5x16 TSL's, no interior...
sand zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2007, 09:51 AM   #12
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

Guys, I was referring to a true CAI where the intake is re-routed to the wheel-well or somewhere else (mostly lower) to draw in air. I was NOT referring to the K&N style FIPK that is still in the engine bay.

He said he was going to "wheel" therefore a true CAI = lame. Again I am NOT referring to a K&N style.

Newbies

Unread 06-04-2007, 10:03 AM   #13
sand zj
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTimZJ
Guys, I was referring to a true CAI where the intake is re-routed to the wheel-well or somewhere else (mostly lower) to draw in air. I was NOT referring to the K&N style FIPK that is still in the engine bay.

He said he was going to "wheel" therefore a true CAI = lame. Again I am NOT referring to a K&N style.

Newbies
Now common old timer, a K&N FIPK is considered cold air intake. Of course you could argue that the stock airbox is a cai seeing as it draws cold air from outside the eng bay. Hmmm, whos the newb?

'96 ZJ 7" LA, 318, 231, 8.8 (welded), d30 (LockRight), 4.10's, 33x13.5x16 TSL's, no interior...
Unread 06-04-2007, 10:19 AM   #14
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

We both know what we meant Sure we all call K&N style intakes CAI's, but they still have their intake under the hood. True CAI's have the intake mounted outside pulling in air. Granted, no one may install the latter, but with the influx of JU type threads around here... who can be sure!

Since the K&N style intake and the stock air box have their intakes in the same position under the hood, don't you think the gains that you saw are coming from the better air flow design and not the "colder" temperatures?

Unread 06-04-2007, 10:21 AM   #15
sand zj
1996 ZJ 

Tim, Tim, Tim... I have no idea and don't care. I just like giving you a hard time

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.