5.2l Grand Cherokee Engine Rebuild - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.2l Grand Cherokee Engine Rebuild

Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #31
bmlarson12
1997 ZJ 

Should the engine computer learn this new camshaft over time? It really doesn't feel like there is more power at this point. I know I have noticed an improvement over the first few minutes of driving, but I am not sure how much the engine computer will adjust. Is there a slightly less expensive way to tune it than buying a tuner?

bmlarson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #32
bmlarson12
1997 ZJ 

I messed with a few sensors in the throttle body and it is a little better.
Unread 07-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #33
bmlarson12
1997 ZJ 

There are a few things that I hadn't mentioned about the rebuild.
1. The pistons were reused because when they were measured with a micrometer, there was no wear at all.
2. Crankshaft had no wear at all.
3. The heads were not cracked, but the valves were not seating very well, so that was fixed.
4. There was no plenum leak, so the plenum cover was reused with a new gasket.
5. There was a misunderstanding about getting the lifters, so the old ones were reused. (we were running out of time to finish and didn't want to spend $480 on new lifters from a dealer)

The crosshatch pattern in the cylinders could easily be seen still, so it was just deglazed for new piston rings. I still want to find some way of modifying the engine computer that is not so expensive, but it is running well for now.
Unread 08-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #34
titus95
1998 ZJ 

Up to this point could you say what the total cost of the rebuild has been? Looking to do mine in the future, appreciate the info.
2004 TJ Wrangler X "Columbia Edition"
1989 YJ SOA Lift on 33's (Sold)
titus95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #35
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Why didnt you just buy a complete master rebuild kit? 529$ free shipping. comes with everything cam lifters pistons everything. heres a list...
FULL GASKET SET
Notes: W/ Valve Stem Seals & Rear Main Seal

(8)FLAT-TOP PISTONS
Sizes Available: STD, .020, 030, .040, .060

Notes: Flat Top Pistons w/ 1.741" CH.

PREMIUM PISTON RINGS
Sizes Available: STD, .020, 030, .040, .060

Notes: 5/64", 5/64", 3/16"

MAIN BEARINGS
Sizes Available: STD, .010, .020, .030

ROD BEARINGS
Sizes Available: STD, .010, .020, .030

CAMSHAFT BEARINGS
3-PC TIMING SET
OIL PUMP
FREEZE PLUGS
ROLLER CAMSHAFT
(16)ROLLER LIFTERS

Im sure theres more that was just the first one I found.
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #36
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Its pretty cheap to rebuild a motor. Most people think its too complicated but its really not that bad. Now transmissions.......
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #37
edpmedic
1995 ZJ 

I agree about the kit that's usually the way j go. In my years of doing engines if I am using a new cam I do lifters. Old lifters can fail and wear a new camshaft. They were worn in on the old cam and cause the bottoms to wear in a different pattern and wear faster. They can also cause premature cam lobe wear.Depending on how aggressive you are with the lift and duration. I see no problem using the old pistons if they were in specs and not causing your knock problem.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Feel the Sunshine on your face
edpmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #38
edpmedic
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinyj95 View Post
Its pretty cheap to rebuild a motor. Most people think its too complicated but its really not that bad. Now transmissions.......
To me transmissions are easier. Less measuring and machine work. You get a master rebuild kit and its is just seals, clutch packs, and thrust washers. Just remember where it all goes and you can rebuild most Trans in 45 min. Including air check and valve body.

I'm not trying to be wise but if you do it a couple of times you realize they are almost all the same. Actually I find Chrysler Trans the easiest out of all of them. When I worked for GM I would try to get Trans jobs. When I worked for Fiat 124 Spyders head gaskets and timing belts were my bread and butter.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Feel the Sunshine on your face
edpmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #39
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpmedic
I agree about the kit that's usually the way j go. In my years of doing engines if I am using a new cam I do lifters. Old lifters can fail and wear a new camshaft. They were worn in on the old cam and cause the bottoms to wear in a different pattern and wear faster. They can also cause premature cam lobe wear.Depending on how aggressive you are with the lift and duration. I see no problem using the old pistons if they were in specs and not causing your knock problem.
Yeah new lifters and what did you do for springs?

Tags
5.2l , engine rebuild , magnum , performance

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.