5.2 ZJ got too hot, what to expect? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-19-2017, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Kade97
1997 ZJ 

5.2 ZJ got too hot, what to expect?

I just tried to post a better explanation of the issue, but since I have to type this again I will make it short and sweet.

power steering pulley came off along with the belt which caused the temp gauge to get to half way between 210 and RED/HOT before I could park it. The mirrors randomly reset before I could get the car turned off.

After getting a pump, pulley, and hose installed, are there any issues I should be aware of due to possible overheat?

I probably wont have it back on the road till Wednesday but I want to know if there are any possible problems I should expect.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-19-2017, 01:38 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

IMO, halfway isn't overheating. I've taken my engine up to the 260 mark a few times when I forgot to plug the efan back in, no real issues once it was cooled down.

As long as you didn't do something silly like immediately throw cold coolant in it you should be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-19-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Kade97
1997 ZJ 

Good to know, Thanks man

post #4 of 7 Old 06-20-2017, 04:44 AM
dflewelling
1995 ZJ 

You'll be fine. These magnum motors are tough as nails. I once had one go red on me, no I'll effect after the root cause was fixed. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 Old 06-20-2017, 05:24 PM
Luke4010
1997 ZJ 

I blew my radiator out about a year ago and limped the jeep home. I would wait till it got to the 3/4 mark on the gauge and shut it off and let it cool down. Did that about 4 times before I got home and she's still running strong today. You shouldn't have anything to worry about.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-20-2017, 11:13 PM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

I've had the plastic tank style radiator leak shortly after running hot. And a heater core leak after running hot as well.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-30-2017, 02:46 PM
LouC
2007 WK 

3/4 the way from 210 to the red is probably about 240 or so, I don't think that's enough to hurt anything.
Just to be on the safe side make sure there is no coolant in the oil (head gaskets). Blown HGs are the most common result of overheating, but on a cast iron engine like the Magnum V8 this is less likely than on the newer engines with iron blocks and aluminum heads.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.