5.2L Advanced Engine Maintenance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.2L Advanced Engine Maintenance

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 04-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
amonostereo
1993 ZJ 

5.2L Advanced Engine Maintenance

School me on advanced engine maintenance for the 5.2L V8:

Start here: the valve covers have probably never been taken off, and I want to know what to replace and check when I do.

Not basic stuff like changing the oil... More stuff geared toward 'what to do to a 18 year old engine that has only ever had the oil changed'.

I want to go through the engine and do stuff like cleaning the valves but I don't know how to do that or what else to do while I am there.

I searched and couldn't find much, but if there is a writeup out there for this kind of stuff, please direct my attention to it! If you think that the Jeep community is in need of a writeup for something on this line of thought, let me know so I can do it (or try....)

Thanks guys!

'93 5.2L V8, Laredo, 242 TC swapped from a 249, 3" Coils up front and Front coils in the Rear, JKS Adjustable Track bar, K&N Cold Air Intake with Amsoil filter, Rear cargo area shelving, and KOR's Steering Gear Brace, IRO's Over-The-Knuckle Steering, Top Light Rail, Top Tire Carrier... for now...
OR If you prefer acronyms: 93 5.2 V8, 249>242, 3" FC, ~2" RC, JKS Adj. TB w/ KOR TB Bracket, K&N CIA w/ Amsoil filter, Shelves, KOR SB, IRO OTK HD steering
amonostereo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
amonostereo
1993 ZJ 

How about somebody starts off with a simple, "How to properly clean your valves" or something....
'93 5.2L V8, Laredo, 242 TC swapped from a 249, 3" Coils up front and Front coils in the Rear, JKS Adjustable Track bar, K&N Cold Air Intake with Amsoil filter, Rear cargo area shelving, and KOR's Steering Gear Brace, IRO's Over-The-Knuckle Steering, Top Light Rail, Top Tire Carrier... for now...
OR If you prefer acronyms: 93 5.2 V8, 249>242, 3" FC, ~2" RC, JKS Adj. TB w/ KOR TB Bracket, K&N CIA w/ Amsoil filter, Shelves, KOR SB, IRO OTK HD steering
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
kwellzz
1998 ZJ 

Are you looking to take the heads off? Valves out? Replace springs?

Could pull the pan and do new bearings.
Many will run ATF fluid in the motor to clean sludge.

Replace trans filters.

Basically if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

Motorcycle Repair in Denverhttp://www.wellsmoto.com
kwellzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
amonostereo
1993 ZJ 

I am just looking for stuff to do when I have the valve covers off. I agree with the if it ain't broke philosophy. i am mainly looking to replace some of the stuff that can wear out while I am in there anyway.
Maybe think of it this way: if you were to go through an old (but running) engine, what would you replace or clean.
Also, I want to keep the motor in the Jeep.
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

none of the things you're thinking you can do will happen with just the valve covers off.

"advanced" maintenance would be tearing it down completely.

if you have a leak, fix it. other than that don't go digging around unless you've got 500$ or more and a couple weeks of your time to spare.(if you have the skills)

best thing you can do is check for a plenum pan leak, check your compression, do your proper tune up with plugs, cap, rotor, wires, filters, coil, fluids. clean your tb and iac. and make sure your ccv/pcv and egr aren't all fouled out.

cleaning valves requires removing the heads.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #6
kwellzz
1998 ZJ 

Truthfully not alot to do to a running motor. Maybe run some detergent(atf) in the oil. Maybe injector cleaner. Mostly the normal maintenance stuff is all I found necessary.

Unread 04-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
amonostereo
1993 ZJ 

Thanks for the input so far!
So cleaning valves requires removing the heads. Is it possible to remove the heads with the engine in? I am no longer considering this, I just want to know if it is possible.

I have done pretty much everything on that list. Is there anything else I should consider?
Unread 04-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Yes the heads can be pulled with motor in vehicle. Don't even pull the valve covers if you don't have to. If there's no noise, leaks and the oil pressure is ok, you're good to go.
HighLonesome is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2010, 11:34 PM   #9
kwellzz
1998 ZJ 

Do yourself a favor and don't use cheapo Fram oil filters or K&N air filters. Prevention is a great way to keep your motor running.

Unread 04-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #10
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

My Nissan 2.4 I4 has 215,000 miles with Fram filters and still runs strong.
Unread 04-03-2010, 12:03 AM   #11
kwellzz
1998 ZJ 

Last I checked the Nissan 2.4 I4 wasn't put in an offroad vehicle.

Unread 04-03-2010, 12:14 AM   #12
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwellzz View Post
Last I checked the Nissan 2.4 I4 wasn't put in an offroad vehicle.
You'd be surprised where I've taken that 2wd pickup.

You've lost a motor due to a Fram filter?
Unread 04-03-2010, 12:19 AM   #13
kwellzz
1998 ZJ 

Hard to simply blame a filter. The op is interested in 'things' to do and seems to want some peace of mind. A better quality filtration system is not exactly steering him in the wrong direction.
Personally I have lost 2 motors. Both ran Fram oil filters but I'm not blaming Fram either. Not exactly an easily proven cause and effect.

Unread 04-03-2010, 12:28 AM   #14
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwellzz View Post
Hard to simply blame a filter. The op is interested in 'things' to do and seems to want some peace of mind. A better quality filtration system is not exactly steering him in the wrong direction.
Personally I have lost 2 motors. Both ran Fram oil filters but I'm not blaming Fram either. Not exactly an easily proven cause and effect.
Point well taken. I ran the cheap Fram filters because I didn't know any better. Now I run the more expensive Fram only because they have the grip surface for easy removal.

I love my Jeeps but you could probably run mud in a Nissan motor and get 100,000 mile out of it. The difference in quality build between my '94 Nissan hardbody truck and my '94 Limited ZJ is staggering. But which one do I love more and drive everyday?

Tags
5.2l , engine , maintenance , rebuild

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.