5.2l Grand Cherokee Engine Rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.2l Grand Cherokee Engine Rebuild

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 06-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
bmlarson12
1997 ZJ 

5.2l Grand Cherokee Engine Rebuild

I am currently rebuilding my Jeep's engine and would like to know if anybody has any advice on what can make it easier. Right now I am trying to get everything off of it to take the engine out, so I would like to have some advice with what could make that easier.

Later I would like to modify things in it a bit so I would like to know if there are any suggestions for ways to increase performance.

bmlarson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
bmlarson12
1997 ZJ 

I have a lot of stuff off, but I don't know what to do about the ac.
Unread 06-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

A turbo or supercharger will increase performance.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
edpmedic
1995 ZJ 

You could take the AC compressor off the brackets and leave it hooked up. Just move it out of the way has you remove the engine from the car. Same thing with the power steering pump. You remove it from the bracket through the holes in the front pulley. Three long bolts hold it in place from the front
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Feel the Sunshine on your face
edpmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
bmlarson12
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpmedic View Post
You could take the AC compressor off the brackets and leave it hooked up. Just move it out of the way has you remove the engine from the car. Same thing with the power steering pump. You remove it from the bracket through the holes in the front pulley. Three long bolts hold it in place from the front
thanks, I was thinking of that, but it is good to know for sure that could work.
Unread 06-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
bmlarson12
1997 ZJ 

Do I need to take the exhaust manifolds off to pull it out or not? Which would be easier?
Unread 06-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
bmlarson12
1997 ZJ 

I can't figure out how the transmission connects to the engine. It's at the top of the transmission, right?
Unread 06-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Yes the exhaust has to come off. Use a towel on the fender to lay the a/c on so you dont scratch the hell out of the car. The engine comes slightly forward then out. Dont just pull on it. you may have to tip the motor to get the top bolts out. dont bend your dust cover. Its funny to watch people start there car and think they have ruined there engine. But Ive been there.
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Sounds like you need a factory service manual.

Thankfully, I have never had to pull an engine from a ZJ but when removing engines I normally pull both the engine and transmission as a unit.

P.S. When you disassemble the engine you will almost certainly discover that the heads are cracked. I would recommend going with a remanufactured engine from a supplier such as Jasper. Much easier.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
bmlarson12
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinyj95 View Post
Yes the exhaust has to come off. Use a towel on the fender to lay the a/c on so you dont scratch the hell out of the car. The engine comes slightly forward then out. Dont just pull on it. you may have to tip the motor to get the top bolts out. dont bend your dust cover. Its funny to watch people start there car and think they have ruined there engine. But Ive been there.
Thanks, where and how do you think I should attach the engine block lift? and which one is the dust cover?

Last edited by bmlarson12; 06-27-2012 at 07:49 PM..
Unread 06-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #11
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I found it much easier to use a cherry picker and a floor jack. Use the cherry picker to hook up to the engine and pull the motor mount bolts. Then, carefully, using the floor jack to assist, drop the engine back down through the mounts to gain faster and easier access to the top of the transmission, the distributor cap and other electronics.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #12
mrclark25
1994 ZJ 

i would cam it and if you have the money, find some headers to put on it.

higher performing heads would also be nice, but i don't know of any.
mrclark25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #13
bmlarson12
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I found it much easier to use a cherry picker and a floor jack. Use the cherry picker to hook up to the engine and pull the motor mount bolts. Then, carefully, using the floor jack to assist, drop the engine back down through the mounts to gain faster and easier access to the top of the transmission, the distributor cap and other electronics.

Hunter
Ok, I will try that to get the transmission and engine block apart. I think I have all of the electronics out of the back now that the intake manifold is off.
Unread 06-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
bmlarson12
1997 ZJ 

So the engine is out, how much wear on the bearings would indicate that it was a problem? Some of the rod bearings have some copper exposed. Would that be able to cause a knock?
Unread 06-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #15
bmlarson12
1997 ZJ 

What all could cause a deep knocking sound in the engine?

Tags
5.2l , engine rebuild , magnum , performance

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.