5.2 supercharger kit? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.2 supercharger kit?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-29-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
93_zj

5.2 supercharger kit?

ok,i'm probably going to get flamed for posting this,i did try the search function first it kept coming up with things that had absolutely nothing to do with what i'm looking for,anyways, i just bought a 95 grand cherokee v8 laredo,obviously it has the 5.2 or 318.my question is do any companies still offer a supercharger kit for my grand cherokee?

93_zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
Dillonzj
1998 ZJ 

why would you get flamed for this? it has nothing to do with 22" rims

but yeah I am pretty sure there is a company out there that still make them.. not sure what the web sites called.. I know there really expensive. nasmd454 knows a lot about the performance mods for the 5.2s he has an amazing ZJ.. maybe try sending him a PM or maybe he well post here..

Good luck
Dillon

Crane Cam shaft and Crane, Roller Rockers, bored .030 over, edelbrock performer heads, M1 Intake manifold, Fasstman throttle body, magnacore wires, platinum plugs, K&N FIPK, dough thorley headers,3" high flow cat, 3" magnaflow mandrel bent exhaust, SCT tuned

***future mods -5.5 IRO LA - KOR sliders -KOR roof rack -

SOLD-
95' JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED
188k 5.2L v8 White 98 ZJ rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashmd454 View Post
...we all know they empty our pockets...yet they fill our hearts...

MY BUILD THREAD
Dillonzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
Shelbyzz
1997 ZJ 

I don't know - for the $6,000(parts)+$2500(install) to put a supercharger in, then all the other engine upgrades you would need, you could almost get a whole new better engine - I just googled a 454 turnkey crate is going for $10,700?, then after you get the super charger in and running you are going to break some other engine parts, just a stock 5.2L would probably not hold up a supercharger without a ton of engine upgrades, and what do you think about tuning an aftermarket supercharger - no thanks!
Shelbyzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2008, 07:06 AM   #4
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

I think KRC is about the only place you can get an SC kit for a ZJ. This link will help.

http://www.krcperformance.com/krc/in...mart&Itemid=26
Unread 08-30-2008, 07:37 AM   #5
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Adding the supercharger to a well-built 408 stroker will you into the 500+ hp range with Cummins-like torque. There is a writeup on one of the Dakota forums. The guy dynoed around 550hp/550lbs on pump gas. I think he carbed it, can't remember for sure. You'd need at least OBD2 to even consider. Wonder how long the 44RE would last?
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2008, 08:15 AM   #6
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

A couple of years back, okay greater than 10, Don-a-Vee and Overlander sold an Interstate version of the ZJ which was a superchargered 5.2.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2008, 11:02 AM   #7
Aceladriver

for my 2 cents - it doesn't really need to be OBDII but a lot of that really depends on your state emissions.

Assuming you don't have to worry about inspections you can run it through a piggyback or standalone system. You could even go with a carb but they have to be specially built to work with SCs and are expensive.

Here in MA OBDI emissions is supposed to be going away in October. That pretty much means no holds barred although I have heard differing opinions as to whether that means no visual inspection and no emissions inspection at all, or if it just means not having to pass the sniffer test.

For a simpler performance enhancment you could throw in a 5.9 motor. Of course you could still throw an SC on that too.
Believe me, blown 5.9s are way fun, even moreso with a 5spd.

Makes for an extremely fun driver but I don't think it will beat an auto trans in the 1/4 mile (if you even care about that stuff)
Available trans/axle gearing means you don't spend long enough in 1st and 2nd gear to get anywhere near the power band and the time spent shifting takes the edge away. Once it's moving it's pretty beastly :-)
Unread 08-30-2008, 10:27 PM   #8
JCZJ
1998 ZJ 

What would become vulnerable to failure after you put on the supercharger kit that rm2001wj posted? In my mind, if youre not tracking the vehicle, and you keep the boost on the low side, it would be fine..wouldn't it? I'd imagine that it would put more stress on the engine, but it's not going to make something explode the first time you decide to accelerate a little harder than normal would it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey40 View Post
She can XJ my WJ whenever and however she wants. Hell, I'd let her CJ it, too.
JCZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2008, 10:58 PM   #9
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm2001wj View Post
I think KRC is about the only place you can get an SC kit for a ZJ. This link will help.

http://www.krcperformance.com/krc/in...mart&Itemid=26
thanks....I was going to post this same link for him. Th eonly reason I haven't done it is that I think 4k is a bit mych for 89 ponies. Would rather just stroke or get a bigger motor for that price.
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2008, 08:40 AM   #10
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZJ View Post
What would become vulnerable to failure after you put on the supercharger kit that rm2001wj posted? In my mind, if youre not tracking the vehicle, and you keep the boost on the low side, it would be fine..wouldn't it? I'd imagine that it would put more stress on the engine, but it's not going to make something explode the first time you decide to accelerate a little harder than normal would it?
Actually, as long as detonation in the cylinders can be prevented, supercharging puts a surprisingly small amount of extra stress on the engine or the drive train. The main reason for this is that the extra power comes on gradually and not all at once. That means engine parts and drivetrain parts are moving as increasing power is being produced. If maximum power could be applied all at once to a non-moving vehicle, any number of things could break.

If detonation occurs, typically it's a piston, and/or a rod, and/or possibly a head gasket that goes. More strongly built engines can survive brief periods of detonation but not long periods.
rm2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2008, 09:12 AM   #11
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Found the writeup. Check this bad boy out. Great read
http://www.truckinweb.com/brandpages...ker/index.html
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.