5.2 replacing head, any cheap mods? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.2 replacing head, any cheap mods?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
41jeep41
2010 JK Wrangler 

5.2 replacing head, any cheap mods?

This is my first post on the ZJ forum, I am a JK owner but wanted something to keep miles and the winter salt off of the JK. I have fallen in love with my 98 5.2 and enjoy the V8 ( ) much more than the puny V6 in the JK.

With that said LONG story short I have to replace the head on the motor, I was wondering if there were any cheap mods I could do to the motor/head since I have the head off of the engine to help increase power at all. If there are any write ups I would greatly appreciate links.

Thank you!

A first time ZJ owner

41jeep41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Get ready for the "Just drop in a 5.9" crowd...

You'll also hear to use the Hughes plenum gasket when you put it back together. They have a pretty good site.. might wanna look it over.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/index.php
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

you mean heads, not head right?

Use thinner head gaskets, as that will increase the compression ratio a little. Gasket match all the ports with a Dremel.

Get aluminum heads, that makes a big difference. They are lighter and you can go 10:1 or more on the compression ratio because they run cooler.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
41jeep41
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the information, I am going to be ordering the other parts I need and putting it all back together later this week.
Unread 12-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41jeep41
Thanks for the information, I am going to be ordering the other parts I need and putting it all back together later this week.
Definitely repair your intakes plenum with the Hughes kit. Maybe do the kegger mod as well.
Unread 12-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

I was reading on another forum to never increase the engine compression without replacing the piston rings. They will break. FYI
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
41jeep41
2010 JK Wrangler 

Ended up keeping it all stock, needed to get it back on the road sooner than I was expecting. Did end up getting a 5.9L air intake manifold and installed that since the old one ended up getting damaged. It may just be me but I swear that the motor is running smoother and that I have more power.
Unread 12-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41jeep41
Ended up keeping it all stock, needed to get it back on the road sooner than I was expecting. Did end up getting a 5.9L air intake manifold and installed that since the old one ended up getting damaged. It may just be me but I swear that the motor is running smoother and that I have more power.
Plenum is probably still good. I would've still replaced the plate with an aluminum plate...you'll be tearing into it sometime to replace that.
Unread 12-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
41jeep41
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopez View Post
Plenum is probably still good. I would've still replaced the plate with an aluminum plate...you'll be tearing into it sometime to replace that.
I would have liked to but like I said I ended up having to get her back on the road much sooner than I expected. I will most likely open her back up this summer.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.