5.2l Grand Cherokee Engine Rebuild - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.2l Grand Cherokee Engine Rebuild

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 06-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #16
edpmedic
1995 ZJ 

Sorry I should have subscribed and crawled this thread. I would have said it isn't easy pulling the engine and Trans with a transfer case has one unit. I do suggest you be careful with the radiator. Now I thought you were rrbuilding it for a performance upgrade. Did you locate what cylinder was knocking. Or if it was a rod, or wrist pin, crank bearing before you took it apart.. Did you preform at least a compression test wet and dry, have vacuum readings or oil pressure reading?

To tear into a engine before at least determining a location of the knock or the condition of the engine is not a good way to go about this. If it was a very noticeable knock then maybe you will be lucky and see excessive wear or damage. At this point pull the heads. Check the ridge at each cylinder bore and look at the cylinders, before you pull the main or rod bearings. Has you rotate the crank you might feel a problem and determine what it can be. Them check crank end play before you loosen anything.
Put
Then I remove the ridge from the cylinders. After that I would plastigage each rod bearing and then main bearings.Write info down and check each one has I take it apart. Is there play to the connecting rod while attached to the crank? That could be your rod knock. I usually do the connecting rods first. At the same time pull them With the piston out of the cylinder. I then see if the crank turns free without the pistons attached. Check end play on the crank again. Then I plastigage the main bearings and check them. I also look at the pistons and rings for wear on the skirt and the condition of the rings.

From what I have read you already pulled the caps and are looking at the bearings. You see copper showing. Are we talking about the rod or main bearings? Is the wear in the center, sides, or half the bearing. Are there any lines or grooves in the bearings. By the way you have taken the oil pump off. You sure it was not a valve or lifter problem, but that would be tapping and not a knock.

Hope this helps and just take it slow write down measurements and if you need take pictures before you take it apart. Mark stuff that goes together and work clean. Of all things Safety first

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Feel the Sunshine on your face
edpmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #17
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Main bearings
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #18
edpmedic
1995 ZJ 

Main bearings.are crankshaft bearings
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Feel the Sunshine on your face
edpmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
bmlarson12
1997 ZJ 

I will try to check the clearances in the bearings soon.

Last edited by bmlarson12; 06-30-2012 at 11:21 AM..
bmlarson12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #20
bmlarson12
1997 ZJ 

It looks like it was probably a rod bearing or a carbon knock. I plan to do some little upgrades over time, but for now I want to get a good camshaft that will work now, and in the future with other upgrades. I am looking at two different ones. One is a good bit bigger, and will work well at low end, along with the higher end (HER0814AL). The other one is the Hughes Engines towing cam (HER9204AL). I know that I would also have to adjust the engine computer some for the larger one to work, but it does have a better range of rpm.
Unread 07-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #21
bmlarson12
1997 ZJ 

I guess I am going with the HER0814AL because of the better rpm range it will work with.
Unread 07-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #22
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Well, any pics yet? How's the progress going?

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #23
bmlarson12
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
Well, any pics yet? How's the progress going?

Hunter
So almost everything is together. We finished with the engine yesterday and put it into the Jeep today.
Unread 07-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #24
bmlarson12
1997 ZJ 

Here are some pictures of the changes that I made.
07102012141.jpg   07102012138.jpg   06262012102.jpg  
Unread 07-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #25
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Looking great.

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #26
bmlarson12
1997 ZJ 

Everything is finished up now and I was able to drive it back home. There were some timing problems that I couldn't fix so we had a mechanic fix that. He also reset all of the old computer information with the old camshaft so it will be able to relearn the new cam. After a day it did have a small new problem. I believe the oil pressure sensor is going out. it is dropping to zero at idle but at about 1000 rpm it goes straight back to normal. It never made any sound at idle to indicate a problem, so I assume it is alright. Do these sensors tend to have problems after a while? I have seen several people having similar problems and I think they were normally just sensor problems.
Unread 07-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #27
Canyon411
1995 ZJ 

Silly question but I assume you replaced the factory oil pump with a new high volume unit? It would be hell for a new engine rebuild to internally destruct from lack of oil pressure from an old pump.
Canyon411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #28
bmlarson12
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon411 View Post
Silly question but I assume you replaced the factory oil pump with a new high volume unit? It would be hell for a new engine rebuild to internally destruct from lack of oil pressure from an old pump.
Yes I did use a new high volume oil pump.
Unread 07-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #29
bmlarson12
1997 ZJ 

What controls the oil light? I am just not sure if it is the same thing that controls the oil pressure gauge.
Unread 07-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #30
ZJ1995
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclark25 View Post
i would cam it and if you have the money, find some headers to put on it.

higher performing heads would also be nice, but i don't know of any.
performance heads are sold by edlebrock, along with cam and whole top end rebuild.
ZJ1995 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
5.2l , engine rebuild , magnum , performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.