5.9 1/4 mile times & mods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.9 1/4 mile times & mods

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 08-22-2002, 12:33 PM   #1
PKDJ99

5.9 1/4 mile times & mods

Does anybody know what a stock 5.9 quadratrack runs in the quarter? Also what are the best mods for the 5.9? One last question: does anybody know what the production numbers for the 5.9s are limited vs. 5.9tsi & are there and differences in the drivetrains between the 5.9lmtd's & tsi ? Thanks

Kane 98 Platinum 5.9 Limited

PKDJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2002, 08:06 PM   #2
94gclimited

I think they run low 15's stock maybe 14.9's on a cool, low humidity day. As far as mods don't mess with a chip for these. Jeep already advanced the timing enough on these things that they have to run on premium and the most a chip does is mess with the timing. The only other thing they do for power is play with the air/fuel ratio. Get a FIPK, cat bak, headers, rip a throttle body offf a V10 Ram if it can fit and if its bigger than stock and put it in a 5.9, high flow cat and you'll be running mid 14's and maybe a 14.3 or so on a cool day. These things are very quick for what they are and will show their taillights to alot of 5.0 stangs with just bolt ons, especially off the line and up to around 70.
Jason
94gclimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2002, 06:20 PM   #3
FutureZJOwner

Does that mean that they and the 5.2's dont have serious punch over 70?

Sean
FutureZJOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2002, 01:11 PM   #4
94gclimited

No that doesn't necesssrily mean they don't have serious punch over 75. These are 4x4 SUV's and aerodynamics are NOT on their side when up to speed. Plus they are geared lower for pulling power. 2nd gear in mine is good for just over 70 whereas 2nd in say a Stang of similar acceleration is probably good till 80 or little bit past that. My 5.2 has decent punch past 75 and on to around 100. I know for sure it will run at least dead even if not beat a stock auto 96-98 4.6 Mustang GT (especially the convertibles) in a 1/4 mile, however the Stang would probably have the edge past 85 or so.
Jason
Unread 09-08-2002, 07:46 PM   #5
FutureZJOwner

That's cool

Thanks for the reply, Jason. How many miles does your Jeep have? And you say it has good punch from 75 to around 100? We have a '98 Laredo SE with a 4.0, and it does well, but I'd DEFINATELY want a V-8 variant.

Thanks!

Sean
FutureZJOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2002, 10:13 PM   #6
94gclimited

My Jeep has 122k on it. One of the previous owners rarely changed the oil on it as it had some oil pressure issues before I flushed the engine out twice. Before I did the pressure dropped and i didn't realize it until it was ticking like sick choo choo train a couple of times. I don't think it hurt it real bad, but time will tell I suppose. It now runs around 60psi with 20w50 oil when warmed up and thats according to a new oil sending unit. I did race my friend's 78 Trans Am with the pontiac 400 (stock 180hp) with edelbrock carb jetted over to 630cfm, matching intake, functional shaker hood with K@N xtreme filter and beat him by 2 - 2.5 car lengths to 85. That was before the Gibson exhaust and before the engine flush treatment.
Jason
Unread 09-21-2002, 04:53 PM   #7
ALS59LTD
2003 TJ Wrangler 

has anyone found a catback for the 5.9 limited? I don't think it would be the same as the other v8's. would a durango kit fit?
ALS59LTD is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.