5.2L Positive Battery Cables - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.2L Positive Battery Cables

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
eva89

5.2L Positive Battery Cables

I'm in the middle of doing some work on my Dad's 95 Grand Cherokee Laredo with 5.2L V8 engine. The positive battery cables are falling apart and completely corroded with green mold, and need to get replaced because they are causing the truck to occasionally not start.

Does anyone know where I can source OEM battery cables? I'm lazy and would prefer not to build them myself, I would rather have something I could just bolt on. I tried all the usual websites and parts stores I use, but no one seems to have this cable available. My local dealer is not open until Monday, so I'm not sure if they are still available through Chrysler, but I will try that on Monday.

If anyone has replaced these cables and could offer some advice on where to find them, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

eva89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Here is the assembly
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
sebian
1995 ZJ 

I got mine from Kolak for far less than that. send him a pm on the boards, tell him yr, make, engine and he can get you a quote.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
eva89

Thanks guys. Wow, $200 is kind of more than I was hoping to spend. I will PM Kolak. Thanks!
Unread 01-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
rcMikeS1990
1994 ZJ 

Its the cables that need replaced and not just the terminals? If its the terminals its really cheap and pretty much any will do
Unread 01-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #6
sebian
1995 ZJ 

Btw, its not mold. Its corroded copper. As a temp fix I was able to trim a little bit of the wires back to non-corroded copper and put new terminals on it. After a couple months the wire started fraying and corroding again. Thats when I decided to get the new harness. The harness itself goes from battery to alt, pdc, chassis ground, and starter. Took me about an hour to install it.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
rcMikeS1990
1994 ZJ 

Why not just clean the corrosion off instead of replacing?
Unread 01-27-2013, 01:45 AM   #8
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcMikeS1990 View Post
Why not just clean the corrosion off instead of replacing?
Because, unless you catch it quickly, the corrosion becomes intrusive and you won't be able to get all of it.

If you don't get all of it, it will continue.
Unread 01-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

5-90 is right, the corrosion can occur within the spiral wrapped strands of the cable and is impossible to get out without taking the jacket off and untwisting the cable, which is impractical. It can be corroded underneath the jacket and you won't know it by looking at it.

The the fit and crimp style terminal is more reliable
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
rcMikeS1990
1994 ZJ 

Makes alot of sense, I guess I've always caught it before it got that far
Unread 01-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
eva89

The corrosion has spread too far. My dad has already cut the cable back several times and put new terminals on. Now the cables are shorter than they should be, and the corrosion goes all the way through the cable, not just at the end near the terminal. They definitely need to be replaced.
Unread 01-29-2013, 03:31 AM   #12
coralman
new wrangler prototype

1998 ZJ 

Even the new mopar cable will have a gap area of sorts between the insulation and the lead terminal. Get some liquid electrical tape and paint that area generously and it will slow that happening to your new cable.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:01 AM   #13
a70eliminator

A little input while we're on the subject of battery cables for the 5.2 from my experience.
I pulled the dipstick one day to check my oil and it came into contact with the pos. terminal and obliverated my dipstick, it was something that I will never forget, I'm scarred for life.
My pos. is now wrappedin a nice big rubber boot, take notice it's right there in very close proxie to the dipstick as you pull it out, I don't think I have the wrong battery orientation?
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #14
txbass06
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a70eliminator
I don't think I have the wrong battery orientation?
Not unless I do to lol. Positive post closer to the engine
txbass06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
5.2 , battery , cable

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.