5.2L will crank but won't start97 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.2L will crank but won't start97

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 09-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
Dukota
1997 ZJ 

5.2L will crank but won't start97

97 Grand Cherokee died last night just as my son was pulling away from his friends house then wouldn't start. It will crank but that's it. Just prior to that it had been leaking some coolant from a leak in the radiator but appeared to have no other problems. Wasn't even overheating, was within the normal operating temp, according to him.

I guess my first mistake was letting my 19yo son drive MY Jeep. Transmission is out in his Oldsmobile Bravada though so he needed something to get to and from school.

I hooked up an OBD scanner but it will not connect so I don't know what sort of issues it may have.

Any thoughts on either the code scanner issue or the no starting issue? Haven't had an opportunity to check anything else out other than that there is fuel in the fuel rail.

Unread 09-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
JeepOrvis97
1997 ZJ 

First off, you can pull the codes by cycling the key(without starting) on-off-on-off-on and it should show the codes in the odometer, then we'll go from there.
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

Does it have spark? Fuel? Air? Compression? Check and report.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
Dukota
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHobbit View Post
Does it have spark? Fuel? Air? Compression? Check and report.
I am off today so I am going to check all of those things right now. Just woke up, I've worked 134 hours in the last two weeks and needed to catch up on some sleep.
Unread 09-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
Dukota
1997 ZJ 

One thing I've noticed is none of the instruments will move when I turn the key on. Shouldn't the guages, fuel, oil pressure, volt come on when the key is turned on? I've checked the cluster fuse and it's ok.
Unread 09-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
Dukota
1997 ZJ 

Fixed it. It was a fricken 20 cent, 20 amp fuse that handles the body control module.
Unread 09-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
Dukota
1997 ZJ 

ok, didn't fix it. Fricken 20 cent, 20 amp fuse keeps on blowing. Haven't made any changes to the Jeep but this just popped up all of the sudden. Any ideas?
Unread 09-11-2009, 06:07 AM   #8
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

Gotta be a short somewhere, follow the wire and check. It's possible it rubbed until the insulation wore off. If you find the end of the wire and no bare spots, do a continuity check with ground.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 12:05 AM   #9
Dukota
1997 ZJ 

I would not even begin to know WHAT wivre to follow since it is the fuse block in the engine compartment
Unread 09-15-2009, 06:23 AM   #10
impuresoul2k3
1993 ZJ 

A factory service manual is a godsend for following wiring. I recently installed a remote start/keyless entry system, and the FSM made it much easier.
Modified Throttle body
Flowmaster muffler
impuresoul2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 10:47 PM   #11
Dukota
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHobbit View Post
Gotta be a short somewhere, follow the wire and check. It's possible it rubbed until the insulation wore off. If you find the end of the wire and no bare spots, do a continuity check with ground.
Finally got a check engine light. Hooked up my code reader and got a code for and o2 sensor so I crawled under the Jeep and found the wires going to the sensor had dropped down onto the driveshaft and worn one wire thru and the stripped part of the plastic off of two others. A little snip, crimp and zip tie out of the way, reset the code and all is good. This one repair paid for the code reader I bought.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.