5.2 replacing head, any cheap mods? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 5.2 replacing head, any cheap mods?

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
41jeep41
2010 JK Wrangler 

5.2 replacing head, any cheap mods?

This is my first post on the ZJ forum, I am a JK owner but wanted something to keep miles and the winter salt off of the JK. I have fallen in love with my 98 5.2 and enjoy the V8 ( ) much more than the puny V6 in the JK.

With that said LONG story short I have to replace the head on the motor, I was wondering if there were any cheap mods I could do to the motor/head since I have the head off of the engine to help increase power at all. If there are any write ups I would greatly appreciate links.

Thank you!

A first time ZJ owner

41jeep41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Get ready for the "Just drop in a 5.9" crowd...

You'll also hear to use the Hughes plenum gasket when you put it back together. They have a pretty good site.. might wanna look it over.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/index.php
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

you mean heads, not head right?

Use thinner head gaskets, as that will increase the compression ratio a little. Gasket match all the ports with a Dremel.

Get aluminum heads, that makes a big difference. They are lighter and you can go 10:1 or more on the compression ratio because they run cooler.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
41jeep41
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the information, I am going to be ordering the other parts I need and putting it all back together later this week.
Unread 12-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
Scopez
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41jeep41
Thanks for the information, I am going to be ordering the other parts I need and putting it all back together later this week.
Definitely repair your intakes plenum with the Hughes kit. Maybe do the kegger mod as well.
Scopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

I was reading on another forum to never increase the engine compression without replacing the piston rings. They will break. FYI
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
41jeep41
2010 JK Wrangler 

Ended up keeping it all stock, needed to get it back on the road sooner than I was expecting. Did end up getting a 5.9L air intake manifold and installed that since the old one ended up getting damaged. It may just be me but I swear that the motor is running smoother and that I have more power.
Unread 12-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Scopez
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41jeep41
Ended up keeping it all stock, needed to get it back on the road sooner than I was expecting. Did end up getting a 5.9L air intake manifold and installed that since the old one ended up getting damaged. It may just be me but I swear that the motor is running smoother and that I have more power.
Plenum is probably still good. I would've still replaced the plate with an aluminum plate...you'll be tearing into it sometime to replace that.
Scopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
41jeep41
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopez View Post
Plenum is probably still good. I would've still replaced the plate with an aluminum plate...you'll be tearing into it sometime to replace that.
I would have liked to but like I said I ended up having to get her back on the road much sooner than I expected. I will most likely open her back up this summer.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.