5.2l - 5.9l differences and more - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.2l - 5.9l differences and more

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-05-2006, 06:34 PM   #1
Wookie06
1996 ZJ 

5.2l - 5.9l differences and more

I've been told in the past that the 5.9 is basically a 5.2 with different heads. Does anyone know if that is the case? I'm not the smartest guy when it comes to Chrysler engines. I'm interested because I am starting to think forward to what I will do when my 5.2l engine fails. I really don't expect it to but with over 160,000 miles I want to have a plan in place so that I don't end up with more down time than necessary.

Also, what bolt on (non-turbo/supercharged) options are a must for this engine. Obviously a better breathing airbox but what about manifold or throttle body changes? Headers? Exhaust? I'm looking forward to turning some wrenches on this thing when I get home from Iraq so I'm basically looking for ideas right now. I'm also interested in computer changes. I remember doing some research a couple years ago and options for programming the factory computer seemed limited. Is that the case?

Wookie06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2006, 06:51 PM   #2
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookie06
I've been told in the past that the 5.9 is basically a 5.2 with different heads. Does anyone know if that is the case? I'm not the smartest guy when it comes to Chrysler engines. I'm interested because I am starting to think forward to what I will do when my 5.2l engine fails. I really don't expect it to but with over 160,000 miles I want to have a plan in place so that I don't end up with more down time than necessary.

Also, what bolt on (non-turbo/supercharged) options are a must for this engine. Obviously a better breathing airbox but what about manifold or throttle body changes? Headers? Exhaust? I'm looking forward to turning some wrenches on this thing when I get home from Iraq so I'm basically looking for ideas right now. I'm also interested in computer changes. I remember doing some research a couple years ago and options for programming the factory computer seemed limited. Is that the case?
I'd just drop another 5.2 in there. Won't have to mess with the transmission, PCM etc.
But if you are serious and have some time on your hands we have a few folks here who've done it.

http://www.nagca.com/grandtech/52and59comparison.htm
zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2006, 09:01 AM   #3
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

The 5.9 has more stroke and a little more bore than the 5.2, thus superior torque throughout the powerband. I just dropped a 5.9 long block into my 94. Everything fit from the old 5.2 except the driver's motor mount, flexplate, and harmonic balancer. Even the stock PCM will run the motor, but won't get the most out of it. Best mod ever.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.